Remember

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Botef
Sojourner

Remember

Postby Botef » Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:24 pm

A feature on another mud that I found to be rather handy.

remember <mob name>

Mob would has a * next to its name for a limited time based on how skilled you were mentally (This was a classless mud with 4 skill areas, one of which was mental).

So,

A snake-like reptilian monster has made its home under the overhang.

would now look like

*A snake-like reptilian monster has made its home under the overhang.

for a period of time. Was especially important on that mud for remembering which of a number of similar looking mobs was the correct one. While it doesnt have a lot of uses here, it certainly could be another tool area writers could use to add some flavor.
Crumar
Sojourner

Postby Crumar » Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:15 pm

One use where remember should be used in is actually room based. Implement a greater teleport spell where by we can teleport to specific rooms after remembering details of that room. You would have a list of rooms with the room name you "remember" along with a corresponding number. But there is also a possibility of failing like how relocate is set up. So it would look something like this.

1. Great Market Square of Waterdeep
2. A path along the Basin Waste
3. The Turning point
4. The Road Crossing
5. Inside a Lava Tube
6. In The Forest of Grey Cloak
7. Along a Destroyed Path
(list can go on and on)

So if you want to go to GC you would type cast 'greater teleport 6' and you would either end up at that location or be teleported to another part of the world randomly. It would be based on how many times you have remembered the room and if you don't go to that location often enough over time you begin to forget (and start to fail more) as you try to go there. So first time I go to TP I type Remember room and it remembers it (a random % of the room is remembered you wont be able to see it). Each day I go to TP and type Remember the % goes up until you are sure you have remembered the room well. You would have to keep visiting the place and typing remember to not forget. But there will ALWAYS be base chances of failing regardless of how many times you try to remember the room. So a cap of 90% for instance would be fair. I have seen this feature on another mud and it worked great and wasn’t overly abused because failing was often fatal especially if you have a good chance of being teleported into the main fight of Beholders in Hulburg like the time someone plane shifted into there.
Click on the links below and vote for this mud!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topm ... gi?id=shev
The Mud Connector: http://www.mudconnect.com/cgi-bin/vote_ ... ner's+Home
MudMagic (aka Kyndig): http://www.mudmagic.com/listings/game/609
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:44 am

I'd never use it, just like I don't pshift prime with eq on.
emote Rescuepractice
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:12 am

The only NEGATIVE i see to the idea crumar expanded on is that it would further allow twinking of zones. Wouldn't need to gate up to brimir's anymore. Could just teleport there. There are plenty of examples i could use on prime, but in the interest of time, i'll leave that alone. Even !teleport rooms aren't common enough to keep this tool from further making things even easier.
Crumar
Sojourner

Postby Crumar » Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:29 pm

I just meant outside of zones in prime. Outer planer travel does not use teleport but gates. Like for example you could remember the room at the standing stone (a landmark well known in DnD and on the mud) but not be able to remember the room north of it for example. Places you generally walk everyday and would have a feeling for. Like I can still remember walking to school when I was a kid the exact area pictured in my mind. But I wouldn't go out of my way to remember a certain place I went on a school trip unless I knew I would be going there all the time. You would be constantly looking over your shoulders in MD for example to sit out in the open and study a room for a good length of time so it wouldn't happen. Details would get fuzzy and a greater chance to fail.

Anyway mages in DnD never would remember rooms inside some hostile environment they would usually play it safe and teleport to places they knew they were not going to get jumped the second they arrived. Also they knew there was a chance they could end up under ground in solid rock or 200 ft in the air so they took their time to study every detail. This would be a good way to use a remember command is all I was trying to say.
Click on the links below and vote for this mud!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topm ... gi?id=shev

The Mud Connector: http://www.mudconnect.com/cgi-bin/vote_ ... ner's+Home

MudMagic (aka Kyndig): http://www.mudmagic.com/listings/game/609
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:10 pm

how about we just imp a gate systems in the home towns for a 100 p fee.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:34 pm

kiryan wrote:how about we just imp a gate systems in the home towns for a 100 p fee.

Wouldn't that basically make all the new Homeland zones that are going in to make the world more geographically correct.. I dunno... pointless?
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:26 pm

shrug, it would create another plat sink.

it would make more areas of the mud more accessible to people.

we've talked about getting people to explore. i'd be willing to bet that if you imp a transporter system the # of places the average person can walk to different will increase by 100% in 3 months. The reason why is that it won't be walking 300 rooms and resting up 150 moves, it'll be paying 100 p and walking 100 rooms. It'll give people new "bases" to explore outwards from.

How many people have explored menzo? How many would explore menzo if there was a teleporter to it. (please note, I am not suggesting every city have a 2 way teleporter and not suggesting menzo have any 2way teleporters, only where it makes sense like from waterdeep to bg for sure perhaps bg to zk)
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:49 pm

"Lieutenant Worf, 5 to beam to Zhentil Keep."

"Aye aye, sir."

Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:44 pm

I think Kiryan's idea has much merit. WD and other towns have the magician that casts fly, etc on players for a fee. Rather than the label 'teleporter', just have a NPC druid well to another NPC of a different town for said fee.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:57 pm

Or caravans (i.e. land ships) that you can ride along with...that'd be a lot more theme-ish.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:00 pm

kiryan wrote:shrug, it would create another plat sink.

it would make more areas of the mud more accessible to people.

we've talked about getting people to explore. i'd be willing to bet that if you imp a transporter system the # of places the average person can walk to different will increase by 100% in 3 months. The reason why is that it won't be walking 300 rooms and resting up 150 moves, it'll be paying 100 p and walking 100 rooms. It'll give people new "bases" to explore outwards from.

How many people have explored menzo? How many would explore menzo if there was a teleporter to it. (please note, I am not suggesting every city have a 2 way teleporter and not suggesting menzo have any 2way teleporters, only where it makes sense like from waterdeep to bg for sure perhaps bg to zk)

Hrmm.. you do have a point.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:49 pm

Thilindel wrote:I think Kiryan's idea has much merit. WD and other towns have the magician that casts fly, etc on players for a fee. Rather than the label 'teleporter', just have a NPC druid well to another NPC of a different town for said fee.

i'd prefer to see mages operating some sort of magical teleporting device... druids whoring themself out to well people for money all day long doesn't seem quite right. also wouldnt probably work so well for some locations (like any evil race towns). i suppose a combination of the two would be fine.

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”