Archery maybe broken vs. melee?

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Archery maybe broken vs. melee?

Postby Thilindel » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:50 pm

Several test in a row indicate that archery is doing less than dual wielding, despite 3 attacks/round on arch vs. just 2 on melee. Damroll is same for both, and the arrows have more dice. Anybody else notice or just ungodly fluke? I was testing on WD salesmen, and in SSC
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
Lorendel Ebonmist
Sojourner

Re: Archery maybe broken vs. melee?

Postby Lorendel Ebonmist » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:35 am

i would think being slashed in the neck with a longsword is gonna do more damage than being pricked by an arrow
[size=85]Projection makes perception. The world you see is what you give it, nothing more than that... it is a witness of your state of mind, the outside picture of an inward condition. As a man thinketh, so does he perceive. - Anonymous.
[Confuscious say Look and you shall see]
"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl[*]
Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:20 pm

actually I thought this as well, archery didn't appear to do as much damage as it use to, but I too thought it was my imagination, maybe it's not.
Talona responds to your petition with 'Sweet, I fixed something!'
Talona LFG: [55 Evil Human Nec] 'Don't make me mud castrate you all.'
Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Drogga
Sojourner

Postby Drogga » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:25 am

any admin can clarify this? did you guys make unannounced changes?..:P
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:31 pm

Since you caught those up on the status of rerolling stats being suppressed for a week, can someone comment on this as well?
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:55 pm

Nothing was changed recently. I fiddled with the damage control knobs on archery about 10 to 11 months ago, that's about all. There wasn't anything significant noticed then, I expect that like a lot of holdover junk the knobs don't work well either.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:27 am

hehe even more broken ranger *duck* Sounds like it's complicated fix maybe :(

It took up to 2 more hits (arrows) in archery to do the same damage if you consider damroll only. Pretty tricky stuff. That being cited against wd salesmen that seemed to average around 220 hitpoints.
Inames
Sojourner

Postby Inames » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:35 am

ive suggested this as truth several times, even if archery was working seemingly properly, a hasted ranger dual wielding with half-decent skills is gonna do more damage than arching, only purpose for archery i see is on dragons which can fully block melee attacks with scales, other than that i see melee as the stronger style of combat, seeing as how you cant shoot arrows under water, missile shield on shamans/chanter types kill arrow usage, and your likely to lose arrows to mobs that can word like the priestly undead in CC.

cuz even without haste, an elven ranger with highest dex notch (not counting maxdex) is gonna get 2 hits a round often enough without dual wield/double attack, add on a decent dual wield and your gonna get 3 hits a round more than often, and add in double attack, i see 4 hits a round with high hit roll 30-35, maybe a 5th, and when you put haste on your almost garunteed 4-6 hits a round(i generally get 3-4 hits a round on my ranger/rogue without haste). versus the simple 3 hits a round with archery.. and omgawd add in extra attacks from something like bloodstone swords and archery just became the weakest skill in the game. what with fighting dragons with those swords half your attacks might get blocked and your still gonna hit 4-8 times, much more damage there than with archery.

btw concerning this i have a question about hit/dam roll... from what i hear people talking about some seem to think you get your hit/dam bonus on every attack every time, yet the simple definition of them is to add potential to your rolls isnt it? so you may have 75 damroll but that doesnt mean your gonna do 75 damage a hit plus your ddice roll, so perhaps the whole point thil was trying to make about archery being broken was just bad rolls compared to melee
[Dru 50] Inames (Grey Elf)
[Rog 50] Ishiras (Grey Elf)
[Enc 50] Aremat (Grey Elf)
[War 50] Amori (Grey Elf)
[Ran 50] Aninen (Grey Elf)
[Ele 50] Itanul (Grey Elf)
[Inv 50] Aleadis (Grey Elf)
[Bar 50] Ashire (Grey Elf)
[Cle 50] Isila (Grey Elf)
My Deviant Art Page

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”