Idea for Helpers

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Vigis
Sojourner

Idea for Helpers

Postby Vigis » Wed May 25, 2005 7:48 pm

Think it would be possible for helpers to get a toggleable (or not toggleable) message for when a new player is rolled and enters the game?

Example: Newb Lvl 1 Human Warrior has entered the ranks of Toril.

t newb OMFG! Roll a different race! Oh, and Welcome to Toril!

**Note the above tell was intended as a joke. . .no offense to the Human Warriors out there :)
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Wed May 25, 2005 10:37 pm

Oops, how bout giving the noob an option to mass tell any (H) Welcome to Toril! Would you like to tell our new helpers hello, so you may receive assistance? Y/N
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Wed May 25, 2005 11:01 pm

Oo! Like that idea! That way noone gets spammed if its just me rolling,, yet another,, alt.

*grin*

Lil
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Thu May 26, 2005 7:55 am

Thilindel wrote:Oops, how bout giving the noob an option to mass tell any (H) Welcome to Toril! Would you like to tell our new helpers hello, so you may receive assistance? Y/N

That's actually a pretty good idea Thilendel. . .the only thing I wonder is how do they catch it in all the spam? When you roll a new char, you get about a page and a half of "helpful" spam. If it could wait for about 3 minutes it would work I suppose (unless you have a slow reader).

As a helper and a fairly outspoken advocate for newbie retention, I don't think I would mind the spam. (Hell, I get more of it from vokers praying that they don't fry each other).

You do have a nice idea though for them deciding if they want to tell the helpers hello, but I think I would rather that be during the character generation phase if it were to be implemented, and if they decide N, they have the option of changing their minds.

I won't go into my personal experiences too much, but when the mud shut down years ago, I tried to find a new home (this was before exile was a thought. . .I went there when I heard of it). My major turnoff for several of them was that imms were transporting down and holding my hand...as an experienced mudder I was insulted. On the flip side, I went to Duris for awhile and couldn't get a player to talk to me.. . .

I think we need to strike a balance with Toril. I've seen new players who are amazed by the mud and think they want to learn it all, and I've seen players who are intimidated and are afraid to learn it. In the end, it comes down to the same thing. . .they quit playing here.

We are getting new players, but we're not keeping them. The question to ask is not "How do we GET new players?" it is "How do we KEEP new players?"

I think that giving the helpers a chance to see when a new player logs on might help.

I'd like to hear more helpers opinions as well as imms if they happen to have a few minutes between settling player squabbles, implementing new zones, working on new code etc....

We have more Imms dedicated to making the game better than ever, is it too much to ask the players to do the same?
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Thu May 26, 2005 11:05 am

Thilindel wrote:Oops, how bout giving the noob an option to mass tell any (H) Welcome to Toril! Would you like to tell our new helpers hello, so you may receive assistance? Y/N

I like this idea.
As Vigis says, it could get kinda lost in the large qty of stuff to read as new player, but this could be worked around somehow.
BEER
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Thu May 26, 2005 1:40 pm

Not bad ideas at all.
Talona
Staff Member - Admin

Postby Talona » Thu May 26, 2005 7:15 pm

Valid concerns all of you. Until something has been decided to be hard coded into the game (not to say that it will be), I'll try to do a better job of announcing and welcoming new players on the NHC channel. You as players please feel free to follow suit if you see someone new as well.

-Talona
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Thu May 26, 2005 8:24 pm

An announcer over NHC would be a very handy thing...Two thumbs up.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Fri May 27, 2005 5:03 am

. . . "And please welcome our newest special guest! He comes in from parts unknown, weighing in at an astounding 54 lb, and that's just the beard! Ladies and gentlemen, I bring to you 'Asundar, the dwarf' into the Toril realms'! (then the bell rings, tiamat leaves her corner and eats us all *sigh* )

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”