4 round lag bug

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

4 round lag bug

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:35 pm

I'm going to bring this topic back up since we have a Coder now.

The 4 round lag bug occurs to different players, across different mud clients. So I want to think it's more than likely a mud issue. It seems to happen more than anything on tick. It causes a lag of around 4 rounds, usually when you stack commands, a trigger and a command go off...different situations. This has NOTHING TO DO with togging condensed on or off, gagging, etc. It has happened to many players, but not all (in theory). Sometimes you'll get bashed and stay down for 4 rounds. Sometimes you'll type flee and the command won't go through for 4 rounds. Etc. Etc. Needless to say, this causes death quite frequently.

I suggest checking out the "tick" code or whatever. I have no clue how that works/is coded. This never happened before, and then after a certain point it started occurring. I had posted already about this some time ago, around the time (a little after) it started happening.

Thanks.
Kral
Sojourner

Re: 4 round lag bug

Postby Kral » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:39 pm

Have had this happen many many times, would be great if the issue could be looked into!
Naled
Sojourner

Postby Naled » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:41 pm

This is a really old bug. It most often happens when i do rogue runs, eg e;circle dragon;escape w. Normally circle lags for 2 rounds, but the bug cause me once in a while to lag for 4-5 rounds, usually resulting in death.

I've noticed it happening basically after using any skill, including after casting a spell. It basically adds 4 rounds of lag after any skill. Not sure if stacking commands plays a real role, or if it just makes it noticeable.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:46 pm

Earlier posts by different people:

Still isn't fixed (Thilindel, et al. 2008)

4 round bug again (Raiwen, et al. 2009)

Tick bug (Gukov, et al. 2010)

Shaiith's post in the last thread seems to have some valuable information on what it could be and how to fix it. I value his opinion.
Segojan
Staff Member - Coder

Postby Segojan » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:48 am

Thanks for all the links. I will add this to the list of bug-fixes I am currently working on. Unfortunately bugs like this can be difficult to fix until I can find a way to replicate it reliably so any additional information anyone can provide is appreciated.

Segojan
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:43 pm

Yup. For intermittent issues all we can do is cry :(
Zukal
Sojourner

Postby Zukal » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:05 am

Besides the !aggro bug (Thanks for Fixing that one btw) I hate this one the most. It has resulted in countless deaths. Hope you can find the source and squash it!
Inames
Sojourner

Postby Inames » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:47 pm

best way to replicate it, go use one of the gambling machine, spam #99 gamble 1 c

i think some people have tried to explain it off as an anti command-overflow function, it makes sense, but doesnt seem practical with so few people playing or being active at once, cept during tia maybe.. and even then, it shouldnt really affect the mud compared to back when there were 200 people on at once... if it is an anti-overflow function, its probably utterly useless now and only serves to impair the players enjoyment of the game

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”