A new area project for you guys

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Dalar
Sojourner

A new area project for you guys

Postby Dalar » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:46 pm

Copy CM's rare load rates. Let's say everything is 1-2% load rate on a 20 minute timer. That means a rare has a 3-6% chance to load every hour. 30-60% chance every 10 hours, etc. Also, farming mobs is great because it encourages grouping and people socializing.

You get my point. This game shouldn't be about logging in, checking boot times, then idling. I believe this would help existing questers finish the quests they've taken a billion years to do and newer players a chance to access these rares. Try it out for GC, IC, jot, and muspelheim. Give it a shot before you guys condemn it with your "oh well I had to do the quests when it was hard blah blah blah" comments. Also note those are all zones I'm done with. This isn't about me, it's about eleviating people's frustrations when they quest.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Dulzuth
Sojourner

Re: A new area project for you guys

Postby Dulzuth » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:29 pm

Love the idea personally, would certainly enjoy the game a bit more if I knew something could load for me at anytime =)

I would like to see this implemented.
Last edited by Dulzuth on Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:01 pm

Isn't this the same way EQ and LotR handle their rare spawns? I like the way these games handle the rares, but it never swayed a lot of rare campers; however, they could have a lot more to do with the size of the game rather than the way rares are handled. I like the idea.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:38 pm

I'm a big fan of rares-per-pop. It's quite a lot of work to convert rares over to that schedule though, so it's not an easy fix.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:45 pm

I think you could do at least a zone a week. Hire someone temporarily or something too if you need to. I think it would alleviate enough questing frustration from those who are trying to do the quests but don't have much ptime.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:21 pm

Dalar wrote:I think you could do at least a zone a week. Hire someone temporarily or something too if you need to. I think it would alleviate enough questing frustration from those who are trying to do the quests but don't have much ptime.

Not to mention it would justify the percieved imbalance of quest rewards vs. zone rewards. Having a spawn rate like Dartan suggested would, in my opinion, give better reasoning behind the states behind most quest rewards (as in they'd be "easier" to get).
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:40 pm

Shevarash wrote:I'm a big fan of rares-per-pop. It's quite a lot of work to convert rares over to that schedule though, so it's not an easy fix.

Somehow, that 4+ day uptime is somehow even less appealing than ever. Rares don't add to difficulty, it adds to frustration.
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:36 pm

the majority of eq (and eq2) so-called 'rares' are usually place-holder spawned. having to kill 120 of something to get a chance at your rare to spawn - yeah we dont want that. you dont want that.

dalar's idea is golden though and better fits how often this game is up for 5-6 days at a stretch. sure it may see more of some specific rares introduced into the game at a faster rate, but does that even matter at this point?
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:25 am

Does anything really matter at this point? Sure. Meditate is a good example.

Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:46 am

I think that once-per-boot rares are good, but setting up more farmable stuff outside of zones would be great. What about farmable heal potions, stone staves, etc? Only the elite have the cash currently to support real usage of consumables, but if any player could go grind up some potions, it wouldn't hurt.

Also: A potion that mems your top 3 spells back would be awesome.
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:41 pm

It isn't the once per boot concept that sucks as much as it only loading at the start of a boot. Giving things the chance to load at any given point, even if only once, at least makes hunting rares worthwhile at ANY given moment, not just at boot time.
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'
// Post Count +1
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:39 pm

Dalar wrote:Does anything really matter at this point? Sure. Meditate is a good example.

i was talking about the increased introduction of rares into the games equipment pool. phoniks ftw
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:02 am

Teyaha wrote:
Dalar wrote:Does anything really matter at this point? Sure. Meditate is a good example.

i was talking about the increased introduction of rares into the games equipment pool. phoniks ftw

And I countered with another change that made life easier for people who don't use meditate triggers. I assumed you were hinting that increasing rare rates doesn't matter either because everyone has the items (which is far from true) or people don't play (apparently some do). Nice flame though, wish the moderators did something.

Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:07 am

i think you need to back away from all of this for a while dalar

why are items rare? can it be to piss you off specifically? i doubt that (well...if mystra made it MAYBE)

usually they would be rare to limit how many can be introduced into the game.

but at this point because mudflation has already taken hold, increasing the rate of introduction of rare items into the game now 'matters little'

why you think that has anything at all to do with changing things like meditate is beyond me. why you insist on blowing everything out of proportion into an argument is again beyond my understanding. it's two different things. only thing they have in common would possibly be changes that helped improve the player experience. but i wasnt commenting on the change itself outside of my first sentence saying it was a good idea, but further commenting on how said change would ultimately influence in the mud economy.

if you are truly this bitter about this game, and no longer play it, perhaps you need to take a break from the forums.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:07 am

Teyaha wrote:beyond my understanding.

Understanding of:

a) English
b) How to read the thread

Which is it seriously?

What do you care anyway if he chooses to post despite being bitter? Just because the tone of his posts don't agree with you doesn't change the fact that his ideas are sound.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:32 pm

Teyaha wrote:i think you need to back away from all of this for a while dalar

why are items rare? can it be to piss you off specifically? i doubt that (well...if mystra made it MAYBE)

but at this point because mudflation has already taken hold, increasing the rate of introduction of rare items into the game now 'matters little'

why you think that has anything at all to do with changing things like meditate is beyond me. why you insist on blowing everything out of proportion into an argument is again beyond my understanding. it's two different things. only thing they have in common would possibly be changes that helped improve the player experience. but i wasnt commenting on the change itself outside of my first sentence saying it was a good idea, but further commenting on how said change would ultimately influence in the mud economy.

if you are truly this bitter about this game, and no longer play it, perhaps you need to take a break from the forums.

Quit trolling, it's annoying. And you wonder why your posting style attracts flames.

The introduction of rare items for maybe your knowledgebase of items in game, which is just the low-midlevel stuff. The new gear (ie CM, FK, GD) which aren't that great in item value are still sought after because they aren't Sojourn 3 gear. It has also been hinted there are rares in ChP as well. I'm not going to go into specifics of each and every quest that maybe 5 people have done on the MUD and you have no clue about. Let's end it at this: you're thinking of GC rares (which suck) and I'm thinking of everything that's actually new. Play the game some and get back to me.

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:06 pm

See, there's a reason I typically stay out of threads like this. It's because... SURPRISE! I have no fucking idea what Dartan is talking about.

I leave the point of this post as an exercise to the reader.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:13 pm

Dalar wrote:
Teyaha wrote:i think you need to back away from all of this for a while dalar

Quit trolling, it's annoying. And you wonder why your posting style attracts flames.

The introduction of rare items for maybe your knowledgebase of items in game, which is just the low-midlevel stuff. The new gear (ie CM, FK, GD) which aren't that great in item value are still sought after because they aren't Sojourn 3 gear. It has also been hinted there are rares in ChP as well. I'm not going to go into specifics of each and every quest that maybe 5 people have done on the MUD and you have no clue about. Let's end it at this: you're thinking of GC rares (which suck) and I'm thinking of everything that's actually new. Play the game some and get back to me.

you're assuming a great deal here about what i do and do not know, especially since i havent let on about what i may or may not know about any quest. for all you know, i have that very same text file you all pass around with every quest found in the game to date laid out in exquisite detail.

however that is neither here nor there. my comment again was entirely based on teh games economy and how it may be affected by yet more gear - and then realizing it probably doesnt matter anymore at this point.

it had nothing to do with meditate. my point is just as valid as yours to some degree. you dont have to agree with it, but you dont have to make snotty posts either. not everyone that plays this game will agree with you 100% on everything, and perhaps another player might even have insight into your issues you had not considered.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:29 pm

Sorry, but there is no conspiracy against you. Nobody passes around some magical quest file with every quest detailed.

Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:41 pm

Yeah, the Hulburg zone files are totally 2 years ago now.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:21 pm

Dalar wrote:Sorry, but there is no conspiracy against you. Nobody passes around some magical quest file with every quest detailed.

you are grasping at straws. conspiracy against me? you assume (again. you know what happens when you assume...) i even care what anyone thinks of me. my point about increasing the rate at which rares are introduced into the game is still valid, whether or not yo uagree with it. my point immediately after about how it matters little though seeing as how we have uptimes bordering on a week long where such a rare system was devised back when the game crashed twice a day is also still valid.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:01 am

So you're saying it's OK to have people basically play only after a crash then just log in to check boot times? They should hire you as an area god immediately. You are by far the wisest person on the BBS.

Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:05 am

Teyaha wrote:dalar's idea is golden though and better fits how often this game is up for 5-6 days at a stretch.....

stop trolling your own thread, you arent helping your cause
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:41 am

Teyaha wrote:
Teyaha wrote:dalar's idea is golden though and better fits how often this game is up for 5-6 days at a stretch.....

stop trolling your own thread, you arent helping your cause

I believe I have done nothing to hurt my cause.

Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:54 am

Your cause is just.
Raiwen
Sojourner

Postby Raiwen » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:58 am

Rares only loading at boot is dumb.

It's not 1970 anymore. duh.

It should be fixed.