More chat channels

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
layley
Sojourner

More chat channels

Postby layley » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:00 am

Like id really think race channels would be cool

and also an in character chat channel

and even possibly a friends channel of your own maybe at a certain lvl

so:

1. Race channels

2. In Character chat channel

3. And a Bonus friends channel (that can be by doing a quest or something)
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:15 am

i played on a mud that has a gazillion channels, you would think it would be cool, and at first it is. But it gets very very very lame after a while.
Cofen group-says 'wtf, why am i missing a cursed khanjari?'
Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'
Nonox tells you 'i think someone casted 'power word gay' on pril'
Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
Kissa
Sojourner

Postby Kissa » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:13 am

i think an auction channel would be pretty cool =]
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:32 pm

Kissa wrote:i think an auction channel would be pretty cool =]

I agree. This way salesmanship can be factored in to the selling process. Plus you could advertise things for sale that you otherwise wouldn't be able to, such as backup book copies, bags of goodberries, bags of potions, etc.

I used to think that this should be done on the same channel that we see the auction messages on, but not I'm not so sure. Maybe the toggle could be "auction basic" and "auction full" or something, with basic showing what we see now, and full showing player communication as well. Player messages would be good, but could also get spammy, especially if people just repeat the same messages over and over, like the shouts in WD.

So basically, with a basic/full option, I think this would be great. With no way to toggle it, it would be bad.

- Mike
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:01 pm

i would be in favor of an equipment trading channel provided 2 things.

1. If it was zone specific. For instance you would only hear trade offers inside the zone you are in.

2. I think it goes without saying that it needs to be toggable.

I have always hated trade shouts, I would love to see those finally put to bed.

Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'

Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:02 pm

character created and controlled channels.

people who dont like it or feel like they are being harrassed can unjoin the channel.

no god intervention enuff said.

----

auction channels suck because everyone has an opinion on the price of an item and it ends up being an eq value/price argument channel. I don't really see how it would be any use to a seller (since the arguments would usurp his objective of getting the best price for his eq) and only useful to a buyer if he was too lazy to go to auction. Oh since the suggestion is to have it zone based, it wouldnt be useful at all to buyers either.
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
rer
Sojourner

Postby rer » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:07 pm

Please, oh PLEASE, don't add to the spam.

I agree with Kiryan - Auc Channel is just pointless since the Imms implemented the Auc houses.

If you want a player guided channel, join a guild. Then just tog the channel if you don't wanna talk. or #GAG Pril; #GAG Cofen; #GAG Agor
That would kill an assload of spam...
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:22 pm

kiryan wrote:character created and controlled channels.

people who dont like it or feel like they are being harrassed can unjoin the channel.

no god intervention enuff said.

----

auction channels suck because everyone has an opinion on the price of an item and it ends up being an eq value/price argument channel. I don't really see how it would be any use to a seller (since the arguments would usurp his objective of getting the best price for his eq) and only useful to a buyer if he was too lazy to go to auction. Oh since the suggestion is to have it zone based, it wouldnt be useful at all to buyers either.

Kiryan i think the problem here is you're looking at it the wrong way. You're trying to find ways to make this stuff useful, i look at it as ways to give gods more work so we can add more useless junk to game before upgrading rangers. So YAY for more channels :p

*pet kiryan*

Pril
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:28 am

im not talking about an auction channel, im talking about a trade channel

replacing the old shout system

Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:40 am

Wow, some different thoughts about trade shouts! I have to pipe up and say that when I first ever logged into Sojourn peaople in the street shouting to sell items I just thought was SO awesome, it really adds to the busy city atmosphere. I think an auction channel would detract from the thematic feel of sojourn, especially when we have a great system like the auctioneers (which needs the fix on bidding in the last second however).

I like the thought of character controlled channels to a degree, however we do already have gsay and acc for character based stuff, aswell as RP channels, gcc, ooc, arena, for specific purposes.

If we did have character controlled channels we would need to make it the standard practice to have a channel for rogue's saying 'hidden?' and 'I blinded/silenced/you blinded the mob' that I can gag/tog! *grins*

In all serious tho, If things like RP channels were player controlled, so people didn't know to tog them on, I don't think there would be as much spontaneous RP that happens when you just notice something going on. On the other hand a set RP channel could promote this a bit rather than when people ty to RP on ooc and just get flamed.
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:52 am

Auction channel... Trade channel...

What's the difference? It's not like we actually got some kinda actual trade on the mud. :P

Here I have 10 bazillion so so items you don't want or already have, and I'm trying to get this high-end item you have that will hold onto forever like it's made of gold. Send tells or mwrite me.

or

Here I have this really cool item, but I want this UBER cool item to trade for it that's even better, because I have a kagillion in plat too. Send tells or mwrite me. We can work something out.. well not really.

:eyeroll:

I don't see an auction channel, or a trade channel making a lick of difference with such an EQ saturated mud. Reminds me of the auction system. What a great idea that was in theory. Now look at it in execution. 15 billion crappy items noone buys and just sit up there.

Jeez, I can see it now:

Goober AUC: 'FS a slender sapphire-tipped trident, a shining mithril broadsword , a long, glittering trident, a long cloak of black scales, a steel amulet, a red velvet cloak a pair of hatori-skin boots'

*click*
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:36 am

8)

How about a cybersex channel?
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:31 am

Llaaldara wrote:Reminds me of the auction system. What a great idea that was in theory. Now look at it in execution. 15 billion crappy items noone buys and just sit up there.

The auction system is working well. There are always items for sale, and being purchased. New players enjoy bidding on the lower end items, and gives their money value. High end items are not listed every day, which is a good thing. The sorting options are very good, and let you see exactly what you want. If you don't want to see low end items, you can sort by price.

- Mike
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:47 pm

Yayaril wrote:8)

Plz Mike it's not "cybersex" it's "mudsex" get it right man :p

Pril
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:51 pm

Yarash wrote:
Llaaldara wrote:Reminds me of the auction system. What a great idea that was in theory. Now look at it in execution. 15 billion crappy items noone buys and just sit up there.

The auction system is working well. There are always items for sale, and being purchased. New players enjoy bidding on the lower end items, and gives their money value. High end items are not listed every day, which is a good thing. The sorting options are very good, and let you see exactly what you want. If you don't want to see low end items, you can sort by price.

- Mike

You can't 'sort' what people say dood.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:58 pm

Pril wrote:
Yayaril wrote:8)

Plz Mike it's not "cybersex" it's "mudsex" get it right man :p

Pril

And this already exists. :roll: Just ask Targsk.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:16 pm

You guys want a farmhouse chat channel?

Eeewwwwww.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:19 pm

oh i figured out how a trade channel would be useful... if you wanted to buy something you could trade channel your request...

perhaps auction could have a looking to buy section also.
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
layley
Sojourner

race channels dont seem to be commented on

Postby layley » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:21 am

the channels are all voluntary and communication is alway better than not
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:09 am

I think communication on trade channels would hurt the general feel and realism that atracts the more mature client base of torilmud. I really dislike those muds that people are constantly globally doing everything rather than moving around interacting a bit. Not like it doesn't take anyone 5 minutes to get to WD and read a board anyhow. We have FS/trade boards, auctioneers, marketplace, shops, shouts, and the occasional big sale or auction by guilds or individuals. I think all these things could be harmed and make the mud more flat and boring like everywhere else with a trade channel.

Sides, all communication is definately not good! Ever heard Gormal get on ooc after a pile of beers? :( Already the gcc and LFG channels get used for the wrong stuff daily.

The mudsex channel is a top notch idea. Would really open up the tent zone to the rest of the mud in more ways than one! Voyeurism anyone? *touch*
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:00 pm

"The mudsex channel is a top notch idea. Would really open up the tent zone to the rest of the mud in more ways than one! Voyeurism anyone? *touch*"

*groan* Okay,, lets just have that there for the little 13-15 year old boys and girls to log into. Fun Fun!!

Yes, I sensed the sarcasmn, just adding my own brand of it. :-)

Lil'lili
*snicker*
I should roll a halfling/gnome and name her that....
layley
Sojourner

race channel

Postby layley » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:28 pm

just so we can talk amonst our own race for insights into the race .
and developing ideas for dealing with other races in role play
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:51 pm

Ashiwi wrote:You guys want a farmhouse chat channel?

oooh, now that sounds intersting..
tog barnyard

seriosuly, the game needs no more channels.
BEER
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:55 pm

In terms of an auction channel I like the following:

Want to Buy...Player says "Hey, I'm looking to buy this item, send a tell if you have one and will sell it"

Want to trade..."Hey, I'll trade someone this for this" or "I have this for trade"

No For Sale stuff - that should be left to our prexisiting system - although I'm all for time modifiers to prevent sniping of items...That is a discredit to buyers and sellers alike. Buyers get shafted for not sniping, sellers loose out on plats because nobody bids till the last minute, in hopes of sniping it.

I also think if some kind of channel was created, if its part of the auction channel there would need to be togs for basic/full as suggested above.
Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:28 am

Botef wrote:In terms of an auction channel I like the following:

Want to Buy...Player says "Hey, I'm looking to buy this item, send a tell if you have one and will sell it"

Want to trade..."Hey, I'll trade someone this for this" or "I have this for trade"

No For Sale stuff - that should be left to our prexisiting system - although I'm all for time modifiers to prevent sniping of items...That is a discredit to buyers and sellers alike. Buyers get shafted for not sniping, sellers loose out on plats because nobody bids till the last minute, in hopes of sniping it.

I also think if some kind of channel was created, if its part of the auction channel there would need to be togs for basic/full as suggested above.

great ideas, something else to maybe consider is an evil race and good race chat channel, would help when forming zoning groups and or exp
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:24 am

Llaaldara wrote:And this already exists. :roll: Just ask Targsk.

It does...assoc apply me and you'll see all the raunchy stuff she talks about. Chocolate BJ's...activities with her GF...Rarlaj (and once Ruxur) talking about their moms....

Good times, good times...

:twisted:
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:47 am

Latreg wrote:
Botef wrote:In terms of an auction channel I like the following:

great ideas, something else to maybe consider is an evil race and good race chat channel, would help when forming zoning groups and or
exp

Can you say redundant? We already have flea market boards, the
marketplace on the bbs, and auction houses. not to mention the
endless spamming in WD. Don't see why this is an issue any longer.

Del
rarlaj
Sojourner

Postby rarlaj » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:03 pm

Yasden wrote:
Llaaldara wrote:And this already exists. :roll: Just ask Targsk.

It does...assoc apply me and you'll see all the raunchy stuff she talks about. Chocolate BJ's...activities with her GF...Rarlaj (and once Ruxur) talking about their moms....
Good times, good times...

:twisted:

first of all... It wasnt my mother it was Ruxur's Mom and I was sayin that his mother had to watch out for Targsk cause she and Artikerus look so much alike that Targsk may mistake Rux's Mom for Artikerus and Rux would have a little brother or sister on the way!

Rarlaj
Rarlaj - Athiyk Cretok - Orbdrin D'oloth

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”