graduated invis/detect invis

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Demuladon
Sojourner

graduated invis/detect invis

Postby Demuladon » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:55 am

With detect invis spell up, make detection of invis a percentage chance based on spellcast divination.

If a player had detect invis spell up and 70% spellcast divination you could detect invis 70% of the time. Visibility check would be made each heartbeat for detection.

If a mob had detect invis spell up and 70% spellcast divination it would detect a player 70% of the time. Visibility check would be made each heartbeat for detection.

This would somewhat randomize effect of having detect invis.

ps. ignoring non-casters for the moment.

EDIT:
To take this idea a few steps further:

In addition to the invis randimization as described above, make the spellcast illusion % of the "invis caster" compete with the spellcast divination % of the "detect invis caster".

Net effect would be that invis/detect invis would become more graduated, and would vary depending on which class casts it (similar to stoneskin), and the skill of the individual caster in the spell classes illusion and divination.

EDIT:
eg from best to worst effects for both invis and detect invis spells:
lillusionist/enchanter/lich/ele/voker/necro/bard/shaman/ranger/potions/equipment
Last edited by Demuladon on Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Demuladon
Sojourner

Postby Demuladon » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:48 pm

Some fun with graduated invis/detect invis:

(i) Leader gsays 'tank west bash mage'
Tank prowls west.
Tank gsays 'what freaken mage?'
Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of Tank.

(ii) Leader gsays 'voker runs on dragon west'
Tank leaves west.
Tank gsays 'on a guard'
Voker leaves west.
Voker gsays 'what freaken dragon?
Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of Voker.

(iii) Leader gsays 'Rogue unhide for fold'
Rogue gsays 'it looks clear I'm unhiding'
Rogue gsays 'ack where did that come from'
Rogue has left the group.
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:34 pm

On the bright side..

Items given DI that are 100% DI would become desireable and valuable, which in turns gives area folks another little nugget to play with... I guess
Asup group-says 'who needs sex ed when you got sesexe.'
Targsk group-says 'sexedse'
mount dragon
You climb on and ride Tocx'enth'orix, the elder black dragon.
You have learned something new about mount!
kragt
Sojourner

Postby kragt » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:04 pm

Leader group-says 'Mass invis and di everyone'
Leader moves west.
Leader group-says 'Who we missing?'
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:26 pm

kragt wrote:Leader group-says 'Mass invis and di everyone'
Leader moves west.
Leader group-says 'Who we missing?'

Yeah. Assuming we suspect the fact that noncasters have, um, no spellcast divination ability, this would just become a huge annoyance and time hindrance in the game more than a cool randomization--which wouldn't be such a horrible thing if the annoyance/hindrance effects weren't so mutterable.

*shrug* :(
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:36 pm

Sesexe wrote:On the bright side..

Items given DI that are 100% DI would become desireable and valuable, which in turns gives area folks another little nugget to play with... I guess

oooo. Shinies.
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:25 am

hey... just go get sense life items/potions and priests get the spells!
Crumar
Sojourner

Postby Crumar » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:42 am

amolol wrote:hey... just go get sense life items/potions and priests get the spells!

Unless priests worshiped a god that would grant them the ability to detect all things I can't see that happening. Since we don't have spells based on the god you worship on here I doubt this idea will work. I can see them using potions just not getting the spell itself.
Click on the links below and vote for this mud!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topm ... gi?id=shev
The Mud Connector: http://www.mudconnect.com/cgi-bin/vote_ ... ner's+Home
MudMagic (aka Kyndig): http://www.mudmagic.com/listings/game/609
Lahgen
Sojourner

Postby Lahgen » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:19 am

perhaps True Sight could allow for infallible detection.
Kesena OOC: 'i wish my daddy bought me power tools'
Dorgh group-says 'damn, even with Cofen helping Mori, they STILL can't kill someone
Hekanut says 'I know level doesn't matter much, but most won't take seriously if a level 2 claims to be the best thing before, during, and after sliced bread.'

Rather than seeing "subpar race/class," see "challenge."
Sszantiel
Sojourner

Postby Sszantiel » Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:48 am

Kinda interesting idea.

Perhaps make being grouped negate the problem kragt addressed earlier. So if you are grouped you can see anyone invis no matter what your %chance is.

ON a side note: Do any other illusionists find true sight to be kinda worthless? The only time I cast it is when group member X tells you 'di/dm plz'

the duration needs to be made the same as di and dm spells then i will cast it, until then I have better uses for my 5th circle. Oh and give it sense life!
Vena
Sojourner

Postby Vena » Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:06 pm

I like the idea

although your potentially adding a lot of pain to some CRs and I don't think anyone would like that. Its bad enough that 14 people sit around waiting 10-20 minutes to CR and you sit around for another 10 minutes waiting for people to come back from afk.
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:38 am

My biggest concern is how this will affect anyone under level 41. Detect invis is supposed to be a very basic spell. You get it at level 1. It would also be rather annoying or confusing to cast detect invis and still not be able to see an invisible player, especially at lower levels. I would like the idea much better if it were applied as an improved invis spell that could be used in zones.

Sesexe wrote:Items given DI that are 100% DI would become desireable and valuable, which in turns gives area folks another little nugget to play with... I guess

It is already very desirable. The problem is that a DI item loads in avernus. This means that there can be no other DI item in the game, and if anyone were to make an area with another DI item, watch out.

Sszantiel wrote:ON a side note: Do any other illusionists find true sight to be kinda worthless? The only time I cast it is when group member X tells you 'di/dm plz'

Myran casts it exclusively as far as I can tell. As a recipient I just wish the duration was a bit longer.

- Mike
Demuladon
Sojourner

Postby Demuladon » Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:57 am

The main idea I was thinking of was using invis/detect invis as a form of "fog of war" in terms of mobs versus players. Would be another way of mixing zones up and increasing difficultly without adding another 100damroll and an extra 10khp to a mob.

I believe the "fog of war" would make rogue/fold twinking more dangerous (an effective rogue downgrade though no player skills would need to be changed?) as long as invis mobs were patrolling

Mob counting would become difficult since vision is compromised.. ie sending in rogue to pick out 3.lizard as the cleric and 5.as the mage might take a while.

Good points about players seeing other players - I would suggest that players be able to see each other as is the case in the game right now.

In terms of CR.. would make it more difficult and dangerous though not impossible since hide/sneak would still work as is.

In terms of DI gear.. might find a few more lowish-effectiveness DI items appear in the game, keep the avernus ***** as full DI.

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”