Critical spell damage?

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Lalsed
Sojourner

Critical spell damage?

Postby Lalsed » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:47 pm

Anyways, was just playing with someone new to the mud, and he noted how, at least at lower levels, critical hits help some. Now he's an invoker, and he said it'd be nice to have critical hits on spells. I agree, not sure about the implications though, I'm not much for that end of the argument, but I thought it a cool idea. Maybe just a little extra damage and things, dependent on intelligence, or maybe even power as to give it a use besides just for psi's

anyways, yeah, and stuff
Lalsed the Druid of Destruction...?
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:08 pm

Don't they turn that on during chaos?

I know it's not something that powerful, but it's more or less the same thing, right? Wouldn't be to hard to impliment. I remember shar petitioning me with some ungodly amount of damage when I cast abi dalzims on roots by jot when I got a crit spell off.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:21 pm

Arilin Nydelahar wrote:Don't they turn that on during chaos?

I know it's not something that powerful, but it's more or less the same thing, right? Wouldn't be to hard to impliment. I remember shar petitioning me with some ungodly amount of damage when I cast abi dalzims on roots by jot when I got a crit spell off.

Yep. If you remember that thread where I was asking for my invoker to be downgraded, this is one of the things I wanted in turn with the reducecd power, was a way to hit a random surge and jack it up every now and then. I tried finding the old thread, but I suck.
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:38 pm

Llaaldara wrote: but I suck.

Who am I to disagree? *duck* *halo* hey Llaald :p

Pril
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:40 pm

This has been brought up before. It is a great idea imho. For instance getting hit dead center by a chain lightning, the lightning would do more damage. Getting hit head on by a fireball would do more damage than one exploding near you. Having a meteor fall on your head would do more than falling on your toe, etc. The only thing i see working AGAINST this is the fact that we already have sv_sp working against spell damage and basically (if i am not mistaken) providing the reasoning for the above statements. I like the explanation of the hitting a pocket of magic, or correlating with something on the astral/ethereal/etc plane that happened to be passing by, somehow providing extra power to that particular casting of that spell. Not that casters, especially invokers, need more damage output, but it would add some variety and would also be a hinderance to player characters when mobs critted on their spells.

I think the melee balance project should be a higher priority than this at the current time, but definately something i would like to see introduced to toril.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:40 pm

Personally I'd rather not be on the other side of this, when a mob gets a critical spellcast and roasts your entire group with a cloud, or kills your 1300hp tank with 1 sandblast.
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:32 pm

rylan wrote:Personally I'd rather not be on the other side of this, when a mob gets a critical spellcast and roasts your entire group with a cloud, or kills your 1300hp tank with 1 sandblast.

So you'd rather everything be predictable? I agree with you to some extent, that a critical slandblast would suck. perhaps something can be done about the uber high area spells.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:15 pm

If you want to vary things up, can just increase the range of damage on some spells... for example sandblast seems to do from 400-700 if you make the save, while clouds always do around 250 with pff and save.

I'm not sure if doing something that could effectively increase player spell damage output is a good thing though, even if mobs get access to it also, since players cast many more spells.

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”