Spell idea for pet owners

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Thilindel
Sojourner
Posts: 3173
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Spell idea for pet owners

Postby Thilindel » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:23 am

Did a half-hearted search to see if it's been brought up before:

SUMMON MINION
Spell.

Area of effect: <servants of the caster>
Aggressive: Yes
Cumulative: N/A
Duration: Instantaneous
Class/Circle: Elementalist/Necromancer/Lich/Illusionist/Shaman 5th,
Druid/Illusionist 6th
Type of spell: Summoning

This spell will any minions and servants of the caster within the caster's zone. Summon Minion will drain caster's hitpoints relative to summoned creature(s) level(s).
Pril
Sojourner
Posts: 1834
Joined: Sat May 11, 2002 5:01 am

Postby Pril » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:44 am

"This spell will any minions and servants of the caster within the caster's zone. Summon Minion will drain caster's hitpoints relative to summoned creature(s) level(s)."

Um thil can ya write that again? The first sentance makes no sense....

Pril
Yayaril
Sojourner
Posts: 2551
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Green Bay, WI

Postby Yayaril » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:35 am

8)

Here you go, I fixed it up so its readily readable now!

SMURF MINION
Spell.

Area of smurfage: <smurvants of the smurf>
Aggresmurf: Yes
Smurfulative: N/A
Smurfation: Instantaneous
Class/Smurfcle: Elesmurfalist /Necrosmurfer /Lichy Smurf /Illusmurfist /Shmurfan 5th, Smuid 6th
Type of smurfl: Smurfoning

This smurf will smurf any smurfs and smurvants of the smurf within the smurf's village. Smurf Minion will smurf the smurf's smurfpoints relative to summoned smurf(s) level(s).
Thilindel
Sojourner
Posts: 3173
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Postby Thilindel » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:06 am

I tried copy/paste and somehow between that and playin chess on chess.net I f'd it up :(. I won the game tho! :P

Just the spell will summon yer pets and you lose hps in drawing their energies to you *splat*
Thilindel
Sojourner
Posts: 3173
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Postby Thilindel » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:07 am

And, dammit, yaya! Quit teasing and make more cartoons! *nod me* Those rock!
rer
Sojourner
Posts: 552
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:19 pm

Postby rer » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:05 pm

This has been brought up a few times in the past as I recall. Basically, especially as a lich, it's easy enuf to togpet and make new ones. Or to keep track of your pets.

If anything, it could send out a "beacon" of sorts, to let the pets track to you, meaning they'd still be in danger of aggro mobs...

I'm pretty sure that this would overpower the class tho.
Thilindel
Sojourner
Posts: 3173
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Postby Thilindel » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:34 pm

rer wrote:This has been brought up a few times in the past as I recall. Basically, especially as a lich, it's easy enuf to togpet and make new ones. Or to keep track of your pets.

If anything, it could send out a "beacon" of sorts, to let the pets track to you, meaning they'd still be in danger of aggro mobs...

I'm pretty sure that this would overpower the class tho.

But let's not forget our friendly little shaman!
rer
Sojourner
Posts: 552
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:19 pm

Postby rer » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:15 pm

I have a shaman, and I dont want this. I think it's unnecessary.
Teyaha
Sojourner
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 5:01 am

Postby Teyaha » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:47 am

make it necro only

liches are godly as it is

wouldnt mind another reason to forego the lich quest
Llaaldara
Sojourner
Posts: 998
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Dobluth Kyor

Postby Llaaldara » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:35 pm

Yayaril wrote:8)

Here you go, I fixed it up so its readily readable now!

SMURF MINION
Spell.

Area of smurfage: <smurvants of the smurf>
Aggresmurf: Yes
Smurfulative: N/A
Smurfation: Instantaneous
Class/Smurfcle: Elesmurfalist /Necrosmurfer /Lichy Smurf /Illusmurfist /Shmurfan 5th, Smuid 6th
Type of smurfl: Smurfoning

This smurf will smurf any smurfs and smurvants of the smurf within the smurf's village. Smurf Minion will smurf the smurf's smurfpoints relative to summoned smurf(s) level(s).


Sounds Smurfy to me!
Botef
Sojourner
Posts: 1056
Joined: Fri May 10, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Eastern Washington
Contact:

Postby Botef » Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:23 pm

Teyaha wrote:make it necro only

liches are godly as it is

wouldnt mind another reason to forego the lich quest


Exactly
Thilindel
Sojourner
Posts: 3173
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Postby Thilindel » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:07 pm

still sounds good :)
rer
Sojourner
Posts: 552
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:19 pm

Postby rer » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:28 pm

This spell is still unnecessary and overpowering.

Once again, Necros and Liches are fine as is. Spend your time on worthwhile causes please.
Yayaril
Sojourner
Posts: 2551
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Green Bay, WI

Postby Yayaril » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:29 am

8)

A spell that summons your pets is overpowering? Why don't we let the gods decide what's "Worth their time" there, bud.
Ashiwi
Sojourner
Posts: 4161
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2001 5:01 am

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:29 am

Come play, Yaya, show him what it's all about.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Burmadapig
Sojourner
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 6:56 pm
Location: New Orleans
Contact:

Postby Burmadapig » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:33 am

I think it should be SUMMON MIGNON as in Filet Mignon! Man that would be kickass! I love a good filet!
Thilindel
Sojourner
Posts: 3173
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Postby Thilindel » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:47 am

I could go with that! Your pets would detect it and track to you...in the process of taking it from you, by force, you're reduced to a -5 hp pile of shambles!
rer
Sojourner
Posts: 552
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:19 pm

Postby rer » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:40 pm

Yes, adding a spell that summons your pets is overpowering. Extremely so, in fact. You do that, and all of a sudden you have a 1 man "group" doing a lot of things that were previously unsoloable. My impression was that this game was designed for teamwork, not how much a single player can get on their own.

Implement this, and I can guaruntee that I'll have a level 50 necro in a week and show you just how easily this can be abused.
Thilindel
Sojourner
Posts: 3173
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Postby Thilindel » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:20 pm

LOL You do that. You're so full of crap :P I XP'd virtually nonstop while lili was on break about 2 weeks. Despite work and family time, I hit lvl 48. Unless you live behind the keyboard, you'll not touch 50. I don't understand just why it is you think it's overpowering. Maybe if you explained instead of the ambiguity of 'It's too powerful' Elementalist just tog/create, and wait to blind if need be. Caster pets can dim to you if you order them, then speedwalk. The spectres/ghasts are the ones in question I'm specifically hoping to summon.
lintral
Sojourner
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:06 am

Postby lintral » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:51 pm

Just to comment, you can't order your pets to dim and then run anymore. Awhile back code was changed so that pets automatically stop casting and follow when you move. You can order them to dim and then teleport/dim yourself, but that's as good as it gets.

Personally I don't see the power, nor do I see the need. When I do zone with necro, the only time I lose track of my pets is usually against dragons. And it's a rare zone where I don't have some extra corpses bound/pressed waiting for animation at hand.
rer
Sojourner
Posts: 552
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:19 pm

Postby rer » Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:19 pm

Thilindel wrote:LOL You do that. You're so full of crap :P I XP'd virtually nonstop while lili was on break about 2 weeks. Despite work and family time, I hit lvl 48. Unless you live behind the keyboard, you'll not touch 50. I don't understand just why it is you think it's overpowering. Maybe if you explained instead of the ambiguity of 'It's too powerful' Elementalist just tog/create, and wait to blind if need be. Caster pets can dim to you if you order them, then speedwalk. The spectres/ghasts are the ones in question I'm specifically hoping to summon.


Just to clarify Thil, I already have a necro started, i just don't play him much, so getting to 50 wouldn't be that hard. But thanks for playing.

As far as twinkability, I shouldnt need to explain all the different methods you can use this for. There's a reason the Gods took out the dim/speedwalk option. Because, while it's relatively easy for a PC to get past a tough spot and summon their help (or have their help dim to them). If you really can't understand the ease of abuse here, then I'm glad, because that means that you don't have a clue how to twink anything, which is something that the Imms are trying to prevent anyway.
Dalar
Sojourner
Posts: 4905
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2001 6:01 am

Postby Dalar » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:11 pm

Rer, I abuse the shit out of everything until it's fixed. I'd like to see two examples of pets dimming as a gamebreaking advantage. Imms didn't remove the speedwalk/dim for that reason. They added the "feature" so pets would actually follow us more often as we walk. Also, elementalists, shamans, and a smart necro (omfg u can drag corpses while you run past mobs) can "speedwalk" and get their pets there. There are even high level pets better than anything that can be conjured.

BTW, what have you twinked to qualify you as "better" than Thilindel? You better have some AMAZING stories to be able to back up that kind of condescending bullshit.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Thilindel
Sojourner
Posts: 3173
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Postby Thilindel » Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:04 pm

Order wraith c 'dim' (player), cast 'dim' another person in zone..you appear, then the wraith appears. Did you forget that, Rer?
Pril
Sojourner
Posts: 1834
Joined: Sat May 11, 2002 5:01 am

Postby Pril » Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:37 pm

i THINK what Rer meant was:

(using lint as an example)

Lintral:

ord followers c 'dim' lintral

then lintral spams and they dim in, which you can't do any more since once ya move thay'll follow.

*shrug* if yer good you can even spam through with followers. Hell knows how many times i've spammed a group through stuff.

Pril
rer
Sojourner
Posts: 552
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:19 pm

Postby rer » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:15 pm

Thanks for the clarification Pril.

And as far as spamming goes, yes, you can do that. However, why would you bother if you knew you could just summon your pets through after you? Why would you bother learning the routes around WD (or other Hometowns) if you could just run through and summon your pets behind?

All this does is add power to a class (or classes if given to all pet owners) and ensure that we end up with more twinked out n00bs who really only know how to get from TP to DS and back.

Where is the real benefit in this? Why does everyone think it's so hard to keep track of pets? Why does anyone think that Necros need an upgrade? I haven't heard a single good answer to any of those questions, yet I still see people bitching all the time.
Dalar
Sojourner
Posts: 4905
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2001 6:01 am

Postby Dalar » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:59 pm

Rer, you can say how overpowering it, but you have no case without giving any examples. If you actually had a lvl 50 necro or shaman, I would consider your opinion. The only reason why you would need to walk around WD is to get to... nowhere. You can drag pets through WD and res them later. You can have your pets drag your corpses to WD if you must. You can make any pets in any exp zone or zone around WD.

Summon minion is a good spell for areas that require your pets to wear items, such as pff (Brass, FP). For shamans, it's very helpful for when you lose your pet to a roar or it got left behind due to lag and you can't run in and order it out.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
rer
Sojourner
Posts: 552
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:19 pm

Postby rer » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:14 am

[sarcasm] Sorry, my Shaman is only level 45, so I don't know how to use him... [/sarcasm]

Actually, Dartan, you pompous ass, I do know what I'm talking about, and I have never had a problem with losing my pet. I have zoned with my Shaman. I have fought dragons with my shaman. I have exped with my shaman. I have twinked with my shaman. I have quested with my shaman. I've pretty much done it all. SO, if you want to continue this conversation where you clearly have no idea who I am or who my characters are, or what I've done, then continue making yourself look like the stupid ass that you are. I've posted in this thread, and in others, several reasons why I feel like it would be overpowering.

Why am I not 50? Because I spend too much time zoning, questing, or twinking, to bother with exp. I get exp slowly as I zone/quest/etc. It's a hell of a lot more fun that way.

Stop pretending you're better than everyone. You're not. I've been around this mud in one form or another for 10+ years. I don't think I have a superiority complex. I do think that there are things that are already too easy and don't need to be made any easier. To make them easier would be, simply put, overpowering.
Thilindel
Sojourner
Posts: 3173
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Postby Thilindel » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:18 am

*THWAK!* Thank you Dalar for hitting the nail RIGHT on the head. What rer doesn't see is you can walk around all day in WD with undead if you know what you're doing. I think his attitude sucks tho :/ Seems the BBS is more of a battleground of egos sometimes *sigh*
Dalar
Sojourner
Posts: 4905
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2001 6:01 am

Postby Dalar » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:28 am

I don't think I'm better than everyone. I know I'm at least better than you. Nobody cares how long you've played or how long I've played. You bring proof of a problem to an argument. Pompous attitude? Yep, try reading your posts to Thilindel too. Also, read your "I'm gonna make a necro and pwn you all!" comment too.

I still haven't heard any clear argument from you about why this change is overpowering. All i see is "overpowering overpowering overpowering" and (insert false info here). The only thing this change is (imho) is convenience. Do yourself a favor. Instead of trying to attack me and flame me on the BBS, try presenting a valid argument about why summon minion is overpowering.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Llaaldara
Sojourner
Posts: 998
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Dobluth Kyor

Postby Llaaldara » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:57 am

If the fact that the biggest twinker/abuser in the game (as you yourself admitted in this thread) wants it doesn't already send off warning signals, then perhaps the following will. Now don't get all huffy and puffy on me D. At first I was in agreement with what you were saying, but then I thought about why you would want this, and if I was you, how would I use this as my lich to my personal maximum advantage:


Mobs have no memory on pets.

It is currently possible to flee your pets on a mob, bring them back in immediately, and the mob won't attack them.

If you are able to summon your mobs out of a room, from another room, you effectively give the pet-tender unlimited pets, because they can just summon them out after a certain amount of time, and then spam them all in again as needed to rotate tanks. Instead of having to enter the room themselves and actually risk engaging the mob and therefore risking the mob remembering them and/or hunting them.

In the case of the necro or lich, this is especially 'overpowering' because their pets are notoriously more powerful and more damaging then all other pet classes combined. Add with this with the fact that necro/lichs can now almost accumulate un-accustomed numbers of pets compared to previous years, because of the siphon circlet, trident of the undead, and command hoarde, etc., you now enable a necro/lich the ability to have an un-killable, un-remembered army at their beck and call.

As handy as this spell would be in keeping a hold of your pets, the twink factor is just insane. Go ahead. Give it to me and my 8 45+ level mobs and 30+ 10th-25th level mobs. I can honestly sit here and already see the things I'd be able to twink/solo now that I couldn't before.


Bottom line. It would be nice to have, but ultimately can lead to severe levels of twinkdom. It doesn't matter if it only summoned one pet or all, each I can sit here and see how I could use it to my advantage. In fact, summoning out one specific pet at a time would be even MORE overpowering, cuz then I could rotate tanks EASILY while keeping the majority of pets in the room constantly pounding away on the mobile.

Idea = Overpowering
Idea = Veto

(Edited for spelling)
Last edited by Llaaldara on Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thilindel
Sojourner
Posts: 3173
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Postby Thilindel » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:30 am

Easy resolution to that argument, Llaaldara..just like some zones are !tele/dim, etc, make twinky zones !pet sum to if a coder sees potential probs. I could have swore I posted that the summoner and pets would lose x amount of hps due to drawing on their energies but I didn't see that posted when I scrolled back. You could heal up or whatever. I do see your point tho, Llaaldara :)
Yayaril
Sojourner
Posts: 2551
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Green Bay, WI

Postby Yayaril » Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:15 am

lintral wrote:Just to comment, you can't order your pets to dim and then run anymore. Awhile back code was changed so that pets automatically stop casting and follow when you move. You can order them to dim and then teleport/dim yourself, but that's as good as it gets.

Personally I don't see the power, nor do I see the need. When I do zone with necro, the only time I lose track of my pets is usually against dragons. And it's a rare zone where I don't have some extra corpses bound/pressed waiting for animation at hand.


Actually, if you order your pets to dim to you, then wait until they're in dim lag, you can order them to dim to you again while you run to where ever you're going.
rer
Sojourner
Posts: 552
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:19 pm

Postby rer » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:27 pm

Llaaldara wrote:If the fact that the biggest twinker/abuser in the game (as you yourself admitted in this thread) wants it doesn't already send of warning signals, then perhaps the following will. Now don't get all huffy and puffy on me D. At first I was in agreement with what you were saying, but then I thought about why you would want this, and if I was you, how would I use this as my lich to my personal maximum advantage:


Mobs have no memory on pets.

It is currently possible to flee your pets on a mob, bring them back in immediately, and the mob won't attack them.

If you are able to summon your mobs out of a room, from another room, you effectivelly give the pet-tender unlimited pets, because they can just summon them out after a certain amount of time, and then spam them all in again as needed to rotate tanks. Instead of having to enter the room themselves and actually risk engaging the mob and therefore risking the mob remembering them and/or hunting them.

In the case of the necro or lich, this is especially 'overpowering' because their pets are notoriously more powerful and more damaging then all other pet classes combined. Add with this with the fact that necro/lichs can now almost accumulate un-acustomed numbers of pets compared to previous years, because of the siphon circlet, trident of the undead, and command hoarde, you now enable a necro/lich the ability to have an unkillable, un-remembered army at their beck and call.

As handy as this spell would be in keeping a hold of your pets, the twink factor is insane. Go ahead. Give it to me and my 8 45+ level mobs and 30+ 10th-25th level mobs. I can honestly sit here and already see the things I'd be able to twink/solo now that I couldn't before.


Bottom line. It would be nice to have, but ultimately can lead to server levels of twinkdom. It doesn't matter if it only summoned one pet or all, each I can sit here and see how I could use it to my advantage. In fact, summoning out one specific pet at a time would be even MORE overpowering, cuz then I could rotate tanks EASILY while keeping the majority of pets in the room constantly pounding away on the mobile.

Idea = Overpowering
Idea = Veto


Thanks for the help on this one Llal.

Additionally, sending your pets into an aggro room of trackers where, for whatever reasons (locked/hidden door, for example) you can't just spam through quite as easily, then summoning them past since you don't have to worry about the pets getting tracked...
Dalar
Sojourner
Posts: 4905
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2001 6:01 am

Postby Dalar » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:51 pm

Llaaldara wrote:If the fact that the biggest twinker/abuser in the game (as you yourself admitted in this thread) wants it doesn't already send of warning signals, then perhaps the following will. Now don't get all huffy and puffy on me D. At first I was in agreement with what you were saying, but then I thought about why you would want this, and if I was you, how would I use this as my lich to my personal maximum advantage:


Mobs have no memory on pets.

It is currently possible to flee your pets on a mob, bring them back in immediately, and the mob won't attack them.

If you are able to summon your mobs out of a room, from another room, you effectivelly give the pet-tender unlimited pets, because they can just summon them out after a certain amount of time, and then spam them all in again as needed to rotate tanks. Instead of having to enter the room themselves and actually risk engaging the mob and therefore risking the mob remembering them and/or hunting them.

In the case of the necro or lich, this is especially 'overpowering' because their pets are notoriously more powerful and more damaging then all other pet classes combined. Add with this with the fact that necro/lichs can now almost accumulate un-acustomed numbers of pets compared to previous years, because of the siphon circlet, trident of the undead, and command hoarde, you now enable a necro/lich the ability to have an unkillable, un-remembered army at their beck and call.

As handy as this spell would be in keeping a hold of your pets, the twink factor is insane. Go ahead. Give it to me and my 8 45+ level mobs and 30+ 10th-25th level mobs. I can honestly sit here and already see the things I'd be able to twink/solo now that I couldn't before.


Bottom line. It would be nice to have, but ultimately can lead to server levels of twinkdom. It doesn't matter if it only summoned one pet or all, each I can sit here and see how I could use it to my advantage. In fact, summoning out one specific pet at a time would be even MORE overpowering, cuz then I could rotate tanks EASILY while keeping the majority of pets in the room constantly pounding away on the mobile.

Idea = Overpowering
Idea = Veto


Llaalldara, give me two examples of where that will be useful? How is that any different than an elementalist spamming fire elementals on something like UE.

Let's take your hypothetical situation. You can have 2 ghosts, 2 specs, or 1 spec 2 wraiths. Any combo results in around 90 level points (I forget). I'm not sure where you're getting all those other lvl 45+ pets because I really don't where to get any from a summonable item. Then you spam yourself a while with trident of undead and get a nice army. I'm guessing you will only summon 11-12 because of group limit.

Note: You need all your pets grouped so they assist each other, unless you are fighting a mob that areas. If the mob areas they're pretty much toast anyways.

So say you summon minion is like a mass summon for all your pets, grouped or not. You send your pets and they assist each other and begin fighting. You wait 30 seconds and summon them. Heal them all up, repeat. How long would this take for you to kill something?

Let's look at single fights.

Clerics: Impossible since they heal.
Mages: An extremely long time. Mages can prism and get lucky with dispel magic.
Warriors: Defintely doable
Thiefs: Defintely doable

Multiple aggressive fights: Depending on if the mobs spread out their targets, how many mobs. 1v1 your pets can last a while. 2+v1 they can't.

Where would I see this useful? Nowhere really. Soloing rares in GC? I have a guild to do that or I will just fight it straight up with my illusionist. Fighting dragons? Yea right. Fighting Tarrasque? Hell no. I can't think of any fight on prime that would make me want to do this.

Lastly, Llaaldara you may think I want this to use to my own advantage since I'm a known abuser of bugs. Interesting assumption, but false. A smart abuser knows he's not the only one out there. I don't think I've ever endorsed an idea that would lead me to abusing something like this because I would have competition (which leads to downgrades anyways) and it will screw up the MUD economy. Also, the last bug I abused was trying to drown a dragon, unless you count the invincible spirit tank. Those were around when Kia was here. Since then, why would I even need to twink anything? My characters are fully decked. Any change that comes is an advantage to people who don't have equipment.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Llaaldara
Sojourner
Posts: 998
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Dobluth Kyor

Postby Llaaldara » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:54 pm

One thing I'd like to really point out about how this is excessively overpowering.

Imagine a mob, that is locked behind a door you need a key for. The mob is a tracker. The necro/lich could solo this mob(s) with impunity. Just send your wraith-form cold-shielded mobs thru the locked door (they’ll auto engage the agro all mob), you sit back from the other side of a locked door summoning out your pets, and healing them back up, sending them back in, etc. The mob would never track to you b/c it doesn’t have mob memory, and would never ‘accidentally’ walk in on you b/c the door is locked. You will have completely bypassed the tracker flag or possibility for it to walk in and spank you.


Now I hear ya Thillindel, why not add !summon flags to rooms around areas like this, but is that going to be !summon for players too? That’s a concern. Or will it just be !pet summon? Either way, I doubt the areas sphere, or anyone else for that matter, would want to go thru every existing zone in the game to find fights/rooms to add this flag in. (Seriously, would you want to do this?).

Instead, what would happen is certain people would abuse the situation constantly, until their behavior was found out, and then it would get changed. (Followed immediately by bitching on the BBS about how they are using 'alternative tactics' or some other such nonsense and how they should be allowed to do this just because they are ‘handling’ an encounter 'differently then the area writer intended’). There’s just no way to cover all your bases once you add it in. The only way to prevent the twinking, is the absence of the ability in the first place.

Also, I’m sure we’d find a lot of the players who like to abuse stuff like this, finding the nearest possible room to summon their pets out. So it just further confounds the problem. You would have to make an entire zone !pet summon practically, and that more then anything, defeats the whole point of your idea. Right?


Now, Don’t just think of this idea in solo situations. Instead:
-Think of a necro/lich with a bard to re-heal your summoned pets, and you.
-Think of a necro/lich with a rogue/illusionist/druid sitting outside the combat room (or even in it!) giving updates on what’s happening to the necro/lich sitting as far away as the on zone edge, and in the case of an illusionist/druid, allowing the pet handler to fold/well pets back in (b/c !pet summon wouldn’t be !tele/fold/well).
Llaaldara
Sojourner
Posts: 998
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Dobluth Kyor

Postby Llaaldara » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:19 pm

Wanted to add this after reading your post Dalar.

Necro/Lich pets are the only summoned/created pets that cast spells. They are the buffest pets in the game. I'm sure anyone could mention, how is a necro/lich sending in wraithforms thru a locked door any different then an elementalist doing it with say a fire elemental?

The fire elemental isn't casting crippling spells or doing near the damage that necro/lich pets are. When contagion came in, I've almost solo'd DK vault. The only reason I have not been able to finish it (yes I've tried it more then once), was because I ran out of pets (Yes I had stock piled a huge series of corpses, but I still ran out, or the mud crashed). The pet summon idea helps to ensure longevity in a necro/lich's pets beyond what they are currently, because if gives you greater control of their movement/placement.

Also, as in the previous example, please note that you don't have to have wraithforms, if you have the key to the door. You could just send pets in, close door, lock door, and then summon them out as needed, and re-send in. Remember, mob isn't going to track you b/c you never engaged it.

As for the large number of pets, like I said, the siphon undead circlet. Once it recharges you can summon yet another, and another, and another. I've seen a lich able to have 3 before the mud crashed/booted on him. These mobs are 45+ warrior mobs that are buffer then ghasts.

This spell would fundamentaly change the necro/lich classes at the core level. Because now they all become 'catch and release' fishermen classes. We want to keep the necro/lich in the same room with the mobs, and risking engagement/attacks. That's why we don't give them blind.
Llaaldara
Sojourner
Posts: 998
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Dobluth Kyor

Postby Llaaldara » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:31 pm

Dalar wrote:Clerics: Impossible since they heal.

Wraiths and Ghosts auto-cast blackmantle when engaged and continue to try to cast it until it lands. Clerics are in fact easy because they try and heal self. Disagree.

Dalar wrote:Mages: An extremely long time. Mages can prism and get lucky with dispel magic.

More then that, pets don't auto-feeblemind. So yeah, mages would be the harder ones, and as you're pointing out, the army of small pets would all be nuked in one area anyways. Even your summoned pets that are solids would take a hit too. Agreed.


Dalar wrote:Warriors: Defintely doable

Agreed.

Dalar wrote:Thiefs: Defintely doable

Agree. Coldshield just decimates rogues.
Dalar
Sojourner
Posts: 4905
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2001 6:01 am

Postby Dalar » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:35 pm

Didn't know about siphon undead circlet because I was playing WoW at the time. Necro pets aren't the only summoned pets that cast spells too.
Anyways, wraithforms shouldn't even be able to go through locked doors since that's a whole mess in itself. A simple solution to your idea is to just code it where you can only summon certain pets, such as spirits or necro raised undead. While you can solo things like DK vault, there really is no benefit in doing it since DK vault equipment sucks and if someone wanted it bad enough they could get a group to do it. I'm sure it would take you a while to mass corpses and lvl 45 pets.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
User avatar
Shevarash
FORGER CODER
Posts: 2944
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:01 am

Postby Shevarash » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:16 pm

The Idea:

Not really seeing a need for this atm.

The Rest of the Thread:

My dad can still beat up your dad.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Elet
Sojourner
Posts: 184
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2001 6:01 am

Postby Elet » Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:18 pm

what about summon pet

base on level you can get from level 1-10 stray cat, 11-20 white rabbit and so on.. for rp purpose? :)
Botef
Sojourner
Posts: 1056
Joined: Fri May 10, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Eastern Washington
Contact:

Postby Botef » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:50 pm

Just buy one at your local pet shop.
Teyaha
Sojourner
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 5:01 am

Postby Teyaha » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:46 pm

fyi, cleric mobs do more than heal themselves. all the cleric mobs i've met also cyclone which tears up your pets. this puts them back into the difficulty of mage mobs.


surprised you forgot that
Lahgen
Sojourner
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:58 am

Postby Lahgen » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:14 am

Some of the earlier points need qualification, I think.

With all due respect to Rer, I do think it takes more than being here a long time in order to be a great mudder. I've only been here for over a year, but I've mudded in general, on and off, for about 8 years. I've had one high level character on one mud before. And even with all that, I'm still a pretty noobish player.

Without going into names, there is another player here who's probably been playing Toril for as long as I have, and she could outmud me any day of the week, with one armed tied behind her back.

In short, don't use length of time mudding as an argument.
Kesena OOC: 'i wish my daddy bought me power tools'
Dorgh group-says 'damn, even with Cofen helping Mori, they STILL can't kill someone
Hekanut says 'I know level doesn't matter much, but most won't take seriously if a level 2 claims to be the best thing before, during, and after sliced bread.'

Rather than seeing "subpar race/class," see "challenge."
rer
Sojourner
Posts: 552
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:19 pm

Postby rer » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:28 pm

For clarification, I wasn't pointing out time spent on Toril as an argument that I was better than anyone. Just letting Dartan know he could pull his head out of his ass and stop calling me a newb because I have been around the block a time or two.

I know that there are people who have been on much less time than me and are at various levels of skill and knowledge - above, equal to, and below me. At the same time there are people who have been around longer who are the same way.

Sorry for not being clear.
Lahgen
Sojourner
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:58 am

Postby Lahgen » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 pm

It's all good, Rer. I wasn't neccesarily thinking you were saying that, but if I could misread it that way, then others could too. I was mainly just getting up on my soapbox there for a moment.
Kesena OOC: 'i wish my daddy bought me power tools'

Dorgh group-says 'damn, even with Cofen helping Mori, they STILL can't kill someone

Hekanut says 'I know level doesn't matter much, but most won't take seriously if a level 2 claims to be the best thing before, during, and after sliced bread.'



Rather than seeing "subpar race/class," see "challenge."
rer
Sojourner
Posts: 552
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:19 pm

Postby rer » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:09 am

Lahgen => Post Count +1 *grin* *ruffle Lahgen*

Rer => Post Count +1 *grin* *ruffle self*

And I do agree with your point, too, man. Tenure does not necessarily mean you know more. Good call on calling me out!
kiryan
Sojourner
Posts: 7275
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2001 5:01 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA and Flagstaff, AZ
Contact:

Postby kiryan » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:26 am

summoning pets would be a tremendous help in zone. Your always leaving your stupid pets behind somewhere because they are blinded, parad, were in cast lag, were in kill lag whatever. Because you entered a portal but forgot to order them first.

summoning pets would really help with speed walking, i hate running with pets because im always having to go back for them or vig them. Its pretty lame. A perfectly reasonable price to pay for having a pet, but lame.

Personally, i won't waste time going back for somebody's pets when leading. This only really affects shaman (who really need their pets for the + to spell casting and becaues they can only summon 3 per week) and for necros/liches (who have to spend time making new pets).

its truly shitty that shaman don't get their summons back after a crash and can't return their pets. Its truly shitty that necros/liches have to start all over every boot getting new pets.

As for new twinks... I can only see one way in which the spell would help you solo. In the situation where your soloing a mob that has multiple agressive exits (or a locked door). Summoning would save your pets since you couldn't flee them out. sending pets in against an agressive mob then summoning them out without getting engaged... i suppose you gain a slight advantage as a necro/lich, however simply getting a reduce is probably just as overpowering.

The sending pets through a locked/closed door argument is trivial, elementalists can already do this ad nauseaum.
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
Nekelet
Sojourner
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:54 pm

Postby Nekelet » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:53 am

The sending pets alone trick is also a no-no, as far as I know. I knew a mental quite some time back (couple years) who was scolded for repeatedly sending fires against trolls until the trolls killed themselves.

Maybe I just play it safe, but I for one avoid that tactic.
Thilindel
Sojourner
Posts: 3173
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Postby Thilindel » Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:27 am

Nekelet wrote:The sending pets alone trick is also a no-no, as far as I know. I knew a mental quite some time back (couple years) who was scolded for repeatedly sending fires against trolls until the trolls killed themselves.

Maybe I just play it safe, but I for one avoid that tactic.


For example, the troll you fight during GCD eats fires up and regens way faster than this tactic would help :/
Yasden
Sojourner
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Postby Yasden » Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:58 am

[hijack]
Not true. I saw this tactic applied to jot trolls and it smote them mightily.

You have to remember 3 important things:

Fireshield damage = damage roll attacker made.
Fire damage = 2x for trolls.
Regen rate = directly proportional to % of base hps.

So if the elemental was 500 hps, the mentalist could just keep sending them at the troll. The troll could chew through that mental in 3 rounds, inflicting 1k damage onto itself. You figure it *might* regenerate 100-200 hps in that time before another elemental was sent to engage it.

It takes awhile, risky as hell, but completely doable.
[/hijack]

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests