Chicken or the Egg?

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
loshaenar
Sojourner

Chicken or the Egg?

Postby loshaenar » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:10 am

i found it quite funny recently to have a trade post of mine deleted by an at 100 hours uptime because i put the words quest stuffs into my WTF.

it's at moments like this that i ponder the following:

- there's not a single person online at keys to xp with, let alone zone, and we have been told explicitly that multi is not an option.

- occasionally people log in at night to do eq trading. In fact, it's become more frequent since the mud became one long boot after another. It is the only way to obtain certain items. Let's be honest here, there's a relatively small proportion of the real world who can camp MH, ash etc. boot after boot to gather quest pieces..

- so if u can't xp, and u can't zone, and u can't ever find any rares after 10 minutes of uptime.... what exactly does the average schmuck do on this game? (apart from post obnoxious bbs posts).

the point is that you may want to consider relaxing the explicit rules about trading quest items.... people trade everything here... even tia gear. If the game uptimes are not going to change..in spite of recent talks to the contrary, then completing quests without trading for pieces is not going to happen. In fact...you're actually discriminating through a lack of action.

How an admin can find nothing to do at 100 hours uptime, apart from deleting trade posts and disapproving char names is just baffling. Or is this person as bored as me?

seriously...
Corth
Sojourner

Re: Chicken or the Egg?

Postby Corth » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:46 am

loshaenar wrote:- so if u can't xp, and u can't zone, and u can't ever find any rares after 10 minutes of uptime.... what exactly does the average schmuck do on this game? (apart from post obnoxious bbs posts).

You wait until Quality Product (tm) is released. Who do you think we are... Hertz?!
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:47 am

Looks like 'obnoxious bbs posts' wins the day. Sorry :)

Ok seriously.. can't sleep tonight.. its 5AM. Went online to see whats happening. 14 mortals visible. 7 have the (AFK) flag. Nobody answers OOC so I'm thinking most if not all of the others are afk too.

The game has broken down at night. Just like it broke down a while back 24/7 for evils. Not sure how it is during the day when most people are working but I'm gonna guess it isn't much better. Soon this is how it will be all the time. I've seen it happen before in different venues. The mud cannot handle another halving of the pbase and remain a viable game. Its on its last legs right now. A few more people leave.. can't say exactly how many, and you will lose critical mass. After that it will be planned zones only and then nothing but this old bbs and our obnoxious posts. :)

Corth
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:26 pm

loshaenar wrote:
the point is that you may want to consider relaxing the explicit rules about trading quest items....

Not exactly any kind of solution. They simply need a system of zone resetting that doesn't depend on an Imm rebooting the MUD once in a while. It's kind of retarded that the MUD can be up for any length of time with no desireable loot to get. That's <i>half the point</i> of a MUD!
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:43 pm

loshaenar wrote:the point is that you may want to consider relaxing the explicit rules about trading quest items.... people trade everything here... even tia gear. If the game uptimes are not going to change..in spite of recent talks to the contrary, then completing quests without trading for pieces is not going to happen. In fact...you're actually discriminating through a lack of action.

We'll discuss relaxing those rules. I don't know that anythign will come of it, but we'll take it into consideration.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:45 pm

Corth wrote:You wait until Quality Product (tm) is released. Who do you think we are... Hertz?!

Come on now. I responded frankly and honestly, and you're going to twist my words around in other threads? That's just tacky and you know it.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:50 pm

Corth wrote:Ok seriously.. can't sleep tonight.. its 5AM. Went online to see whats happening. 14 mortals visible. 7 have the (AFK) flag. Nobody answers OOC so I'm thinking most if not all of the others are afk too.

The game has broken down at night. Just like it broke down a while back 24/7 for evils.

Corth, we know that the game doesn't have as many players as it used to. Your informal study could use a little more work though. We do have people that continue to play. People still zone. Late-late-late night has been nearly dead here for as long as I can remember. Back in the hey-day of Toril 1 I used to do all of my code reboots at around 5AM EST, and there was never more than 25-30 people on.

Anyways, why don't you log on at night and lead a zone? You used to be pretty good at that. Maybe you could try out the new CC...
Marthammor
Staff Member - Areas
Location: On a Rocky Tor Overlooking a Storm-Ridden Landscape

Postby Marthammor » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:25 pm

I think there is a log someplace of the last time he tried the current CC....
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:45 pm

Marthammor wrote:I think there is a log someplace of the last time he tried the current CC....

cough.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:32 pm

Shevarash wrote:
loshaenar wrote:the point is that you may want to consider relaxing the explicit rules about trading quest items.... people trade everything here... even tia gear. If the game uptimes are not going to change..in spite of recent talks to the contrary, then completing quests without trading for pieces is not going to happen. In fact...you're actually discriminating through a lack of action.

We'll discuss relaxing those rules. I don't know that anythign will come of it, but we'll take it into consideration.

Since everyone knows that people trade quest items, I see no reason (now) to continue an obsolete rule. Look at the auction and tell me how many of those items are for quests. Heck, take a look at the amount of quests and items in this game and tell me what % of items aren't used in quests now!

Just a friendly suggestion, but giving a little player leeway on seriously small things like this (and other things) can really improve the morale of those of us still around. :)
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:56 pm

Yeah, its been over two years since I came out of retirement after a year to lead a super CC spank. At this point I literally don't remember what circles my spells go into. If 2.0 is released (ok your right its tacky.. no more Quality Product TM), I plan to come back.. maybe give it a shot then!

Goddamned slippery mage.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:37 pm

I honestly log on to log off - in that, I see who's on. Find who's not doing a damned thing. See who's AFK but can't tell because of the anti-%% trigger, etc.

Just why is it we can't limitedly multi? At least 'til 2.0. There just aren't enough players as it is now. That perpetuates, because I don't want to play due to that fact alone. Seriously, why can't we have 2 or 3 players on at once? At worst, have 2...

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”