Stun. What does it really do?

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Stun. What does it really do?

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:25 pm

So, other than interrupting spells, what does stun really do to mobs? it obviously doesn't preven't special innate abilities. It also doesn't seem to affect defensive skills. It does seem to affect damage for a short period of time.

For PC's it prettymuch prevents you from doing most everything. Just wondering if this was something overlooked, or if it is working as intended.

Here's an example:

< 637h/637H 156p/156P 125v/125V P: std > charge drow
Your mount charges a drow hunter and knocks him off balance!
A drow hunter is stunned!
A vicious nightmare charges into a drow hunter, glaring at him
with a fiery baleful gaze. a drow hunter screams as unholy
flames lick out to sear his body!

< 637h/637H 156p/156P 125v/125V T: Delmair TC: excellent E: drow EC: few scratches EP: std P: std >
A drow hunter points at you.
You are surrounded by dancing outline of purplish flames!

< 637h/637H 156p/156P 125v/125V T: Delmair TC: excellent E: drow EC: few scratches EP: std P: std >
A drow hunter's senses seem to clear again!
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Re: Stun. What does it really do?

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:53 am

Well, i've been investigating this, and it appears a stunned mob takes more damage. Upped a slash from "slightly wounds" to "severely wounds" on a mob that was phurt. Not sure what the actual damage increase is, but it seems substantial. Anyone have any other insight? Defensive skills seem unaffected, as they still dodge/parry/etc.
Malvareth
Sojourner

Re: Stun. What does it really do?

Postby Malvareth » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:15 am

Doing my annual forum skim and I remember asking this question myself once upon a time.

Stun itself does not deal damage. Charge does, as well as a number of other abilities with a stun component. Your damage probably came from charge and not from the fact that the mob became stunned.

As far as I could tell and have been told, stunning an NPC does nothing except interrupt their spellcasting if they were in the process of such at the time of the stun. It may also prevent them from starting a new spellcast for the duration of the stun (could never really test this) but it does not prevent the use of various abilities and coded actions, though it does seem to delay skills that are also accessible to players while not necessarily affecting unique mob skills. It has no discernible influence on defensive or offensive skills and basically does nothing at all if the mob cannot cast spells or switch targets (which it seems to prevent for the duration of the stun).

Getting stunned as a player appears to invoke the basic DIKU delay, just as bash and the usage of certain skills, the length depending on the duration of the stun effect. Commands that you input during this "lag" will not resolve until it expires.
My biggest claim to fame is spending the first twenty years of my life two kilometers from the university where DIKU was created. Should that make me sad or proud?

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”