Inspiring and Interesting Ideas for Areas Writers & Code

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Sesexe
Sojourner

Inspiring and Interesting Ideas for Areas Writers & Code

Postby Sesexe » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:19 pm

Ever have some neat idea you thought would be cool to see in a zone, but don't think you're ever going to write a zone yourself, or don't know anyone working on one? We're not talking exact stats or even stat suggestions, just.. ideas for different things. Think of this thread as a pleasant sounding board that current, or hopeful, area writers/coders might look into and consider.

Here's a few ideas I had.

Weapons & Objects
Sentient Weapons - Weapons that talk to you, telepathically. Weapons that talk to everyone in the room. This could be as easy as taking weapons that proc randomly (ex. holy avenger) and have the proc removed, and text changed to be a communication. Having a list of different things the weapon would say instead. Perhaps even events that are triggered on the weapons current charge status (I'll get to this), or the players current hp status.

Special Purpose Weapons - Weapons that proc specific procs against specific types of creatures. A la Frostbrand.

Charge Status - Weapons that need to be 'fed' in order for their procs/abilities to work. Proc ratio and strength could be determined by how 'full' (how charged up) the weapon currently is.

Imagine a sword, or dagger, that thirsts for blood. When it's out of charges, it won't shutup, perhaps even has the chance of making you randomly attack something in the room by doing a proc on a random mobile. But the more charged up the weapon is, the more powerful its' procs are, and how less it talks. (For this particular type. For all accurances, there could be weapons that are the reverse. Like a holy avenger that is silent when unused, but in the midst of battle it sings out. Either way would be a way for players to approximate the level of charge the weapon currently has.)

Mob Concepts
Skill Responsive A.I. - Mobs who via quest code respond to certain situations in battle. (ex. casters dispel magic on eachother to remove silences).

Bribe Responsive Mobs - Mobs who via quest code can be 'bribed' to stop attacking and leave the room/wander/etc by being paid sufficient amounts of money or items.

Vampirism Proc - Vampire mobs that kill a player, cause the player (or maybe his corpse) to rise as an NPC vampire assisting the vampire.

Situation Communication - Mobs who will talk smack when winning (hitting harder then getting hit back), bark orders to their fellows in the midst of combat (A frost giant guard says, 'Thier mage is casting a dread fire spell against us lads, stop them! (mobs switch targets to appropriate player or attempt to bash him/her), and say different things depending on their current health percentage:
ex.
few scratches
Loki says, 'Your puny weapons are no match for my awesome powers. Begone while you still live or I shall crush you beneath my boot!'
nasty wounds
Loki says, 'Your pathetic attempts to take my life are in vain mortals!"
pretty hurt
Loki says, 'You shall die with me, Worms!'
Eilorn
Sojourner

Postby Eilorn » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:17 am

Player Controllable Mobs
At times, to random mobs being fought by PCs, invites will be issued to a random ungrouped PC to control that mob. On accepting the invite, your PC will go AFK, and all input/output will be to/from the mob. Any followers will be controllable by normal commands.

Control of PC reverts on mob death, or spank of attackers.

AND it'd be nice if the PC got exp for kills :-P

Eilorn.
Now, we can do this the hard way, or... well, actually there's just the hard way.
-- Buffy, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:32 am

The most important one we need, I think is...

Player Concept
Ungrateful People Cease Whining

Wherein people provide constructive criticism and suggestions to problems with new code/zones instead of flaming/harassing the staff about them until they get fed up and quit/retire. This new concept would keep newbies playing, older players active, and might actually keep coders and area gods active, as well as entice new ones to join the staff.

Deathmagnet
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:08 am

Haha, there are only a few turd burglars out there that just complain and are jerks when they post. Funny thing is that they say 'take it or leave it'. I really like the feedback ideas for mobs talking. They already 'recognize' bard songs, etc. Would be neat to have a really nice weapon but with it requiring blood, if you don't kill with it enough, it starts harming YOU (ie. valk sword) burning, etc, and when you do start killing with it again, it returns the health it leeched from you.
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:30 pm

Class Specific Familiar Quests
Quest for a pet that you can rent and is appropriate to your class (perhaps even race, and maybe even alignment). Strength and size of pet also depends on how hard/costly the quest is. Don't get stuck on the word familiar, this could be open to all classes.
Asup group-says 'who needs sex ed when you got sesexe.'
Targsk group-says 'sexedse'
mount dragon
You climb on and ride Tocx'enth'orix, the elder black dragon.
You have learned something new about mount!
Sonon
Sojourner

Postby Sonon » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:33 pm

i like this idea
-------------------------------------------------------
Alysia group-says 'Lilen immolates a terrified squirrel to a charred crisp with his devastating inferno!'
-------------------------------------------------------
Lilen group-says 'where are all da trolls i was promised'
Lilen has left the group.
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:43 am

Eilorn wrote:Player Controllable Mobs
At times, to random mobs being fought by PCs, invites will be issued to a random ungrouped PC to control that mob. On accepting the invite, your PC will go AFK, and all input/output will be to/from the mob. Any followers will be controllable by normal commands.

Control of PC reverts on mob death, or spank of attackers.

AND it'd be nice if the PC got exp for kills :-P

Eilorn.

I always liked the Golem in the Planar Sphere in BG2 that you could control by getting a control stone.

As for familiars, I again liked how BG2 allowed you to summon a familar based on your class/alignment, but with consequences for not caring for it, i.e. if it dies you lost a point of constitution permanently, and the ability to have it hop into your backpack for safe keeping.
Tasan
Sojourner

Re: Inspiring and Interesting Ideas for Areas Writers &

Postby Tasan » Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:35 am

Sesexe wrote:Ever have some neat idea you thought would be cool to see in a zone, but don't think you're ever going to write a zone yourself, or don't know anyone working on one? We're not talking exact stats or even stat suggestions, just.. ideas for different things. Think of this thread as a pleasant sounding board that current, or hopeful, area writers/coders might look into and consider.

Here's a few ideas I had.

Weapons & Objects
Sentient Weapons - Weapons that talk to you, telepathically. Weapons that talk to everyone in the room. This could be as easy as taking weapons that proc randomly (ex. holy avenger) and have the proc removed, and text changed to be a communication. Having a list of different things the weapon would say instead. Perhaps even events that are triggered on the weapons current charge status (I'll get to this), or the players current hp status.

Special Purpose Weapons - Weapons that proc specific procs against specific types of creatures. A la Frostbrand.

Charge Status - Weapons that need to be 'fed' in order for their procs/abilities to work. Proc ratio and strength could be determined by how 'full' (how charged up) the weapon currently is.

Imagine a sword, or dagger, that thirsts for blood. When it's out of charges, it won't shutup, perhaps even has the chance of making you randomly attack something in the room by doing a proc on a random mobile. But the more charged up the weapon is, the more powerful its' procs are, and how less it talks. (For this particular type. For all accurances, there could be weapons that are the reverse. Like a holy avenger that is silent when unused, but in the midst of battle it sings out. Either way would be a way for players to approximate the level of charge the weapon currently has.)

Mob Concepts
Skill Responsive A.I. - Mobs who via quest code respond to certain situations in battle. (ex. casters dispel magic on eachother to remove silences).

Bribe Responsive Mobs - Mobs who via quest code can be 'bribed' to stop attacking and leave the room/wander/etc by being paid sufficient amounts of money or items.

Vampirism Proc - Vampire mobs that kill a player, cause the player (or maybe his corpse) to rise as an NPC vampire assisting the vampire.

Situation Communication - Mobs who will talk smack when winning (hitting harder then getting hit back), bark orders to their fellows in the midst of combat (A frost giant guard says, 'Thier mage is casting a dread fire spell against us lads, stop them! (mobs switch targets to appropriate player or attempt to bash him/her), and say different things depending on their current health percentage:
ex.
few scratches
Loki says, 'Your puny weapons are no match for my awesome powers. Begone while you still live or I shall crush you beneath my boot!'
nasty wounds
Loki says, 'Your pathetic attempts to take my life are in vain mortals!"
pretty hurt
Loki says, 'You shall die with me, Worms!'

A lot of this occurs to a writer when they are writing, however...

Much of the suggestions you have listed have problems in execution. Skill responsive mobs do exist, however they are notoriously easy to hack. One good example that is fixed now was a naga near hyssk that would stop casting a spell, then cast a specific spell when you used a command in it's room. If you repeatedly used the command it repeatedly stopped casting and started again. These problems exist with a lot of the coding you can do w/ the existing mobprog code.

I like the suggestions, they would make everything more immersive and whatnot, but they also take more time. Making a zone isn't something you can just do. You really do spend a lot of time on mundane details besides flavor, and all before you even get to testing. Some of the things listed above require special code be written for an object, and I know that when I was writing, I didn't want to have to wait for someone to code something for me specifically(it also seemed like a lot to ask). I hope everyone tries to make a zone, it's a rewarding experience if you follow through with it, regardless of the negative feedback which almost always is louder than the praise.

Cheers!

!!x
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:48 pm

Yasden wrote:The most important one we need, I think is...

Player Concept
Ungrateful People Cease Whining

Wherein people provide constructive criticism and suggestions to problems with new code/zones instead of flaming/harassing the staff about them until they get fed up and quit/retire. This new concept would keep newbies playing, older players active, and might actually keep coders and area gods active, as well as entice new ones to join the staff.

Deathmagnet

lol, stop trying to hijack a thread and make a new one. i'll have oodles of fun with you mr. deathmagnet
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:44 am

Quest Zones - Zones that are finished by completing quests and bringing about certain events, rather then simply killing the mobs with equipment or that guard them.

Example.
A terrible killer stalked the town of blahblahblah, but the officials were never able to catch him, despite some of them being powerful clerics and mages. Eventually they all died, some of natural causes, and some from the assasin's hand (or his minions). Now years later, the assassin still lives, but as a cursed undead ghost, that continues to pray on the poor people of blahblahblah. A curse so powerful, that magical weapons glance off the ghost, magic has no effect, and only by discovering the secret to it's origins, can it ever be dispelled. A call was set out, and a group of powerful adventurers armed with mighty magics answered, but they were ultimately defeated by the ghost assassin, unable to divine the secret to finally putting it to rest. Now they are undead spirits under his control, with their hoard of magical items and corpses rotting in the assassin's lair.

Low Down:
-bring the old officals back to life (sub quests here)
-bring them all to the same place (they might be hostile when awakened, and you gotta lure them to the same room and keep em there. Some might be powerful, some might be puney -eep 1 hit i'm dead kind) Some might need to be bribed, others come willingly, wutever.
-lure the ghost to same location.
-ghost dies or is dispelled in some quest-like text fashion, opening up the doorway to it's locked lair (or wutever).
-Sub quests could be restoring the old party members to life, which yields high EXP rewards, instead of looting their gear.

Could be for low levels, mid levels, or even high levels. All depends on what, and how powerful, you put in the way.
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:51 pm

Sesexe wrote:Quest Zones - Zones that are finished by completing quests and bringing about certain events, rather then simply killing the mobs with equipment or that guard them.

Example.
A terrible killer stalked the town of blahblahblah, but the officials were never able to catch him, despite some of them being powerful clerics and mages. Eventually they all died, some of natural causes, and some from the assasin's hand (or his minions). Now years later, the assassin still lives, but as a cursed undead ghost, that continues to pray on the poor people of blahblahblah. A curse so powerful, that magical weapons glance off the ghost, magic has no effect, and only by discovering the secret to it's origins, can it ever be dispelled. A call was set out, and a group of powerful adventurers armed with mighty magics answered, but they were ultimately defeated by the ghost assassin, unable to divine the secret to finally putting it to rest. Now they are undead spirits under his control, with their hoard of magical items and corpses rotting in the assassin's lair.

Low Down:
-bring the old officals back to life (sub quests here)
-bring them all to the same place (they might be hostile when awakened, and you gotta lure them to the same room and keep em there. Some might be powerful, some might be puney -eep 1 hit i'm dead kind) Some might need to be bribed, others come willingly, wutever.
-lure the ghost to same location.
-ghost dies or is dispelled in some quest-like text fashion, opening up the doorway to it's locked lair (or wutever).
-Sub quests could be restoring the old party members to life, which yields high EXP rewards, instead of looting their gear.

Could be for low levels, mid levels, or even high levels. All depends on what, and how powerful, you put in the way.

Great idea,, I love it...

Oh the coding!!! *grin*

Lilira

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”