camo + mem

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
oteb
Sojourner

camo + mem

Postby oteb » Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:26 pm

Can memorize be added to list of commands that dont break hide?
It wont let illus mem while hidden since we have to sit before mem but will at least let us check what spells we have currently memed which can be life saving.
Thank you
jalahon
Sojourner

Postby jalahon » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:07 pm

way too twinky... camo is very useful the way it is
oteb
Sojourner

Postby oteb » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:52 pm

how can checking what spells you have memed be twinky?
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:15 pm

oteb wrote:how can checking what spells you have memed be twinky?

He's got a point.

Knowing what spells you still have left to cast is a mental check, not something you wrote down or would break a skill to remember. It's just like remembering what you purchased at the store earlier.
Asup group-says 'who needs sex ed when you got sesexe.'
Targsk group-says 'sexedse'
mount dragon
You climb on and ride Tocx'enth'orix, the elder black dragon.
You have learned something new about mount!
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:41 pm

jalahon wrote:way too twinky... camo is very useful the way it is

Oteb's intention is to see what spells he has left in memory, NOT mem while camo.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Mielikki
Staff Member - Coder

Postby Mielikki » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:45 pm

Sorry but i think the spell/hide combo works perfectly they way they are.

Taking Sesexe's point and twisting it a bit.
"Knowing what spells you still have left to cast is a mental check, not something you wrote down or would break a skill to remember. It's just like remembering what you purchased at the store earlier."
So you as the player should make a mental check to see if you remember your spells...:) It really has nothing to do with my argument, but I thought it amusing.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:54 pm

Couldn't you type "mem" first and then type "c 'camo'"? Or make a nice little alias so that everytime you camo, you automatically type mem first so you have the list of spells on scrollback? Don't forget the carriage return after "mem" since your spell list is too long for one page. It works wonderfully. :)
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:37 pm

Mielikki wrote:So you as the player should make a mental check to see if you remember your spells...:) It really has nothing to do with my argument, but I thought it amusing.

Well with some caster classes this is easy. But with others it's not. I don't have an illusionists currently, so I don't know how diverse a mem template one normally runs around with.

Realistically, I think all this came up because Oteb is a true caster player. What I mean is he's probably sub-conciously typing 'mem' every 1-2 mins and loosing his camo. It's a hard habbit to break to be honest. I'm always typing 'mem' even when playing a warrior, or a rogue, or a cleric.
*grumble*

Got no idea what sub-concious things true melee players do. Spam who commands? *shrug*
Asup group-says 'who needs sex ed when you got sesexe.'

Targsk group-says 'sexedse'

mount dragon

You climb on and ride Tocx'enth'orix, the elder black dragon.

You have learned something new about mount!
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:39 pm

Sesexe wrote:Got no idea what sub-concious things true melee players do. Spam who commands? *shrug*

We check eq and inv.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:16 pm

And, after thought, I honestly think it would be a good idea to have a command which would allow the caster to check available spells without breaking camo. It's not like it's a game breaking feature, and I'm sure many casters would find it right useful. I don't mind that inventory breaks hide, but I have unlimited hide, whereas casters do not have unlimited camo.

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:23 pm

Yes, meming while camo is way too twinky. Please allow sneak + camo instead! :)
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:43 pm

i dont see how typing mem would brake camo, as was said..... its a mental check to see what you have memorized....

P.S. rangers as a melee class (at least myself) are constantly checking eq inv quiver bags and spells... i run the whole check every 1-3 minutes.
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:55 am

Ashiwi wrote:
Sesexe wrote:Got no idea what sub-concious things true melee players do. Spam who commands? *shrug*

We check eq and inv.

Hahah, I thought I was the only one...
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:49 pm

Kifle wrote:
Ashiwi wrote:

We check eq and inv.

Hahah, I thought I was the only one...

I check eq, inv and I type 'sing' a lot when I'm playing my elementalist.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:23 pm

Oh, and don't forget checking 'sco' obsessively to see if your potions have worn off yet.

Memming while camo is too much, but it would be so very reasonable to create a command which allows players to check what they have in the memmed queue.

And I totally agree with Corth.

Lenefir
Sojourner

Postby Lenefir » Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:36 pm

Corth wrote:Yes, meming while camo is way too twinky. Please allow sneak + camo instead! :)

If I understood Oteb correctly he didn't want to actually do the memming, he wanted to just see which spells he had used and which spells he hadn't used by typing "mem". As he said, doing the actual memming would require him to rest, and thus breaking hide. (Prioritize also breakes hide (I think) if you're afraid of that part.)
"Being God isn't easy. If you do too much, people get dependent on you; and if you do nothing, they lose hope. You have to use a light touch [...]. When you do things right, people won't be sure you have done anything at all"
--Futurama
fotex
Sojourner

Postby fotex » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:12 pm

Yeah, it seems like there should be a separate command for actually performing the mem, and another command for listing spells that are memorized. For one, and this has always bothered me, it would cut down on the spam (on the network connection) if you didn't have to see entire your memorized spell list every time you sit to mem.
oteb
Sojourner

Postby oteb » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:10 pm

sesexe wrote:Realistically, I think all this came up because Oteb is a true caster player. What I mean is he's probably sub-conciously typing 'mem' every 1-2 mins and loosing his camo. It's a hard habbit to break to be honest. I'm always typing 'mem' even when playing a warrior, or a rogue, or a cleric.
*grumble*

Actually no. I was in very aggro area getting ping ponged by mobs i had a slight opportunity of surviving if i had that one spell i needed memed. But since this struggling for life lasted quite a long i had no idea whatsoever if i had that spell memed or not.
Artmar
Sojourner

Postby Artmar » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:14 pm

Hmm...

SLIST
Syntax: slist
slist <spellname>

"Slist" lets you check what spells currently reside in your active repertoire.

Using this command with an argument tells you how many instances of that specific spell you have currently memorized/prayed

would be nice to have
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:27 pm

oteb wrote:
sesexe wrote:Realistically, I think all this came up because Oteb is a true caster player. What I mean is he's probably sub-conciously typing 'mem' every 1-2 mins and loosing his camo. It's a hard habbit to break to be honest. I'm always typing 'mem' even when playing a warrior, or a rogue, or a cleric.
*grumble*

Actually no. I was in very aggro area getting ping ponged by mobs i had a slight opportunity of surviving if i had that one spell i needed memed. But since this struggling for life lasted quite a long i had no idea whatsoever if i had that spell memed or not.

Next time, if it's a life or death situation like that try to cast it, that'll tell ya if it was mem'd or not. :roll: If it's not, you'll die, if it is, you'll live. Being able to know if it was mem'd or not wouldn't have helped once engaged by the mobs unless there's more to your story that you didn't supply details on.
shalath
Sojourner

Postby shalath » Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:33 pm

Birile wrote:
oteb wrote:
*grumble*

Next time, if it's a life or death situation like that try to cast it, that'll tell ya if it was mem'd or not. :roll: If it's not, you'll die, if it is, you'll live. Being able to know if it was mem'd or not wouldn't have helped once engaged by the mobs unless there's more to your story that you didn't supply details on.

Hmm...actually, say if it was the 'massmorph' spell, or 'change shape' for instance, or maybe 'mislead', then knowing whether or not it was memmed would formulate a potential tactic for getting out alive from the mass of mobs that you've aggrod. Knowing if spells are memmed is useful.

Of course, I just keep track of memmed spells in a set of triggers that let me know at any given moment how many I have left. Not that hard to write (especially as my client has an inbuilt perl interpreter ;-)

-akeb
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:50 pm

shalath wrote:
Birile wrote:
oteb wrote:
*grumble*

Hmm...actually, say if it was the 'massmorph' spell, or 'change shape' for instance, or maybe 'mislead', then knowing whether or not it was memmed would formulate a potential tactic for getting out alive from the mass of mobs that you've aggrod. Knowing if spells are memmed is useful.

Of course, I just keep track of memmed spells in a set of triggers that let me know at any given moment how many I have left. Not that hard to write (especially as my client has an inbuilt perl interpreter ;-)

-akeb

If he was truly bouncing from mob to mob, he wouldn't be able to get any of those spells off, which is why I qualified myself by saying "unless there was more to the story" that Oteb didn't mention. There's a difference between ping ponging from one mob to the next and having a chance to flee into a room with no mobs in it in order to cast those spells you listed.
oteb
Sojourner

Postby oteb » Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:12 pm

Birile wrote:
shalath wrote:
Birile wrote:
oteb wrote:
*grumble*

-akeb

If he was truly bouncing from mob to mob, he wouldn't be able to get any of those spells off, which is why I qualified myself by saying "unless there was more to the story" that Oteb didn't mention. There's a difference between ping ponging from one mob to the next and having a chance to flee into a room with no mobs in it in order to cast those spells you listed.

Well since idea i posted mentioned camo you can guess i was hidden so had time to actually form some tactic. If i was just bouncing from mob to mob i could just as easily type mem to check.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:23 pm

oteb wrote:Well since idea i posted mentioned camo you can guess i was hidden so had time to actually form some tactic. If i was just bouncing from mob to mob i could just as easily type mem to check.

That's why I was confused. You're the one who said you were pingponging, not me.

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”