Botting vs. AFK

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
jau
Sojourner

Botting vs. AFK

Postby jau » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:01 pm

Here is a full conversation with Bane and an anonymous person who I will not reveal:

1 You petition 'hi'
3 Bane responds to your petition with 'Hello there.'
5 You petition 'how come i got caged ?'
7 Bane responds to your petition with 'Because when I spotted you in Jau's group repeatedly assisting, and when I sent petitions asking if you were at keys over a good 15-20 minutes I received no response.'
9 You petition 'i was assisting o.O'
11 You petition 'damn :( .. but it woudl be okay if i wasnt assisnt correct ? because i wasnt casting spells or displacing.. or anything ?'
12 Bane responds to your petition with 'Read help robot for me, and then answer that question for me.'
14 You petition 'hmm.. i suppose being afk and getting xp counts as character activity ?'
16 Bane responds to your petition with 'If you're afk, and not assisting, and simply following is fine. But any action on your part, when you aren't her e is considered botting.'
18 You petition 'in my defense, i didnt mean to auto assist :( im a illusionist with less than like 5/5 hit/dam.. i doubt my assisting would have helped the xp group xp faster.. and i doubt i could have gotten any damage xp from that'
20 You petition 'i dont even think im wielding a weapon either..'
22 Bane responds to your petition with 'Be that as it may, it's not an excuse. You've been through this before regardless of the fact and you should kno w better by now.'
24 You petition 'but .. in what way could an auto assist trigger have been benefitial to me.. xp wise ?'
26 Bane responds to your petition with 'An action was happening that you were not at keys to do, an automatic one. I.e. a bot. What you gained doesn't g et taken into account here, it's well documented and within the rules.'
28 You petition 'i see.'
30 You petition 'can you check logs to see if i really was auto assisting ? or if i was just being hit by a "hitall" ?'
32 Bane responds to your petition with 'I'm afraid we don't log specific actions you do.. Regardless of the fact, if that was the case you're still able to notch skills, such as dodge if you're the target, and not at keys. So here's whats going to happen.'
34 You petition 'but i was never the target ..'
36 You petition 'nor did i notch dodge im willing to bet'
38 Bane responds to your petition with 'Quite possible you didn't notch dodge, but there's really not an arguement here, nor is this going to really hel p your plight. When I checked, you were assisting, and I checked 3x, when I sent petitions.'
40 Bane responds to your petition with 'Since this is your third strike, and you weren't actively casting when I checked, your dodge is getting set to 0 , and your spec illusion is getting halved.'
42 You petition 'so if i am afk, and a mob comes and is aggro to me, then it is considered botting, and it can be punishable ?'
44 You petition 'oh'
46 You petition 'okay'
48 Bane responds to your petition with 'If you're afk, in a group while being led around, yes.'
50 You petition 'ahh.. even hitall counts ?'
52 Bane responds to your petition with 'Let me rephrase here. Any action that benefits you, the gain of exp, the gain of skills while you are not here i s botting. Period.'
54 You petition 'oh.. okay so.. Bane responds to your petition with 'If you're afk, and not assisting, and simply following is fine. But any action on y our part, when you aren't here is considered botting.' is false correct ?'
56 You petition '.. just want to make sure..'
58 Bane responds to your petition with 'Right, and I'd normally let that slide, like I did with another person in the group.'
60 You petition 'oh.. but it is illegal correct ?'
62 Bane responds to your petition with 'Right. It's illegal, but i'm overlooking that aspect of this situation on you.'
64 You petition 'nods, i appreciate that.'
66 You petition 'i just wanted to clear that up.. so i dont get dinged again ..'
68 Bane responds to your petition with 'Ok, so let's review. Being in a group, and receiving a benefit is consider 1. Botting 2. Not Botting 3. Ohio.'
70 Bane responds to your petition with 'Which is the correct answer?'
72 You petition '.. do i get life lines ?'
74 You petition 'numba 1 btw :D'
76 Bane responds to your petition with 'Keep your nose clean, and you'll be fine. Good answer.'

The question is:
Why is it considered being a 'robot' if you are not assisting but just following and no triggers/actions being used?

help robot
ROBOTS ACTIONS

A robot is a character that can run independently by triggers and/or
actions through a client such as Tin-Tin or Zmud. Auto actions/triggers
are almost always allowed on TorilMUD, however should you keep triggers
running while away from the keys for more than a few moments, you will
be considered as running a robot.

The first line defines what 'robot' means: A person is 'independently' running by triggers. If the person is _not_ running any triggers, then he is not a robot.

For such things as eating, drinking, retrieving weapons, and looting corpses,
we have no care, HOWEVER you are running a robot if you leave the
keyboard for an extended amount of time while continuing to have character
activity which allows you to play the game. If this sounds like
something you do, chances are you are running a robot.

Running a 'robot' is defined above as "independently running by triggers". If the person is _not_ running a robot, and leaving the keys (AFK), then that's not being a 'robot'. However, if you read line #16 in the full conversation, you can see Bane stating this. Surely enough, he contradicts his statement in line #52.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:07 pm

Because you could have notched 1hb while doing it. Rules aren't class specific unfortunately.

Interesting enough, Jau is the original poster of this post.

Bane responds to your petition with 'Because when I spotted you in Jau's group repeatedly assisting, and when I sent petitions asking if you were at keys over a good 15-20 minutes I received no response.'

Are you posting for someone else or for your multi?
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Dalar
Sojourner

Re: Botting vs. AFK

Postby Dalar » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:12 pm

jau wrote:Here is a full conversation with Bane and an anonymous person who I will not reveal:

1 You petition 'hi'
3 Bane responds to your petition with 'Hello there.'
5 You petition 'how come i got caged ?'
7 Bane responds to your petition with 'Because when I spotted you in Jau's group repeatedly assisting, and when I sent petitions asking if you were at keys over a good 15-20 minutes I received no response.'
9 You petition 'i was assisting o.O'
11 You petition 'damn :( .. but it woudl be okay if i wasnt assisnt correct ? because i wasnt casting spells or displacing.. or anything ?'
12 Bane responds to your petition with 'Read help robot for me, and then answer that question for me.'
14 You petition 'hmm.. i suppose being afk and getting xp counts as character activity ?'
16 Bane responds to your petition with 'If you're afk, and not assisting, and simply following is fine. But any action on your part, when you aren't her e is considered botting.'
18 You petition 'in my defense, i didnt mean to auto assist :( im a illusionist with less than like 5/5 hit/dam.. i doubt my assisting would have helped the xp group xp faster.. and i doubt i could have gotten any damage xp from that'
20 You petition 'i dont even think im wielding a weapon either..'
22 Bane responds to your petition with 'Be that as it may, it's not an excuse. You've been through this before regardless of the fact and you should kno w better by now.'
24 You petition 'but .. in what way could an auto assist trigger have been benefitial to me.. xp wise ?'
26 Bane responds to your petition with 'An action was happening that you were not at keys to do, an automatic one. I.e. a bot. What you gained doesn't g et taken into account here, it's well documented and within the rules.'
28 You petition 'i see.'
30 You petition 'can you check logs to see if i really was auto assisting ? or if i was just being hit by a "hitall" ?'
32 Bane responds to your petition with 'I'm afraid we don't log specific actions you do.. Regardless of the fact, if that was the case you're still able to notch skills, such as dodge if you're the target, and not at keys. So here's whats going to happen.'
34 You petition 'but i was never the target ..'
36 You petition 'nor did i notch dodge im willing to bet'
38 Bane responds to your petition with 'Quite possible you didn't notch dodge, but there's really not an arguement here, nor is this going to really hel p your plight. When I checked, you were assisting, and I checked 3x, when I sent petitions.'
40 Bane responds to your petition with 'Since this is your third strike, and you weren't actively casting when I checked, your dodge is getting set to 0 , and your spec illusion is getting halved.'
42 You petition 'so if i am afk, and a mob comes and is aggro to me, then it is considered botting, and it can be punishable ?'
44 You petition 'oh'
46 You petition 'okay'
48 Bane responds to your petition with 'If you're afk, in a group while being led around, yes.'
50 You petition 'ahh.. even hitall counts ?'
52 Bane responds to your petition with 'Let me rephrase here. Any action that benefits you, the gain of exp, the gain of skills while you are not here i s botting. Period.'
54 You petition 'oh.. okay so.. Bane responds to your petition with 'If you're afk, and not assisting, and simply following is fine. But any action on y our part, when you aren't here is considered botting.' is false correct ?'
56 You petition '.. just want to make sure..'
58 Bane responds to your petition with 'Right, and I'd normally let that slide, like I did with another person in the group.'
60 You petition 'oh.. but it is illegal correct ?'
62 Bane responds to your petition with 'Right. It's illegal, but i'm overlooking that aspect of this situation on you.'
64 You petition 'nods, i appreciate that.'
66 You petition 'i just wanted to clear that up.. so i dont get dinged again ..'
68 Bane responds to your petition with 'Ok, so let's review. Being in a group, and receiving a benefit is consider 1. Botting 2. Not Botting 3. Ohio.'
70 Bane responds to your petition with 'Which is the correct answer?'
72 You petition '.. do i get life lines ?'
74 You petition 'numba 1 btw :D'
76 Bane responds to your petition with 'Keep your nose clean, and you'll be fine. Good answer.'

The question is:
Why is it considered being a 'robot' if you are not assisting but just following and no triggers/actions being used?

help robot
ROBOTS ACTIONS

A robot is a character that can run independently by triggers and/or
actions through a client such as Tin-Tin or Zmud. Auto actions/triggers
are almost always allowed on TorilMUD, however should you keep triggers
running while away from the keys for more than a few moments, you will
be considered as running a robot.

The first line defines what 'robot' means: A person is 'independently' running by triggers. If the person is _not_ running any triggers, then he is not a robot.

For such things as eating, drinking, retrieving weapons, and looting corpses,
we have no care, HOWEVER you are running a robot if you leave the
keyboard for an extended amount of time while continuing to have character
activity which allows you to play the game. If this sounds like
something you do, chances are you are running a robot.

Running a 'robot' is defined above as "independently running by triggers". If the person is _not_ running a robot, and leaving the keys (AFK), then that's not being a 'robot'. However, if you read line #16 in the full conversation, you can see Bane stating this. Surely enough, he contradicts his statement in line #52.

quoting for hilarity

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:15 pm

In all honesty if you input NO commands at all to the mud then the mud kicks your link due to inactivity that's why people have stay alive triggers whatever they may be. So if you're leaching for more than 5 or so minutes then you're botting because you have to be inputting some command to keep connection alive.

shrug my 2 cents
The best of WTF statments of '06
--------------------------------------------------------
Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'
Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'
Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:18 pm

Pril wrote:In all honesty if you input NO commands at all to the mud then the mud kicks your link due to inactivity that's why people have stay alive triggers whatever they may be. So if you're leaching for more than 5 or so minutes then you're botting because you have to be inputting some command to keep connection alive.

shrug my 2 cents

Your epic lulz radar really make me sad.

Ruagh
Sojourner

Postby Ruagh » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:20 pm

Quite clearly, assisting is within the bot rules.
Although Jau is right "by the spirit", he is wrong "by the law". It IS botting, and Bane is right, although prolly a bit too strict.

Hitting by an aggro/by hitall should NOT be considered botting, and Bane is wrong about it.

Just my own very personal opinion.

P.S. the keepalive commands are just "/cr" (enter) for me. It does nothing. So its not a botting as well.
Va'esse deireadh aep eigean... Something is ending...
jau
Sojourner

Postby jau » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:22 pm

Pril wrote:In all honesty if you input NO commands at all to the mud then the mud kicks your link due to inactivity that's why people have stay alive triggers whatever they may be. So if you're leaching for more than 5 or so minutes then you're botting because you have to be inputting some command to keep connection alive.

shrug my 2 cents

No, I'm not multi-ing. Otherwise, I wouldn't be here. Second, staying alive is not botting. And secondly, why would staying alive be considered botting? For example, if you were following someone (and possibly forgotten that you were following the person), and the person was exping you; however, you did not assist or have any commands whatsoever, would that be considered botting? Btw, are you Bane, just kidding, or am i?
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:25 pm

OK, because from the conversation, it looks like you're playing your illusionist (you claim you're a 5/5 illusionist) in Jau's group and Bane addresses you as if you were afk botting in Jau's group. Jau is the warrior, Jaul is the illusionist. Both are claimed by you on Kegor.

Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:25 pm

jau wrote:

shrug my 2 cents

No, I'm not multi-ing. Otherwise, I wouldn't be here. Second, staying alive is not botting. And secondly, why would staying alive be considered botting? For example, if you were following someone (and possibly forgotten that you were following the person), and the person was exping you; however, you did not assist or have any commands whatsoever, would that be considered botting? Btw, are you Bane, just kidding, or am i?

I R MYSTRA

Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:30 pm

jau wrote:

shrug my 2 cents

look it's simple. You can't gain benefit while inputting any commands. If someone is dragging you around you are gaining benefits because you are gaining exp. if at the same time you have a trigger hitting save ever 3 minutes or whatever you're inputting commands while benfiting.

case closed. and see above message for your bane question

Kissa
Sojourner

Postby Kissa » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:38 pm

Because you could have notched 1hb while doing it. Rules aren't class specific unfortunately.

cant notch that with no weapon in hand..
maybe notch "hitting" :D ?
jau
Sojourner

Postby jau » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:39 pm

Sure, you can say that Pril. But that is the interpretation of Bane, not the rules of the server.

Read the second paragraph, "For such things such as eating...we have no care."

I'm assuming "SAVING" would be considered in this. Relook at the server's rules vs. Bane's interpretation.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:46 pm

jau wrote:Sure, you can say that Pril. But that is the interpretation of Bane, not the rules of the server.

Read the second paragraph, "For such things such as eating...we have no care."

I'm assuming "SAVING" would be considered in this. Relook at the server's rules vs. Bane's interpretation.

Wait, which char is caged?

jau
Sojourner

Postby jau » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:53 pm

We're not caring who is caged, but what the interpretation of botting is.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:59 pm

I care who is caged because if you are posting for "yourself" I think this thread is hilarious.

jau
Sojourner

Postby jau » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:09 pm

I already mentioned it's not me. Read the above. I got the logs from the person and I'm having a hard time understanding the meaning of robot. That's why I posted it up.
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:11 pm

So long as we are quoting only specific sections of help robot, how's this snippet.

Note: The spirit of this rule will be enforced. That means if you are doing
something that falls within a robot-type category that has not been addressed
explicitly by these rules, you can and will be punished.

These laws are subject to change at any time without warning and may
be amended based on the situation at hand and as unforeseen situations
arise. The interpretation of these rules and how they apply to player
situations is SOLELY at the discretion of the TorilMUD Staff.
Eilistraee
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:22 pm

Isn't it straight forward common sense that if someone (the leech) following a group and making any gain of it should be considered botting? How is it not if a player were to make a gain, while not at the keys for a substantial quantity of time.

I'm not completely against botting, given how pointless and tedious skills practice is - at least until 2.0 comes out *crickets chirping!*

Isn't Jau.x the one that runs around always looking at players to see their eq?
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:26 pm

Eilistraee wrote:So long as we are quoting only specific sections of help robot, how's this snippet.

Owned?

jau
Sojourner

Postby jau » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:43 pm

Eilistraee wrote:So long as we are quoting only specific sections of help robot, how's this snippet.

Again, in the paragraph it says, "robot-type". As _DEFINED_ above, someone who is independenly using action/triggers. So are you telling me you are about to change at this time?
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:55 pm

I'm stating that it was interpeted at the discretion of the TorilMUD Staff that the action in question was botting.

If you or your friend really wish to risk being punished for botting by pushing at these rules, then we'll see how they are interpeted when you or your friend are caught.

Be here to play the game folks. It's not that difficult a concept to grasp.
Eilistraee
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:02 pm

jau wrote:

Again, in the paragraph it says, "robot-type". As _DEFINED_ above, someone who is independenly using action/triggers. So are you telling me you are about to change at this time?

DO NOT run triggers while afk that allow you to:

* Auto-fight during initiated combat, ie autobash, autocircle,
autorescue (anything that automatically makes your character
function durring combat without you entering a command)

Jau initiated combat, your friend assisted. What part of DO NOT do you not understand? I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it.

Thrand
Sojourner

Postby Thrand » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:02 pm

Why not try something like this:

#tr {*petition} {petit I cant talk right now, I am concentrating on skill practice/exp}

#tr {*tell} {reply I believe you are a spy for the gods, yet I can't chat right
now as I am concentrating on skill practice/exp}

But, make sure you are at keys when you use these triggers.!
jau
Sojourner

Postby jau » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:08 pm

Dalar wrote:
jau wrote:

Jau initiated combat, your friend assisted. What part of DO NOT do you not understand? I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it. I hope you understood the last sentence because I used do and not in it.

You are misunderstanding the situation. I'm asking if you are AFK and following a tank, or such, BUT _NOT_ assisting, while receiving exp, is that botting? I'm using the conversation as an example. I hope you understand the last sentence because I used _NOT_
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:11 pm

If just following, which allows you to gain xp, as a result of another player(s) efforts, then it is botting. It is so because in order for you to follow, some action is performed by a client that allows you to sustain contact to the mud. Straightforward enough.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:16 pm

Hrm, boiled down would be if your character can gain in anyway while you are afk for extended times, you are botting. I can only see an exception of following someone in that you are not grouped. But being grouped while other party members are killing enables you to make xp gains, thus botting - your triggers are keeping you connected.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:20 pm

jau wrote:
Dalar wrote:
jau wrote:

You are misunderstanding the situation. I'm asking if you are AFK and following a tank, or such, BUT _NOT_ assisting, while receiving exp, is that botting? I'm using the conversation as an example. I hope you understand the last sentence because I used _NOT_

It doesn't count if you have a trigger to turn off your autoassist when you receive a petition either. Good try though.

Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:22 pm

Thilindel wrote:Hrm, boiled down would be if your character can gain in anyway while you are afk for extended times, you are botting. I can only see an exception of following someone in that you are not grouped. But being grouped while other party members are killing enables you to make xp gains, thus botting - your triggers are keeping you connected.

thanks for explaining what i tried to explain in the um 4th or so post of this thread. Maybe he'll understand it when it comes from someone else.

Kissa
Sojourner

Postby Kissa » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:38 pm

It doesn't count if you have a trigger to turn off your autoassist when you receive a petition either. Good try though.

I think he is asking in general.. from the beginning if there is no autoassist trigger on ever...
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:47 pm

Kissa wrote:

I think he is asking in general.. from the beginning if there is no autoassist trigger on ever...

I'm thinking the answer is no because if Bane spotted Jau's "group" there's usually 3-4 of you following him.

Am I missing something or is this "ask questions that are already answered" day.

Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:49 pm

Seriously, close the thread. It isn't epic anymore now it's just asking the same questions that are already answered in the OP.

Callarduran
Staff Member - Admin

Postby Callarduran » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:43 pm

Agreed. Asked and answered. Locked.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”