New spell Ideas: this weeks special - the enchanter

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
alvathair
Sojourner

New spell Ideas: this weeks special - the enchanter

Postby alvathair » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:11 am

ok..beforei go on here, i would just like to say thanks for the 'constructive' criticism that people put up here.. quite helpful. to the other folks who feel they need to add huge layers of sarcasm, ego stroking and belittlement of others into new ideas posts..well... i hope u don't have kids.

now... i'm actually looking at all casters atm, not just the mentalist as some might believe, simply because i think new spells and ideas are a great way of keeping players motivated to play here. this time round i'm thinking about the much worked, little loved enchanter..

idea 1: Wingbind

9th or 10th circle quest
in casting this the chanter has a chance to bind the wings of a dragon currently being fought against, hence cutting out wing buffet, perhaps even cutting down the number of other procs for a round or 2 as the dragon readjusts... NOT automatically a success, but a chance to etc. in saying that it would have a short duration to prevent abuse. given the huge dillemas we have with dragons atm, its possible this might introduce a new element into the fights, ie. if it works, a great chance to win the fight, if it fails, a high chance we all die horribly to procs etc... again..

idea 2: Animate Weapon

unsure on spell level..but at least 6th or above.. thinking along the lines of the BC dagger here, but say you're in a fight, and the chanter steps up, drops some weapons on the ground and then animates them so they attack independently... let's say even that the number of weapons to be animated at once would be level dependant...so at 50 u might be able to animate 3 or 4 weaps to attack a mob until they be smoten also.. dunno... i like the idea, but i can tell it needs alot of work..

idea 3: Spheres of Absorbtion

at present, the major of the enchanters spells are able to be cast on others. in fact thats pretty much what the class does... blur,stone,scale,globe,haste etc etc... u know the drill... i would argue that in all likelihood an enchanters most powerful enchantments would be reserved for himself, so i have this idea...

9th or 10th circle:

the caster brings into being between 1 and 3 spheres which circle his body... one possibility is that they would absorb magic only, ie. a certain number of spell levels is able to be absorbed by each sphere before they explode, wink out etc... so for example lets say...random chanter..ummm xaril is fighting kost with his zone group... some of kosts flunkie mages throw down the smack with umm.. say inferno... everyone else in the group goes thru the normal rigmorole of sp sv..evasion whatever and takes damage.... for the chanter however, his spheres as they each take damage glow brightly and dissappear after absorbing a certain amount of damage... and xaril takes none or only a partial amount if there is any excess...

the other possibility with this idea is that we lower the circle, and as the caster increases in levels, in casting the spell they bring in different types of absorption spheres. ie. casting it at 36 you have one sphere that absorbs.. say 200 hps of physical / melee damage. you hit 41 and the spell creates a second sphere on top of that which is able to absorb 200 hps of magical damage... the numbers don't matter..u get the idea... then at 46 you bring in a third sphere which is able to absorb another form of damage... eg. psionics, breath weaps?

idea 4: Claws of Restraint

somewhat lower in level..maybe 4th,5th etc.. the caster summons stone / earth claws etc from around the victim which then have a chance to grapple / hold them. similar in some ways to entangle, it would reduce AC and hit bonuses, perhaps even prevent action at all for a round or 2 before the claws shatter ??

will put more up as i think of them...feedback (constructive) welcome.

tai, ganj, bong.
Gura
Sojourner

Postby Gura » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:23 am

how about a summon tiamat spell?
Dornax says 'And for the right amount of information ye might get some nookie out of Nokie..'

Nokie wiggles his bottom.
Teba tells you 'let me do my job you volo twinker!'
Bobidibble GCC: 'yeah i admit gura is a better warrior then i am, no shame in it... perhaps someday i shall be as pimp'
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:44 am

hey al what you been up to? havent heard from ya in years.

drop me a private message on the boards here
"OMG, don't tell coras i'm not a girl irl - he'd prob kill himself" - Tesi Turtlehide
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:59 am

I love these spell ideas, cool to have things that are refreshing and different in a way without being silly or anything! rad!

Weapons one I think would be really cool if the weapon has fairly low hitdice, even if it had to have really low hitpoints. Maybe 1 hitpoint per level of the chanter or something? Love this spell idea.

Wingthingy I really like! Would be something to smooth out dragon fights a bit from all or none random type affair. Which I already think new dragon code does in a sense (withholding any bugs atm). I was thinking it would be really cool skill to giev to dire raiders, make it have a bit of lag, make it you have to use a net that costs about 100 p, and use it as a sort of ensnare skill like the orcs and stuff have on warcraft 3 :)

The spheres are so ridiculously cool and stylish sounding we can't afford to not have them.

The earthclaw idea i'm not sure about but still like a bit. You could just make a 3 round version of major para with a different message. Something fun to throw around in combat now and then, it isn't going to change the balance of anything. Could even be an ele spell too?
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:46 pm

You know... I wouldn't totally be against a spell that works against certain procs, like wing buffet. As a supporter of balanced bonuses, however, my suggestion would be more like a spell which will neutralize or downgrade specific procs while also working against the enchanter, as well. Make it a spell the enchanter has to maintain, so he can't cast any more spells while it's up, he has to stay in the room while it's maintained and can't leave the room without dropping it first, and once he casts it the dragon, as a highly intelligent being, has a chance of recognizing the caster as the source of his problem and targeting him with every other weapon in his arsenal.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
auslyx
Sojourner

Postby auslyx » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:56 pm

I like the wingbind idea a LOT. I'd rather see the spell just limit proc mobs accross the board. Also allowing mobs to cast upon players (controlling a proc mad khanjari :P) Just make the spell dull the innate ability of a mob somehow.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Re: New spell Ideas: this weeks special - the enchanter

Postby Llaaldara » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:20 pm

alvathair wrote:idea 1: Wingbind

9th or 10th circle quest
in casting this the chanter has a chance to bind the wings of a dragon currently being fought against, hence cutting out wing buffet, perhaps even cutting down the number of other procs for a round or 2 as the dragon readjusts... NOT automatically a success, but a chance to etc. in saying that it would have a short duration to prevent abuse. given the huge dillemas we have with dragons atm, its possible this might introduce a new element into the fights, ie. if it works, a great chance to win the fight, if it fails, a high chance we all die horribly to procs etc... again..

Interesting idea you have there that could definitely be expanded. It sounds like what you want is Proc Slow. I like the idea of 1 spell reducing 1 proc, instead of multiple ones, but let's keep talking. Quite possibly there could be multiple spells of this nature instead of just the one, and of different levels.

Like say, a 6th circle spell called Sticky Wings that slows wing buffet for a longer duration. In essence, wing buffet slow.

Then say your 10th circle version that works as you described (mainly shorter duration spell with greater effects), where it completely removes wing buffet, and a chance to slow some other random procs for the same duration that this spell completely removes the wing buffet. Once the spell ends, the dragon can buffet normally again (unless under the effects of a lesser spell mind you) and any procs that had been temporarily slowed, now also work normally (unless they are also under similar proc-slow lower circle spell effects).

Each type or dragon proc could have a specific lower and higher level version, as we just talked about with wing buffet. Tailsweep = Sticky Tail (6th) and Tailbind (10th).

Etc.

Now originally I was like.. "Why should enchanter get this? It should goto necro or lich, they are debuff classes", but then ya know what. What the hell, let an enchanter have em. If your chanter is gonna try and debuff while also doing normal enchanter spell-ups on group members, sounds like a lot of risk and a big area to allow some enchanter players to really shine. :)

Go for it!

alvathair wrote:idea 2: Animate Weapon

unsure on spell level..but at least 6th or above.. thinking along the lines of the BC dagger here, but say you're in a fight, and the chanter steps up, drops some weapons on the ground and then animates them so they attack independently... let's say even that the number of weapons to be animated at once would be level dependant...so at 50 u might be able to animate 3 or 4 weaps to attack a mob until they be smoten also.. dunno... i like the idea, but i can tell it needs alot of work..

In order to prevent twinkage, and the eventual posts by players wanting a way for their 'animated' weapons to be returned to them in the event of a crash, let's go with !magic weapons only. Anything flagged as magical won't work. That way, we keep any very powerful weapons from making the cut, and nip the foreseeable gripes in the butt before they even start. This way, an enchanter could even minor-create weapons and animate them. And also, since the weapons wouldn't be so great, you could also increase the number of them that an enchanter could animate. Probably lower the level of the spell in the process as well, and do the graudated power increase method. Nog. :)

alvathair wrote:idea 3: Spheres of Absorbtion

at present, the major of the enchanters spells are able to be cast on others. in fact thats pretty much what the class does... blur,stone,scale,globe,haste etc etc... u know the drill... i would argue that in all likelihood an enchanters most powerful enchantments would be reserved for himself, so i have this idea...

9th or 10th circle:

the caster brings into being between 1 and 3 spheres which circle his body... one possibility is that they would absorb magic only, ie. a certain number of spell levels is able to be absorbed by each sphere before they explode, wink out etc... so for example lets say...random chanter..ummm xaril is fighting kost with his zone group... some of kosts flunkie mages throw down the smack with umm.. say inferno... everyone else in the group goes thru the normal rigmorole of sp sv..evasion whatever and takes damage.... for the chanter however, his spheres as they each take damage glow brightly and dissappear after absorbing a certain amount of damage... and xaril takes none or only a partial amount if there is any excess...

the other possibility with this idea is that we lower the circle, and as the caster increases in levels, in casting the spell they bring in different types of absorption spheres. ie. casting it at 36 you have one sphere that absorbs.. say 200 hps of physical / melee damage. you hit 41 and the spell creates a second sphere on top of that which is able to absorb 200 hps of magical damage... the numbers don't matter..u get the idea... then at 46 you bring in a third sphere which is able to absorb another form of damage... eg. psionics, breath weaps?

I hear what you're saying and all, but I just can't see giving enchanters a 100% MR shield along with dragonscales/blur like that, even if the duration is limited via damage. It's just too powerful as you're suggesting, because it's like stone skin for spells. That is, once it taps out, blam, hit em with it again. Remember, you guys get time stop, and that wouldn't be an offensive spell. Now if it worked like elementalist embodiements, that is, can only have it on one person ever, and it has to be dispelled to be removed and re-freshed, and still has that fading out time it starts to sound more doable. Add in the restriction that whoever has this spell cast on them, can't move out of the room. So the tank would have to live long enough for this spell to land on them after being sent into a room, and any roar-like effects could still fubar up your plans.

Then it sounds doable.

Thanks for sharing your ideas btw. :)
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:12 am

I think the spheres of absorbtion spell swas desiged for self only Llaaldara. So wouldn't be able to twinkify on rogues/tanks and you couldnt use timestop, because if it dropped it means you are engaged in combat.

I think the animated weapons should crumble once used once. So you can't just always carry one or two weapons. It would be cool killing one frost giant and sending his axe back against the others!
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”