!ID flag

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Thilindel
Sojourner

!ID flag

Postby Thilindel » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:24 am

Would honestly like to see !ID removed from the game. Especially on weapons and shields!
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:28 pm

Some things need to stay !ID just for the sake that the creator of the zone makes items with specific keywords so that mobs using socials can manipulate them using a unique keyword (instead of crate or wooden, you can use BIGSOCIALCRATE), or can find them easily when working on updating or changing a quest.

Now for player-used items, I agree to the extent that there's absolutely no need to have them. But if you're working on a quest and an item needed for a particular step has a bunch of flags on it like NOGOOD NOEVIL NOBARD NOCLERIC NOWARRIOR NOINVOKER and the like, would you rather know that the item's completely useless to 99-100% of the players or would you rather know that item has some superbly beefed stats and the point value of it upgrades the worth of the final quest item you would receive?

It's a strange logic, but let me explain further. Suppose you're balls-deep in an epic quest, and you have to defeat some summoned demon lord from whatever layer of Baator. He's got some crazy 2h vorpal weapon that does insane amounts of damage to players, decapitates with a 25% chance on hit. You have to turn that weapon in to some nancypants froofroo gold elf along with a bunch of other token items to get your final reward(s). If that weapon was 10d6 10/10 and had a weight of 50 along with pretty much every ANTI- and NO- flag attached to it, along with perm haste and major globe, would you want to know that and lament over a potentially game-killing item or would you rather it just be NO-IDENTIFY and turn it in without ever knowing how truly insane it is? I'd prefer the latter, because it's that kind of curiosity that's kept the players involved over the years. We always wondered just how much damage mobs did.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:50 pm

Sadly, if it wasn't perm haste, or if it didn't have huge hit/dam bonuses it wouldn't matter. Damage dice don't mean shit in current game mechanics, and at the very least, it would be used to see hit/dam and someone would notice something like haste right away. Any other bonus like awareness that isnt immediately apparent is just stupid on a !ID item just like all of the other hidden stats in the game.
Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:05 pm

think I have brought this up a few times. someone will figure out the stats and everyone will know them, there is no point to !id aka crypts mace and the like. If you want to really be creative, make the hit dice random like the proc from the mageblade or the hit damage for that matter. Make them time of day or month specific, you get the idea.
Talona responds to your petition with 'Sweet, I fixed something!'
Talona LFG: [55 Evil Human Nec] 'Don't make me mud castrate you all.'
Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:40 am

<P> You are carrying:
a short bow
a small quiver
[2] a black batwing spellbook

<576h>
<P> w
The Pathway of Peace
Exits: -N -E -S
The grand trade board of Leuthilspar hangs here.

<576h>
<P> exa bow
This bow is made from the wood of a poplar tree, a very supple wood. It's been
bent into its bow shape and held in place with a string made from the tendons
of animals.

<576h>
<P> c 'identify' bow
You start chanting...

<576h>
<P>
Casting: identify *********

<576h>
<P>
Casting: identify *******

<576h>
<P>
Casting: identify ******

<576h>
<P>
Casting: identify *****

<576h>
<P>
Casting: identify ****

<576h>
<P>
Casting: identify ***

<576h>
<P>
Casting: identify **

<576h>
<P>
Casting: identify *

<576h>
<P>
You complete your spell...
Your senses boggle, as you are unable to identify this item.

Heaven forbid the almighty stats on THAT one get out.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”