alignment woes

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Latreg
Sojourner

alignment woes

Postby Latreg » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:44 pm

only thing worse than mindless exp is mindless alignment work. Area little mobs repeat repeat repeat. How about a component based cleric spell? Similar to rejuv. if you want to go good you'd need to find a good aligned cleric of (fill in level here) the component would be x amount of plats per spell. In other words it would be a donation. Make it only work in the room directly outside the clerics guild. Or just put a mob there. I have heard there are a couple of spots with items or mobs that will change your alignment a little but where and what they are I have no idea. And I doubt they are in any convient areas.
Talona responds to your petition with 'Sweet, I fixed something!'
Talona LFG: [55 Evil Human Nec] 'Don't make me mud castrate you all.'
Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:09 pm

Alignment was already addressed for 2.0 somewhere.

I believe it was stated that there would no longer be a volatile alignment system based on numbers. You picked an alignment based on one of the 9 types (LG/NG/CG/LN/N/CN/LE/NE/CE), and that's where you stayed. Alignment shifts were going to be done via hardcoded quests and/or RP-Q intervention, I believe.

Of course, that may have all changed or I could be wrong somewhere. But I do recall that information being passed along somewhere. I can't find the link and I'm much too lazy right now to go delving into the old threads.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Guardias
Sojourner

Postby Guardias » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:27 am

That is all well and good for the future when 2.0 is implemented, but until that possibly distant date this issue should be handled. I personally like the idea of either paying for a mob to change my alignment or making a spell for clerics like the "atonement" of D&D 3.5, that would help change alignment. As it is, good races may change their alignment at will, while we few evils are stuck at -1000 because there are so few things we can kill that will dig us out of this hole. kudoes to Ltreg for brining such an annoying problem to light.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. *Voltaire*

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts. *Bertrand Russel*
Marthammor
Staff Member - Areas
Location: On a Rocky Tor Overlooking a Storm-Ridden Landscape

Postby Marthammor » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:27 am

There is at least one mob in the game that changes your alignment for a fee, and it is in a fairly accessible area (unless you're evil race) if you don't mind traveling.
Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:58 pm

Marthammor wrote:There is at least one mob in the game that changes your alignment for a fee, and it is in a fairly accessible area (unless you're evil race) if you don't mind traveling.

Correct I mentioned that in my post, but why does it have to be such a p.i.t.a.? And as you mentioned if you are evil race....... I realize it's like repairing a old car when you are just going to buy a new one anyway, but until that day comes we would still like to get more enjoyment out of what we have.
Talona responds to your petition with 'Sweet, I fixed something!'

Talona LFG: [55 Evil Human Nec] 'Don't make me mud castrate you all.'

Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:16 pm

While it's great that there's a mob in the game that does alignment, one point of align from evil to good to cost 70 plats is nothing more than a career player's option to salvation. Not only do most casual players have just pocket change and not k's of plats, it just seems out of place to buy ONE alignment point. Meanwhile, when you kill a -1000 align mob, it's RANDOM in its effect of dropping your align at all. Just how many times have I had characters clear out SH and not gain any points at all. Just a complete and utter waste of real life time.

RL time is the main bearing now regarding if I can play here. And I'll be damned if I waste mine on a 'chance' to gain or lose align points, meanwhile hoping for 2.0. I do wish more temp fixes were offered for decent concerns such as this.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:01 pm

Don't go evil in the first place, if you're going to complain about raising your align in SH. Have you considered the wolves in Foggy Woods? I was stuck doing those on Toril1 before SH even came in, and I did those until I hit -850 align, and thereafter I went to SS. Once I hit neutral, the fish on Skeldrach Lake raised it to +350, and from there it was easy going back up to the +1000 side. I did all of that solo in 40 hours play time with my monk.

I didn't have the luxury of areas like most casters do.

Honestly, yes it does suck and it is boring and a ridiculous time sink, but if you choose to go evil, then you have to face the consequences of that choice. Some of us (druids and rangers) are stuck with our alignment not because we chose it, but because someone's design flaw a decade ago dictated that there were no such thing as good/evil druids or neutral/evil rangers. There are several FR deities that allow these, and I sincerely hope that they're an option in 2.0.

But you can't complain about something you intentionally chose. That's like blaming the staff for losing all of your plats on the Tinker machines.

Just an FYI, as I'm not sure what class you're doing align work on, but as long as the mob's alignment is below yours, you're going to raise alignment. You're not stuck doing alignment in SH forever. While the first 150 points are the hardest to raise, you only need to do that if you're actually below that level of evil.

If you're a melee class other than a rogue, you should consider asking to tag along with a caster who needs to do align work, or wait for the next multi day I guess.

Right now, asking for improvements to the mud only detracts from the real project. Alignment overhaul was slated to be done long ago, and it requires enough work that it was deemed necessary to be included in 2.0. While that might be another 3 months or even 6, with the amount of time you'd spend complaining you could've fixed that character long before then.

Just my thoughts, don't take it as an attack.

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:32 pm

It's not a definite in gaining a point when your align is lower. I'm not sure why. I did 2 warriors, and some other character I don't play in SH. Doesn't make sense to gain 1 point doing SH, then in another run, 4 points. Some mobs with red auras will make you go from -398 to -399. Like orcs, or other stupid shit. Alignment has been complained about for a long time and nobody does anything...save a mob that's 70 plats per use. Then the response was 'don't use him.' when someone says 70p EACH point is too much. how many K are you willing do dump to save yourself MINDLESS hours of align for no good reason. RL is more useful than sleeping behind the computer at this rate.

Let alone SH doesn't repop unless unoccupied. Making it less than fun..ah well. I just pray this 2.0, however far away it is, will cure these woes.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:42 pm

I'd spend 11k on the mob. That'd be enough to get you from -1000 straight to SS (which is good from -850 and beyond like I said earlier), which will raise your align to neutral in about 1 hour with a good nuker.

It takes roughly 4 mobs to raise your alignment one point when you hit that low. And while it does seem to be a bit random, I think it's more of an algorithm based on your align and the mobs' when they die. There's instances when you're raising neutral align out by TP where you can gain 2 points per mob and some you only gain 1. It's kinda pointless to argue that detail.

You can easily make 11k on the auction. Just sell 2-3 decent zone items that you don't need. The inflation problem doesn't just apply to equipment this wipe. With the way mobs drop coins now, people have more plat than they know what to do with. I spent over 200k buying equipment for guildies off the auction a couple of years ago just because I didn't have a need for it. I still have plenty to go around between all of my characters if I need it for anything.

I'd offer you a loan, but that'd be defeating the spirit of this post. :P

Unless of course, you have something for my anti I could buy....

Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:05 pm

Thilindel wrote:Meanwhile, when you kill a -1000 align mob, it's RANDOM in its effect of dropping your align at all. Just how many times have I had characters clear out SH

That's just simply not accurate.

It is supposed to be much more difficult to go from being evil to going good than vice versa. Just because you don't notch every kill doesn't mean something isn't happening. The simple point of the matter is it shouldn't be like flipping a switch and saying "oh I think I'll be benevolent today". It's a life choice and it should be reflected as such. For neutral characters, yes life may suck because there just aren't any good-aligned zone mobs, but hey that's doesn't mean you need a quick-fix solution.

Also there are other zones w/ -1000 mobs.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:10 pm

Yasden wrote:I'd spend 11k on the mob. That'd be enough to get you from -1000 straight to SS (which is good from -850 and beyond like I said earlier), which will raise your align to neutral in about 1 hour with a good nuker.

It takes roughly 4 mobs to raise your alignment one point when you hit that low. And while it does seem to be a bit random, I think it's more of an algorithm based on your align and the mobs' when they die. There's instances when you're raising neutral align out by TP where you can gain 2 points per mob and some you only gain 1. It's kinda pointless to argue that detail.

You can easily make 11k on the auction. Just sell 2-3 decent zone items that you don't need. The inflation problem doesn't just apply to equipment this wipe. With the way mobs drop coins now, people have more plat than they know what to do with. I spent over 200k buying equipment for guildies off the auction a couple of years ago just because I didn't have a need for it. I still have plenty to go around between all of my characters if I need it for anything.

I'd offer you a loan, but that'd be defeating the spirit of this post. :P

Unless of course, you have something for my anti I could buy....

I dont want to change align, I just want money for reimbursement of the pink love gaurantee :( I take donations!

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”