Quest skills

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Teralyn
Sojourner

Quest skills

Postby Teralyn » Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:45 am

So I was sitting around thinking last night, and I realized that none of the 'hitter' classes (Warrior/Ranger/Rogue/Paladin/Anti), have anything to quest for. ie.. Moonwell, Timestop, Relo, ect. I think it would be a good addition to the classes to try to incoporate some kind of quest skill.

I thought of this because of the fact that I have a rogue, and I remember back in the day Assassins and Thieves had the ability to throw darts. I don't know why that skill was removed originally, but that would be perfect for the Rogue's quest skill, possibly at 45th lvl. Nothing comes straight to mind for the other two classes...maybe some type of berserker skill for Warriors when fighting multiple mobs. And Rangers...I don't know, let them forage better =P (j/k) Pally's and Anti's I have no clue about, never played one before so I don't know what kind of skills they may be lacking.

Well, that's my two cents. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would love to see thowing darts again, at least I hope not.

Thanks for listening,

-Teralyn/Serraie
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:19 am

Rogues and hitters in general already have the eq dependancy issues to worry about. I don't mind quests for skills myself, but just improving on the skills you already have could be considered a neverending quest in itself. Especially in the hit and dam dept.

Dart throwing for rogues would probably add insult to injury in the case of rangers. Archery is probably the only semi-usefull unique thing they have. Well, besides getting to cast weak spells as a hitter.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:36 pm

Actually, rangers don't have any redeeming qualities other than the novelty of playing the toughest class on the mud.

T
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:48 pm

Tasan wrote:Actually, rangers don't have any redeeming qualities other than the novelty of playing the toughest class on the mud.

T

Toughest? Did 1w get an upgrade or something? :)
Meatshield
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:46 am

incase you missed it pali's and anti's get to quest a sword that is specific to them... its not a skill quest but its theirs... and i think rangers get one that is specific to them too... but im not sure.
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:10 pm

Vahok wrote:
Tasan wrote:Actually, rangers don't have any redeeming qualities other than the novelty of playing the toughest class on the mud.

T

When's the last time you leveled a ranger to 50, took the crap about it, played through adversity, and still got taken to zones? Exactly, you haven't.

The whole ranger thing is tired and old and anyone who starts shit about it loses any respect from me for any argument they ever make.

20,000 wasted posts later...

T
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:42 am

WOAH! hold up a sec. You're gonna pull out avenger and unholy avenger quests? PLEASE! There's mage specific eq that's questable. Don't say that because we can quest eq we shouldn't be able to quest skills personally i think questing skills is a great idea. I can't think of a specific skill off the top of my head but it's another way to make a hitter more than just someone. And if you think that it's "Specific" then what about regular eq that's specific? shouldn't that count? as an example: powerful recurve bow. it's human rager only? but it's eq it's not another skill to play with, enjoy, and try to make useful.

my 2 cents

Pril
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:24 am

ok ok... just sayin they get that stuff whereas b4 it seemed to me that the post was saying they get nothing... questable skills r a good idea but we do get extra's
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:20 pm

Tasan wrote:
Vahok wrote:

T

When's the last time you leveled a ranger to 50, took the crap about it, played through adversity, and still got taken to zones? Exactly, you haven't.

The whole ranger thing is tired and old and anyone who starts shit about it loses any respect from me for any argument they ever make.

20,000 wasted posts later...

T

Whoa! Slow down loose cannon. I was joking. Go have a Coke and smile on me.
Meatshield
Teralyn
Sojourner

Postby Teralyn » Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:00 am

OK, lets forget about any kind of eq. Basically, I thought it would be a good idea for hitters to be able to quest a cool skill for their class, just like every !hitter class can. Thought it might make things a little more interesting for the hitter classes. A new skill to play with. Maybe I'm just way off *shrug*
Stamm
Sojourner

Postby Stamm » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:01 pm

I've always felt that the equivalent of caster spell quests was melee weapon quests.

Especially avenger and unholy avenger.

Being honest Paladins and Anti-Paladins are defined by those weapons, the same as enchanters are defined by dragonscales.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:18 pm

Stamm wrote:Being honest Paladins and Anti-Paladins are defined by those weapons, the same as enchanters are defined by dragonscales.

d-scales does not define the chanter ... skill does

plenty of chanters have dscales and are skill-less :)
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Stamm
Sojourner

Postby Stamm » Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:28 pm

Skill defines the player :P
Dscales defines the class!
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:11 pm

Tasan wrote:
T

What would you say, percentage wise, of active playing rangers who RP?

Just curious why folks play the class if they are so bad. I'm being serious btw! ;)
Asup group-says 'who needs sex ed when you got sesexe.'
Targsk group-says 'sexedse'
mount dragon
You climb on and ride Tocx'enth'orix, the elder black dragon.
You have learned something new about mount!
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:35 pm

Vahok: I know you were joking, that was the point of my response. It is OLD.

Ses:

Because a lot of us have been playing said class for YEARS. We made the mistake of starting again here as rangers, and in the beginning, when mages were taking hours to memout for the first 30 levels, we did have a role.

Also early in the wipe not every mage was handed the quest items for every spell they needed once they got to their level, so inferno and other things weren't always available.

I guarantee if rogues were suddenly made into hide/sneak chars only, they would still be played as much as they are now. If you happen to like something, and you put your time and energy into it, you would hope to receive something constructive back.

You'll notice that the older players of the class gave up even trying to make suggestions since every thread EVEN WHEN WELL THOUGHT OUT(!whining) was filled with other people trying to get their jollies off beating a horse that was dead 4 months into the wipe. So much like veterans we sit around talking about the days when people got respect and how all the new fangled crap is unneccesary.

T

Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:42 pm

Ultimately it just seems like so much wasted time to argue much of anything for my favorite class on the bbs. Better to try to deal directly with the source, than place a well-thought out idea on the bbs and then watch as people pick it at, label it as whiny greedy rangers wanting more more more and not being happy with what they have.

And by the way, I STILL disapprove of the nature's blessing spell and feel it should have been effective against one type of offensive spell, chosen when you cast it. Not everything the good rangers suggest is a unilateral upgrade, yet we all get treated like the same people who post crap like how their tanking skills are on par with a warrior's.

P.S. Twyl - whine more. We have a reputation to maintain, may as well do our best to uphold it. :P
Pril
Sojourner

my 2 cents

Postby Pril » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:15 pm

here's the real problem as i see it. I think that rangers do need to get something to boost their need in groups etc. The only problem is what should they have. It would really be nice if random people on here shut up and we actually get some constructive ideas. I saw some on a different post from malie and that thread just died. It's not a question of weather rangers are underpowered, they are, but how can we balance it?

I gave this some thought and couldn't come up with anything off hand so let's stop all of the ranger aren't powerful why do they need to be powerful for 1w BS and start thinking of what can be done!

Pril -=Seeker of Tree-Hugger Glory=-
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:24 pm

Fine, all jokes aside..here's some real solutions.

1. Older rangers should honestly take some younger ones under their wing so to speak, and teach them how to actually play the class. The reason I originally joked guarding 1w was a ranger's job, because to be blunt, most should be there. If a ranger can't lure, doesn't keep group barked, dies on globes, talks trash to warriors...well you see where I am going with this. Personally, as a warrior, I love a ranger who can do the job right..less stress on me, less spank potential for group. It seems to me many older rangers are frustrated with the state of their class (and rightly so), so experience is lacking due to them not even playing them these days.

2. Triple attack for rangers? Going back to the main point of this thread, quest a skill for them. Maybe this is wrong, but shouldn't rangers do more damage then rogues in a single attack round (not including assassinate, circle, etc.) Big swords, smaller daggers?

3. Either make good arrows easier to get, or drop the missle shield that seems to be on every mob. If archery, in the eyes of the gods, is to be their bread and butter, make it useful and more user friendly.

Those just off the top of my head, I'm sure ranger players can figure out more.
Meatshield

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”