new concept on armor class

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Abbayarra
Sojourner

new concept on armor class

Postby Abbayarra » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:09 pm

Why is there only one armor class number?
I know this isn't exactly D&D but why can't we have two?

I know part of this concept is covered by the difference in HP.
One armor class should be based on agility and defensive skills alone. This would have to do with how often you get hit.

The second armor class comes from equipment. The higher this number the less damage you will take from a hit. This is fair even for the larger races who have higher hp as this is due to greater durability.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:30 pm

I thought the new system already takes armor class into account when making damage adjustments when you land a hit.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:49 pm

rylan wrote:I thought the new system already takes armor class into account when making damage adjustments when you land a hit.

It does. Either Abbayarra isn't aware of it (and I should note that A LOT of people still don't seem to know about it), or the idea is more focused on changing how agility bonus isn't really differentiated from stacking on armor.

In any case, I don't see any reason why they they need to be differentiated. Good armor doesn't just impede a blow, sometimes it can just stop it from having any effect depending on the attack (ie, a glancing blow to an unarmored target can just slide right off from someone in platemail). Likewise, someone who's fast and perceptive isn't going to stop dodging around when something does hit them, they're going to try to roll with it to reduce the damage done. D&D style combat was designed to be highly abstract since realistic systems tend to get really bogged down. People just often seem to make the mistake in equating simple combat mechanics to a limited range of what it represents.
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:52 pm

I think it should be somehow differentiated or somehow changed. I do not like how AC is calculated before defensive skills in the current system. The protection of the armor that you are wearing should not influence the frequency in which you parry/riposte/dodge/block blows.

It's not like we're walking around in giant bubbles of armor.
rer
Sojourner

Postby rer » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:13 pm

AC is calculated based on equipment and stats.

AC prevents damage - someone with -100AC is going to get hit for less damage than someone with 0 AC. Also, it affects the chances that the mob has to hit the Tank (hence MOB misses you with it's slash.)

Dodge/parry/riposte/etc. are all factored in assuming a "hit" and prevent attacks that bypass your armor. They are completely separate from AC. So, a level 10 character with -100 AC, but crap for skills, is still going to get hit more than an level 50 character with maxed skills, but natural ac of 60. These skills activate automatically when the mob would potentially hit you. A roll is made against each skill to determine if you pass - if you do, you dont get hit, or get hit for minimal damage.

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”