The numbers game

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Gormal
Sojourner

The numbers game

Postby Gormal » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:33 am

I was just curious if a decision had been reached on whether or not to switch from the current vague combat system chocked full of adjectives, and move towards allowing people to know exactly how much damage they're doing, how hard mobs hit. I think that the changes to stat display was a step in the right direction, but the current messages are so uninformative you really have little clue about how well you might be doing.

Now I know a lot of people will cry to the heavens about flavo(u)r, but I really think that allowing players a deeper insight into combat engines and character performance would be a positive change. This kind of information doesn't just make the game easy, it lets players theorycraft a bit, and min/max to their hearts content. Playing a game now that requires you to understand some of the more intricate mechanics has been quite fun.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:30 pm

I think we came up with "a toggle would be a great idea."
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:03 pm

Since when did ideas show up on these forums?
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:14 pm

Can we have damage meters and heal meters too?
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Malvareth
Sojourner

Postby Malvareth » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:03 pm

I'd be happy with a system of damage adjectives that didn't simply depend on how much of a mob's current hp you're taking away. It's silly how everyone's barely grazing a mob at first no matter what, and inflicting grievous wounds toward the end even if they're wielding pixie sticks.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:07 pm

Malvareth wrote:I'd be happy with a system of damage adjectives that didn't simply depend on how much of a mob's current hp you're taking away. It's silly how everyone's barely grazing a mob at first no matter what, and inflicting grievous wounds toward the end even if they're wielding pixie sticks.

Being addressed in 2.0. Shevarash has even posted examples of how the descriptions look, and has mentioned something about probably implementing a toggle to make both "numbers" fiends and "flavor" fiends happy. :)
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:19 pm

there was a gc command when sojourn 3 came back that showed group combat statistics - dmg done (spell, melee) dmg taken, etc. could always turn that bad boy back on :P
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:00 pm

Teyaha wrote:there was a gc command when sojourn 3 came back that showed group combat statistics - dmg done (spell, melee) dmg taken, etc. could always turn that bad boy back on :P

In the alpha, yeah ;) More stats than you could ever care about.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”