Throw us a bone!

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.

Would you like an update on the current works in progress for the game and prospective due dates?

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 29
Ashod
Sojourner

Throw us a bone!

Postby Ashod » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:17 am

Was hoping one of the admins had time to throw us mortals and update of what the current works are in progress and expected in dates.
Dugmaren
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Dugmaren » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:31 pm

Baaaahhahahahhahahaa, ya umm.. lets see here..

Tiamat should be done mid september.. 2006
And Menzoberranzan's like RIGHT behind it, maybe 2010 ish.. but then again the Olympics 'll be here again and I might be distracted, so better make that 2011.

On a serious note, I'll keep a dead line as soon as you start paying me. Until then I get to ignore work and extend due dates when I feel like playing, it's sunny out, friends call me up to go out, or I just generally feel like sitting around and doing nothing.

Dug
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:25 pm

OWNED
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:54 pm

Dugmaren wrote:Baaaahhahahahhahahaa, ya umm.. lets see here..

Tiamat should be done mid september.. 2006
And Menzoberranzan's like RIGHT behind it, maybe 2010 ish.. but then again the Olympics 'll be here again and I might be distracted, so better make that 2011.

On a serious note, I'll keep a dead line as soon as you start paying me. Until then I get to ignore work and extend due dates when I feel like playing, it's sunny out, friends call me up to go out, or I just generally feel like sitting around and doing nothing.

Dug

I can pay each staff member here $1,500.00 a week.

But you guys will have to decide who's going to be the race car, top hat, scottie dog, iron, cannon, baby shoe, thimble, battleship, horse and rider, and the wheelbarrow.
Asup group-says 'who needs sex ed when you got sesexe.'
Targsk group-says 'sexedse'
mount dragon
You climb on and ride Tocx'enth'orix, the elder black dragon.
You have learned something new about mount!
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:16 am

Lol. I'd end up being the iron. I just know it.

btw, I'm working on a lot of stuff that will probably never get done. Theres my update. :( seriously.
Shar - Forger Administrator, TorilMUD

Brandobaris : (51) [ would a forgotten realms zombie be interested in brains? ]

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Re: Throw us a bone!

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:21 am

Ashod wrote:Was hoping one of the admins had time to throw us mortals and update of what the current works are in progress and expected in dates.

I don't think this was at all an unreasonable request. It was met with both
sarcasm and disdain. I am rather disappointed. Thought the staff here
was more respectable. Especially you, Dug. At any rate, i would love to
have an honest answer to this question. It has been stated multiple times
that there were a lot of projects "almost done", especially at the time of
the "split". Haven't heard much of these in recent times...
Not asking them to get completed, just wanna know whats up.

Delmair Aamoren
Dignitas of the Spur Lords
Ashod
Sojourner

Postby Ashod » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:34 am

Although I am rather disappointed in the reply, I really can't get upset seeing as the staff does the work they do on a volunteer basis. I was hoping to hear something I could look forward to for game play. I understand due dates get postponed but I am sure I am not the only one when I say that I would atleast know what is being worked on...
It gives us something to get excited about not to mention keeps the players around IMO. Till I get a serious answer I think most of us will continue to throw ideas at the bbs and put our
misguided trust in the fact that it is possible these ideas might see the light of day. It is just really discouraging to get replies to questions asked by the player base. It is really annoying to post serious ideas and them turn into the ass end of a joke.

Can't say I didn't try.... for those of you that were thinking the same things I was.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:38 am

While I wouldn't expect deadlines and estimations of completion, it really would be nice to know if certain projects proposed were actually still being planned. Long time players understand that sometimes stuff just doesn't pan out the way it's planned, but having some idea if stuff is still being worked on or just been dumped for the time being would go a long way in facilitating better communication. This is really of much more relevance to the coding sphere than areas, and I admit that I'm biased after having to deride Miax's work over petition when he seemed to think ranged combat was finished while that missile shield bug remained and started badmouthing the ranger community for complaining about it over OOC. That was a situation that could have been avoided had there been better understanding of how players and gods viewed the status of a system.
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'You are no match for elemental pants!'
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:23 am

Delmair Aamoren wrote:
Ashod wrote:Was hoping one of the admins had time to throw us mortals and update of what the current works are in progress and expected in dates.

I don't think this was at all an unreasonable request. It was met with both
sarcasm and disdain. I am rather disappointed. Thought the staff here
was more respectable. Especially you, Dug. At any rate, i would love to
have an honest answer to this question. It has been stated multiple times
that there were a lot of projects "almost done", especially at the time of
the "split". Haven't heard much of these in recent times...
Not asking them to get completed, just wanna know whats up.

Delmair Aamoren
Dignitas of the Spur Lords

I think this was an entirely unreasonable request. It was perhaps met with a touch of bitterness because of the colossal scale of the tasks that imms struggle with.

On the other hand, as I've said before, this mud has no Ombudsman, so it's not like there is one particular person responsible for answering player queries.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Ashod
Sojourner

Postby Ashod » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:35 am

I think this was an entirely unreasonable request. It was perhaps met with a touch of bitterness because of the colossal scale of the tasks that imms struggle with.

On the other hand, as I've said before, this mud has no Ombudsman, so it's not like there is one particular person responsible for answering player queries.

It was a simple request... if it was unreasonable a simple no would have suficed thank you.
Ihazim
Sojourner

Postby Ihazim » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:20 pm

You guys should enjoy the game for what it is 8). Relying on an update for fun = dissapointment. If that's the case anyways.
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:47 pm

Sometimes I feel like what I imagine a staff member of this mud feels like.

- I have a group of people counting on me.
- I am in a position of some authority.
- I work almost 5-7 days a week at my RL job for extended hours. I really add up the overtime.
- I have numerous projects in my lap that I'm in the process of working on that are MUD related, but I only have two hands and there are more projects then what I can hold.
- I play the MUD as much as I work on it, and derive inspiration for the projects I'm working on from my playing.

Before I know it. I look back and something I was working intently on a few months/weeks/days ago, I've almost forgotten about without realizing it was almost done. Then I have to re-dig into it all and figure out what I was doing and where I was, only to work on it for a few days and then jump to something else that's become a priority to me. And so the process repeats itself. Over. And over. And over again.

Then I look and see it has been almost a year now since I last completed something.

Then I realize.. maybe I should have made myself some form of schedule or timeline to keep myself on track? Perhaps by giving a kind of date to others (or timeline of some sort), I'd keep myself focused on those projects so they would be completed, as I would want to keep my word?

Perhaps the more people I gave my word to, the more dedicated I would become to completing such a task?

I don't see a timeline or idea of such things as an unreasonable request. It's a way to help keep people busy and focused. Or else people just loaf around and don't really care about when things get done.

I've found repeatedly in RL that when keeping people in the loop, boss, client, coworkers, etc., it keeps everyone a lot more friendlly and understanding.

Nothing wrong with being in the loop.

But blind in the dark... No thanks.

mount dragon

Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:56 pm

Ok I'll post an update that is both true and unsarcastic.

We have so many projects in the works, melee balancing, tiamat, newbiezone code, new procs, class balance, kingdom code, and probably 20 more *major* projects.

We also have countless small projects that get done (both visibile and invisible to players) that take up time. We squish bugs. We research our projects, play the game to do so, gather information from the bbs as well as other players, and we deal with each player who needs us.

What I can tell you is, major changes *will* be coming "soon". We have had some difficulties due to circumstances beyond our control dealing with ability to complete several large projects. You all have a right to know these things and should be kept in the loop.

I'm sorry for treating your serious question with a light hearted response. I sometimes forget the frustration players have when it comes to knowing what goes on topside. Thank you for reminding me.

If anyone has more specific questions on these topics, I'm afraid nobody will have answers. There is no "when" for upcoming huge things. The only answer any of the forgers could give would be "soon". Timelines have to change due to RL.

I really do hope that helped in even the least. I'm sorry for the lack of a timeline. I'm sorry that there is no specific date I can give you which would be accurate for upcoming big changes. I *really* do wish there were something more solid.

If you want to direct your frustration at the lack of information flowing from the Gods somewhere, I will take responsibility. When I was raised to level 60, it became partially my responsibility to keep the players informed with what I could. I haven't done the best job at that, and for that, I apologize.

I will try to rectify some of that right now.

-Tiamat 90% complete *on hold*
-Newbie code 50% complete *on hold*
-Melee balancing 30% complete *on hold*
-Class balance 20% complete *on hold*
-Kingdom code .... *on hold*
-New procs .... *on hold*

All of the above projects will consume huge amounts of time to code. Most of them are still in thier conceptuallizing stage (minus tiamat and newbie code) which means research, research, research.

Those are rough ideas. Nothing solid on those percentages.

The only thing I can tell you that won't change TODAY is the on hold status of these big projects. They will be done "soon" meaning, they will be picked up where they were left off and completed as soon as we can possibly manage.

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:15 pm

Well I for one, truly appreciate being kept in the loop. :D

Thanks Shar!

mount dragon

sifu_augustin
Sojourner

Postby sifu_augustin » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:20 pm

When is the sifu class being instated in regards to that timeline?
Sifu Augustin
Sojourner

Postby Sifu Augustin » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:49 pm

sifu_augustin wrote:When is the sifu class being instated in regards to that timeline?

Stop impersonating me!
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:02 pm

Shar wrote:Ok I'll post an update that is both true and unsarcastic.

Thanks for the update Shar. I can say from experience that knowing that things are still planned, even if they have hit major snags, is a much better feeling than finding out that something was outright dropped without indication. Knowing that the staff still has an idea of where it wants to go despite difficulties is always good to know.
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'You are no match for elemental pants!'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:20 pm

Ok some things are partially done, other things are planned but haven't been started, and everything is "on hold". Thats not really saying very much. The best we get is that things have not been completed because of "circumstances beyond our control." So what are those circumstances? Is it anything that the players can help with? Do you need more coders? Whats the problem?

Corth
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Auril
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Auril » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:34 am

Finale Tools - 1/3 done
Finale Mobs - 2/3 done

We're doing a lot of sessions as well. We're working at this nearly every day, and I don't have an ETA yet. When we're in the final stretch, we'll post something to work out a best time/date.
Ashod
Sojourner

Postby Ashod » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:21 am

I am on the same wave length as Corth...

You guys work here for nothing and we appreciate it..
I am sure that there are plenty of people out here that could help and would be willing to help with items if needed. Reseach might be something that people could help with. Maybe putting a group of the consistant players that have extremely good game knowledge to help with issues you have on the test site if there is one.. Their is no reason that you couldn't put in a pool for people to sign up and then draw for a specific number of individuals that can report on there findings.

Thanks very much for the update.
Areandon
Sojourner

Postby Areandon » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:57 pm

Would having more coders help? If you need specified stuff coded, I could lend a hand to get stuff done faster. I'd be happy to help.
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:49 pm

Yep! We always need coders but only a specific kind of coder could fill the spots we need. Unfortunately, very few coders that are of the type we need ever have the desire to mud. If you feel like you could take *explicit* direction, tackle projects that will win you nothing in terms of in-game reward, if you are able to commit (meaning complete within a reasonable time period) to the projects you are assigned, work *well* with seniors and have a good ability to comment out your code and make the interface (for those non-coders) of your code user friendly, why... you might just be the right kind of coder! Contact Shevarash in-game for more details.

Part of the reason things are on hold is, as you know, because of RL details. Details that I am not at liberty to divulge. If I thought it would be OK to let 200+ strangers know what was going on IRL with member(s) of the Sr. Staff, I would. Rest assured, things will be back on track "soon". There is a time and place for everything. It would be waaaay outside my boundaries to release any information about other peoples personal lives. Some things are OK to say. Other things are not. I'll leave it at that :wink:

Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:06 am

Ashod, your best bet is to be patient. Find another hobby. WoW is my anti-MUD
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”