Vampires and silver

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Yarash
Sojourner

Vampires and silver

Postby Yarash » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:23 am

Here's a low priority idea that might be fun. So Blade and Blade II were shown on TV a couple nights ago and I was thinking, it might be fun if weapons with the keyword "silver" had a small chance of doing something interesting when used on vampire mobs. The effect would of course have to be small, but would add some interest.

The effect could be anything...what it is is unimportant, but here's a couple ideas:
1 in 35 chance the hit does double damage.
1 in 35 chance the hit ray of enfeebles the mob.

Another option would be to make the effect greater, and vampires could be worth less points/exp.

- Mike
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:18 pm

I always thought that was werewolfs? :9
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:48 pm

< 379h/379H 97v/116V P: std >give 5 s werewolf
Ok.

< 379h/379H 116v/116V P: std > glance werewolf
The werewolf has some small wounds and bruises.

The werewolf has quite a few wounds.

The werewolf is prety hurt.

The werewolf is bleeding from large open wounds.

There werewolf is dead! R.I.P.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:40 pm

Shouldn't undead, in general, take more damage from silver weapons?
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:54 pm

Ashiwi wrote:Shouldn't undead, in general, take more damage from silver weapons?

Nope.
Asup group-says 'who needs sex ed when you got sesexe.'
Targsk group-says 'sexedse'
mount dragon
You climb on and ride Tocx'enth'orix, the elder black dragon.
You have learned something new about mount!
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:31 pm

Okay, let me reword that. Shouldn't evil undead, in general, take more damage from silver weapons? The tradition of silver being used against evil manifestations, especially undead types, dates back to Pagan times, when it was considered to be a good source of protection from all evil, much like garlic. The distinctions between one or the other being used against only particular forms of evil is a modern invention. I haven't played D&D since I was a kid, so if they make the distinction between the different evil undeads and the effect of silver upon them, then I'm ignorant of it, as well as how the Forgotten Realms views it vs. general D&D.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:14 am

Disoputlip wrote:< 379h/379H 97v/116V P: std >give 5 s werewolf
Ok.

The werewolf has some small wounds and bruises.

The werewolf has quite a few wounds.

The werewolf is prety hurt.

The werewolf is bleeding from large open wounds.

There werewolf is dead! R.I.P.

ROFL! Great post, Disoputlip :)
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:30 am

Ashiwi wrote:I haven't played D&D since I was a kid, so if they make the distinction between the different evil undeads and the effect of silver upon them, then I'm ignorant of it, as well as how the Forgotten Realms views it vs. general D&D.

The Short: They are separated. Undead are not generally susceptible to silver. That’s lycanthropes (werewolves, werebears, wererats, etc). Blade != D&D

The Long (If you’re so inclined)
According to 3rd Ed, they do separate them. Undead 'in general' are not affected by silver any more then gold, platinum, iron, adamantium/ite, mithril, or any other elements typically fashioned into weapons else for that matter. (Holy water is a different story) In 'general', it's all the same to them. Skeletal undead, such as well Skeletons, are less susceptible to certain damage types. They take half damage from slashing and piercing weapons. Lichs are not listed as a skeletal type of undead in the D&D repertoire. There is no indication in the D&D material that undead take extra damage from blunt weapons, in fact, it lists that they simply do their normal damage. (Incase you were wondering).

In addition (from 3rd Ed):

"Repelling a Vampire
Vampires cannot tolerate the strong odor of garlic and will not enter an area laced with it. Similarly, they recoil from a mirror or a strongly presented, holy symbol. These things don't harm the vampire - they merely keep it at bay.
Vampires are also unable to cross running water, although they can be carried over it while resting in their coffins or aboard a ship. They are utterly unable to enter a home or other building unless invited in by someone with the authority to do so. They may freely enter public places, since these are by definition open to all.

Slaying a Vampire
Simply reducing a vampire's hit points to 0 or below incapacitates but doesn't destroy it. However, certain attacks can slay vampires.
Exposing any vampire to direct sunlight disorients it: It can take only partial actions and is destroyed utterly on the next round if it cannot escape. Similarly, immersing a vampire in running water robs it of one-third of its hit points each round until it is destroyed at the end of the third round.
Driving a wooden stake through a vampire's heart instantly slays the monster. However, it returns to life if the stake is removed, unless the body is destroyed. A popular tactic is to cut off the creature's head and fill its mouth with holy wafers (or their equivalent)."

2nd Ed doesn't list silver as an effective weapon against vampires either, and unfortunately I'm not going to check each individual type of undead entry since 2nd isn't as organized as 3rd.

Now as far as Lycanthropes goes. Silver weapons act as magical weapons in terms that they can hit a lycanthrope and hurt it, but other then that they don't do any special or additional damage.

It is important to note that Lycanthropes are not undead.

I always thought silver was for.. well werewolves. Not vampires, or zombies, or skeletons, etc. Blade is pretty much the only vampire genre I'm familiar with that has silver as a weapon against this specific form of undead. Please also note that in that genre, unnatural vampirism (vampires not born from other vampires) is a cure-able blood disorder. Whereas in D&D, it isn't cure-able.
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:33 pm

Yeah. The silver thing would make it hard for me to raise investment bankers. I'm gonna have to veto.

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”