drag all.pcorpse

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Demuladon
Sojourner

drag all.pcorpse

Postby Demuladon » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:26 am

Probably an old idea..

Replace:

drag 1.pcorpse 2.pcorpse .. 17.pcorpse etc etc enter portal

with:

drag all.pcorpse enter portal

and the player dragging will attempt (based on strength/moves/terrain) to drag all consented pcorpses (in this case into portal).
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:00 pm

we had this already about 3 years ago...

except they threw in a strength check at the same time so people could no longer drag 15 corpses at a time they could only drag 3 or 4.

bring back drag all.pcorpse and get rid of the strength check.
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:47 am

kiryan wrote:get rid of the strength check.

Then there wouldn't be much reason to play a dwarf rogue over a halfling.

- Mike
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:30 am

drag yourown.pcorpse ;)
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:16 pm

dwarf vs halfling is extra attacks vs critical rate. Depending on what your favored weapons proc off of should determine what you play.

but good point, I didn't mean to eliminate it completely, but check strength on an individual corpse basis vs summing the weight of all corpses and checking if you can.
rer
Sojourner

Postby rer » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:40 pm

How exactly does one drag 15 corpses at a time anyway? Pile them all on a blanket and drag that?

Also, what's the point of getting rid of adding the corpse weights together? I mean, if you're dragging 15 corpses at once, you're dragging the entire weight of all 15 corpses. Doesn't make sense not to calculate for the full amount. Unless you want it to just leave corpses behind once the cumulative total hits your max...
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:27 am

the point is to make it fun and simple rather than a tedious typing race
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Demuladon
Sojourner

Postby Demuladon » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:04 am

Perhaps drag all.pcorpse could work if all the consented pcorpses have been corpse glamored.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:06 pm

You're still limited to the # of characters in a command line the MUD will accept, no matter if you have 300 str or not. :P

256 I believe it is.
rer
Sojourner

Postby rer » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:25 pm

So, just hope you're not dragging 15 squids!

drag msississississsixxxississisissixxisssx drag frississixxississixxivv ...
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:37 pm

rer wrote:How exactly does one drag 15 corpses at a time anyway? Pile them all on a blanket and drag that?

Also, what's the point of getting rid of adding the corpse weights together? I mean, if you're dragging 15 corpses at once, you're dragging the entire weight of all 15 corpses. Doesn't make sense not to calculate for the full amount. Unless you want it to just leave corpses behind once the cumulative total hits your max...

How does one go 3 months without eating and drinking or magical sustenance. How does a giant rogue hide in the midst of players? How does one fight effectively with 5 swords in his inventory (strapped to his belt/back).
rer
Sojourner

Postby rer » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:27 pm

kiryan wrote:
rer wrote:How exactly does one drag 15 corpses at a time anyway? Pile them all on a blanket and drag that?

How does one go 3 months without eating and drinking or magical sustenance. How does a giant rogue hide in the midst of players? How does one fight effectively with 5 swords in his inventory (strapped to his belt/back).

How does a rogue speak while hidden, and not break hide? (gsay)

I agree, there are some inconsistencies with how things should be. But that doesnt mean that we need to make things any worse. We should be making it better!
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:38 am

how do you tell to someone who is 1000 rooms away?

how realistic do you really want to be?

dragging a s load of corpses at one time should be fine... some situations it might kill the dragger a few times to allow them to only drag 3 or 4 corpses at a time, but do you really want longer CRs?
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:47 am

rer wrote:So, just hope you're not dragging 15 squids!

drag msississississsixxxississisissixxisssx drag frississixxississixxivv ...

HAHAHAHAHA!
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:59 pm

I've dragged for quite a few zones out there, and there's been very few where I've had to drag multiple corpses a long, long way. ::think:: SPOB? I'd say MD or UM2, but how many people take real groups down there? 90% of the time, dragging multiple corpses consists of dragging them all up to ten rooms away, at most. While I would like an easier method of dragging multiple corpses instead of having to mess with typing every one of them in, I still wouldn't be for reducing the load of dragging them. Special tools were designed to make dragging corpses easier, even exceedingly heavy ones, it's just up to us to use the tools we have.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
rer
Sojourner

Postby rer » Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:30 pm

Kiryan, I understand your point about the lack of realism. Just because there are a lot of things that aren't realistic doesn't mean we shouldn't keep those aspects that are.

Like Ashiwi said, use the tools that have been provided to us.
Demuladon
Sojourner

Postby Demuladon » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:07 pm

We had some bad luck at Izan's tonight and lost approx 30 pcorpses to rot because the duergar rogue couldn't fit all the pcorpses into the drag command when using the 1 time portal...

Rer pretty well hit the nail on the head! :)
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:35 pm

Next you all will be wanting rescue.all.

Feh.
Nekelet
Sojourner

Postby Nekelet » Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:30 pm

Just a thought..

So how about a 1 room or 2 portal dragPC. Scrap movement check and simply assume the pile is going to completely exhaust the dragger. After the drags complete, dragger is at 0 mv, and in the equiv of rezzfat for some duration.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:16 pm

Demuladon wrote:We had some bad luck at Izan's tonight and lost approx 30 pcorpses to rot because the duergar rogue couldn't fit all the pcorpses into the drag command when using the 1 time portal...

Rer pretty well hit the nail on the head! :)

Or you could just ress inside the zone...
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Lenefir
Sojourner

Postby Lenefir » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:35 am

(Rambling warning I guess)

You can't resurrect inside izan's unless you get a cleric alive and well inside the zone first, which is hard if you're already nekkid (from 30 corpses would assume so) since the entrance room (!tele, !sum, and so on) is a little bit crowded with aggro mobs. So, no, ressing isn't really an option until you have successfully managed to kill all the entrance mobs and gotten to a safe spot, in which case, as you say, rogue dragging isn't really needed any more since you most likely have the whole group inside by then.

Another room I can think of where drag all would be a nice thing to have is for some of those more notorious evermeet-root spanks. Getting a cleric to resurrect here isn't really that tempting... And unless you are prepared to do another run just to drag a few missing corpses, you're so out of luck unless more than one char is alive and can help with the dragging...

Likewise, if say you spank one time too much in Avernus and only the rogue (or one player) is alive and you really would want all the (equipped) corpses so you can have a better chance of survival when/if you go back in...

And so on...

I just see one (technical) problem with drag all.pcorpse if you just drag those you have consent for... and that is if one player forgot to consent. I know you can just say #¤"&"% him/her/it, but since, as I kind of mentioned above, most of the cases where you most want a drag all.pcorpse situation are in those rooms where you have only ONE attempt at getting out.... do you just leave it behind even if it's equipped? Or what if the rogue is a little rash and think (s)he has all the consents, but don't. It's easy to read wrong if you need 14 or 15 consents and there are 30++ corpses in the room all jumbled and mixed together... On the other side, if you do require consents from all the corpse owners in the room before being allowed to do a drag all.pcorpse, that might lead to other funny instances if someone already have said something like "It's just exp, I have work tomorrow, I need sleep" and gone linkdead or logged out, in which case you would now be back to dragging them all manually and achieved nothing but waisting coding time... Or if you somehow stumble upon the remains of an old failed resurrect from a previous run...

So... *ponder*

But I personally think it would be a really nice feature if it could be solved in a proper way...
"Being God isn't easy. If you do too much, people get dependent on you; and if you do nothing, they lose hope. You have to use a light touch [...]. When you do things right, people won't be sure you have done anything at all"
--Futurama
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:48 pm

The most simple solution is to have "drag all.pcorpse" work only for those pcorpses you have consent for. The rest could be ignored.
Demuladon
Sojourner

Postby Demuladon » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:54 am

We had some bad luck with pop timing and bad luck with 2 dead clerics.. corpse count was approx 47 at one stage (3x14 plus 5 rogue deaths) at around 4am easturn time.

The rogues did an awsome job with CR.. our duergar was killed 3 times trying to get the equiped corpses out and as many non-equipped as he could fit into drag line (losing maxed out 50th lvl skills in the process). Our drow did a suicide run trying to search out the second portal in room with a bunch of aggs to try getting the rest of corpses out.

If the "point's calculator" takes the 256 char buffer into account (meaning a zone gets more points for gear since only so many pcorpses can be retrieved) then fair enough. If the 256 char buffer was designed to maximize the number of corpses a rogue can drag.. then again fair enough leave drag as it is.. but if not..

if a rogue has the strength to drag the corpses, and has consent, I believe drag all.pcorpse enter portal is reasonable.

Edit:
ps. what Yas said
rer
Sojourner

Postby rer » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:37 pm

Ok, after last night's BC run, with 14 Rer corpses alone, and 15+ from Aristan and Vigis each, not to mention 10 Kiryans and several other players (think we must have hit 200 pcorpses last nite), I think that drag all.pcorpse is a good idea :P And I liked the idea to just have that command ignore the players that arent consenting you.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:43 pm

Tasan wrote:

What about one way portals and zones that pop?
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:53 pm

Well, assuming the corpses were looted, why not drag self.

#.pcorpes is pretty sweet

so would some sort of drag toggle (rather than manually dragging each step.)
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:44 pm

Llaaldara wrote:
Tasan wrote:

What about one way portals and zones that pop?

Ok fine, remove all the risk involved in the game. I give up on you damned "the game is too hard!" people. Let's make all mobs mounts too while were at it.

Dragging used to be an art; something you could show skill at. I guess it might as well go the route of hotkeys and spamming too.

!!x
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:38 pm

Now all of you that think drag all.pcorpse put together the drag command for the room below. notice the multiple stacks of a single players pcorpse... the corpses don't consolidate.

e.g. Rer from below has 1., 2., 3., 4., 5-10.

my biggest problem dragging was getting the corpses enumerated correctly. I'd have 1.rer 2x and end up leaving a rer behind, so I would have to recheck my command look for the highest # rer, find one of the duplicates and try again. When your dragging into a 1 way situation (portal, into a magically dark room *bonk*, 1 way exit) it behooves you to verify the command correctly before executing.

its just more complicated than it really needs to be. Its a game play issue, not a serious one, but one that is obfusciated and tedious.

Also, it would be nice if there was a way to check your drag command without leaving the room and have it display any syntax / duplicate type errors.. be nice if it showed corpses that were not in the drag command, but that might be too spammy.

Corpse of Rer is lying here. (magic)
Corpse of Kramel is lying here. (magic)
Corpse of Aranel is lying here. (magic)
Corpse of Aldira is lying here. (magic)
Corpse of Vena is lying here. (magic)
Corpse of Vigis is lying here. (magic)
Corpse of Kiryan is lying here. (magic)
Corpse of Anarii is lying here. (magic)
[3] Corpse of Kramel is lying here. (magic)
Corpse of Ashod is lying here. (magic)
Corpse of Aristan is lying here. (magic)
Corpse of Aldira is lying here. (magic)
Corpse of Elun is lying here. (magic)
[2] Corpse of Kiryan is lying here. (magic)
Corpse of Anarii is lying here. (magic)
Corpse of Aristan is lying here. (magic)
[5] Corpse of Vigis is lying here. (magic)
[5] Corpse of Vena is lying here. (magic)
[6] Corpse of Rer is lying here. (magic)
[4] Corpse of Kramel is lying here. (magic)
[5] Corpse of Kiryan is lying here. (magic)
[4] Corpse of Ashod is lying here. (magic)
[5] Corpse of Aristan is lying here. (magic)
[2] Corpse of Anarii is lying here. (magic)
[3] Corpse of Aldira is lying here. (magic)
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:35 pm

drag all.rer would have been particularly awesome.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:54 pm

After doing Avernus, I'm going to have to go back on something I said up above. I see the difficulty in dragging a huge number of corpses like that, and it would be very beneficial to a dragger to have a command which would allow them to drag all.pcorpse (drag all.pcorpse, drag all.rer, etc). I still wouldn't support eliminating the weight limit on dragging corpses, but when somebody like Kiryan is trying to co-ordinate a zone like BC, and trying to help drag corpses at the end of it, as well, it's really too much to have to stop and try to figure out which corpse he can't heft, which name he misspelled, which person revoked consent for whatever wild reason, or just never gave consent in the first place.

It would be nice to see a drag all.pcorpse command which would allow the PC to drag all corpses in a room up to their limit, or a drag all.playercorpse command which would allow them to drag all of one particular player's corpses from a pile, leaving those they can't drag behind without stopping them dead for some immediately undiscernable reason why. If you couldn't drag all twelve Rer corpses, then the last two would just be left where they were lying, with maybe a message letting the player know they couldn't drag one of the things they attempted to drag for each corpse left behind.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
shalath
Sojourner

Postby shalath » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:33 pm

I lost all my rogue triggers a while back and have been re-writing them again from scratch, so I haven't re-written this one yet (and besides I use a unix mud client and so they would probably be useless to the majority of you zMud users). But I used to have a drag alias which expanded to the kind of thing you're after.

So, for instance, if I did

pdra 4 rer w

It would expand to

drag 1.rer 2.rer 3.rer 4.rer west

Likewise

pdra 3 rer 1 ashiwi 2 alilsil 1 kiryan 99 moritheil enter well

would expand to

drag 1.rer 2.rer 3.rer 1.ashiwi 1.alilsil 2.alilsil 1.kiryan 1.moritheil 2.moritheil [...] 99.moritheil enter well

Finally just counting how many pcorpses there are in total and doing (say)

pdra 4 pcorpse enter portal

would expand to

drag 1.pcorpse 2.pcorpse 3.pcorpse 4.pcorpse enter portal

It's all about properly parsing the command line with the alias pdra (which stands for Player DRAg by the way). Of course, my mud client has a built in perl interpreter which makes writing this kind of thing fairly easy. But the principles are sound, and I'm sure they could be implemented in zMud.

This doesn't sort out the other issues, to do with ongoing consents (*why* can't consent last after a death or a reboot?), and also I agree that if missing consent on a single corpse out of 14 you should automatically drag the rest and leave the !consent one behind.

-thalash
[Profile edited by Board Admin. If you can't be civil, we'll fix it for you. -ed]

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”