Crossbows versus Bows Question

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
torkur
Sojourner

Crossbows versus Bows Question

Postby torkur » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:53 am

I know the "theme" is crossbows shoot more slowly than regular bows, hence firing 2 bolts a round versus 3 arrows. I'm just curious if it's been revisited with all the reworking to maybe make them viable?

It just seems wierd that tia xbow is worse than the entry level bow because they don't get the added bonus of char damroll to a 3rd projectile.

If they're supposed to be used, I'm curious, would it be a fast code fix for these?

Ideas:
1) Make bolts shot from a xbow add 150% of the wearer's damroll (goes with the "theme" of hitting harder, but slower). This would still penalize if a bolt misfired more than 3/round with an arrow and dice would be lower topend, but in the ballpark (5d5 for 2 versus 3d6 for 3).
2) Just make Xbow shoot 3 bolts a round to even out. Will have to tweak the dice on a couple bolts from 5d5 to like 3d5/3d6 to match arrows.

Just thinking it shouldn't be such a night and day difference if you think a crossbow is cool to play with.
Kindi
Sojourner

Re: Crossbows versus Bows Question

Postby Kindi » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:05 am

heavy crossbow is 2 bolts, light crossbow is 3 bolts, hand crossbow is 4 bolts. nobody's really made any good light/hand crossbows
torkur
Sojourner

Postby torkur » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:38 am

Ok...so isn't that the whole point?
Malia
Sojourner

Postby Malia » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:39 am

I tested hand crossbow from Darkhold it only fires 3 shots.. not sure where anyone is getting 4 shots.

Anyone tested one that fired 4?
Dugmaren mutters in a surly voice 'Got any new strategy or going to continue with the "throw bodies at them til they get bored"? '

Dranth group-says 'i started drinkin when i found out galzar would be here'

Nerox says 'careful she goes from 0 to bitch in .00000001 seconds'

Mugo ASSOC:: 'ah got it on my gaytimer now :P'
Kindi
Sojourner

Postby Kindi » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:49 pm

i mis-heard. lilithelle says they fire 3 when used, but ID on test mud says 4. might be a bug they haven't caught since no "real" hand crossbows exist

i think SM was the first time they added any good bolts for less-than-heavy, and the only good light crossbow is gnomish bolt thrower, which is still pretty mediocre

i guess i'm trying to say this complaint can probably be solved by writing a zone with good crossbows/bolts
torkur
Sojourner

Postby torkur » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:01 am

It's not really a complaint, I'm quite able to get the FP bow like everyone else. Just makes sense to me to balance things and add options and flavor.

3 arrows from bow x 100% char damage per arrow = 2 heavy bolts x 150% char damage per bolt = 3 light bolts x 100% char damage per bolt

Unless it's coded some SUPER obscure way, that's adding a multiply by 1.5 coefficient in a proc in the code, takes 5 minutes to fix and compile.

Anyway, since noone seems to agree, nevermind.
Kindi
Sojourner

Postby Kindi » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:38 am

torkur wrote:Unless it's coded some SUPER obscure way, that's adding a multiply by 1.5 coefficient in a proc in the code, takes 5 minutes to fix and compile.

Anyway, since noone seems to agree, nevermind.

from what i've heard ranged combat code is completely messed up. i agree that crossbows should get more loving and i'd love to be able to use one and get comparable damage to bows. i seriously doubt we'll see any changes in it until/unless shev puts in a new combat layer like from 2.0. i also doubt area makers will care much about crossbows due to the investment most ppl already have in good arrows.
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:48 pm

Archery is also unbalanced toward greys because they get extra attacks with bows.

Mabye crossbows could be strength based to favor humans using crossbows.

Ofcourse, some kind of proc could do the same.

Also, besides getting the crossbow, then getting arrows are a lot easier than getting bolts.
Malia
Sojourner

Postby Malia » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:22 pm

I dont see greys getting any extra attacks with bows, my human gets 3 shots my dire gets 3 shots my grey elf gets 3 shots and my half elf gets 3 shots. Human has more survivabilty in zones vs area, my elf lives longer vs melee... shrug
Dugmaren mutters in a surly voice 'Got any new strategy or going to continue with the "throw bodies at them til they get bored"? '

Dranth group-says 'i started drinkin when i found out galzar would be here'

Nerox says 'careful she goes from 0 to bitch in .00000001 seconds'

Mugo ASSOC:: 'ah got it on my gaytimer now :P'
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:14 pm

Guess I was wrong with the elves and the number of ranged attacks.

But I still think crossbows somehow should be associated with human rangers.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:54 am

Read the area docs
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”