Overpowered?

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.

Which class do you think is most overpowered?

Warrior
No votes
Ranger
11%
Paladin
2%
Anti-Paladin
No votes
Dire Raider
2%
Rogue
36%
Bard/Battlechanter
3%
Cleric
2%
Shaman
No votes
Druid
2%
Enchanter
No votes
Illusionist
5%
Invoker
8%
Necromancer
No votes
Lich
2%
Psionicist
2%
Elementalist
22%
None
6%
All
No votes

Total votes: 64
Birile
Sojourner

Overpowered?

Postby Birile » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:16 pm

Out of curiosity's and boredom's sake, I was wondering which class on the mud do you think is most overpowered? If you think there is more than one, choose the one you think is more overpowered than the rest. Give an explanation of why you think the class you chose is overpowered (ie. skills, spells, etc.) for discussions' sake!
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:13 pm

Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:38 pm

Ragorn wrote:http://www.torilmud.dyndns.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13032&highlight=

Interesting discussion, that. Thanks, Rag. :)

Is the general consensus the same, given the changes to many classes in the past year and a half?
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:37 am

Bwhahaha some people voted for ranger. :P
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:01 am

I think you're unlikely to get an accurate poll, as some people will... ahem, vote for ranger... as an attempt to be funny/flippant.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Nurpy Fuzzyfeet
Sojourner

Postby Nurpy Fuzzyfeet » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:23 am

derrrrrr

elementalist hands down
Aristan group-says 'nurpy=tripod'

Shevarash GCC: 'Tiamat stands here, fighting Nurpy.'
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:34 am

I voted ele however I wouldn't say hands down, rogue is a strong candidate.
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:50 am

rogue with the right eq/weapons

ele elsewise
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:58 am

8)

I voted for ranger. They will continue to be overpowered until they lose their ability to post whiny messages on the boards.
Nurpy Fuzzyfeet
Sojourner

Postby Nurpy Fuzzyfeet » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:03 pm

kiryan wrote:I voted ele however I wouldn't say hands down, rogue is a strong candidate.

rogue for being able to be so useful for several different things, ele's for being the best soloists.

Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:20 pm

I chose Druid but there are a lot of other classes that I also think are either overpowered or exceedingly well-balanced (how's that for a euphemism? :) ), including Elementalist, Rogue, Necromancer, Lich, Illusionist and Enchanter (yes, Enchanter).

Just about all of the above-mentioned classes can solo many things pretty well, in my humble and honest opinion. I love soloing things, but I suppose on a MUD that's touted as a grouping MUD that could be viewed as a bad thing.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:42 pm

I voted Elementalist. Rogues are powerful, yes, especially to a group, but there's no way we can even come close to the soloing power of a casting class with pets, healing, buffs and gate.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:09 pm

Ashiwi wrote:I voted Elementalist. Rogues are powerful, yes, especially to a group, but there's no way we can even come close to the soloing power of a casting class with pets, healing, buffs and gate.

Ele/Rogue combo is pretty nasty. :twisted: Musp hunting, anyone?

I know a few players play both druid and elementalist (hi, Lili and Sotana!). I'm curious to find out which of these two these players think is the better solo class? Both have pets, healing, buffs and transport spells. :)

I ask because I play elementalist so I am willing to admit that I may be biased in my opinion when choosing druid as more overpowered than elementalist. Someone who plays both may have a less potentially-biased opinion.
Nurpy Fuzzyfeet
Sojourner

Postby Nurpy Fuzzyfeet » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:19 pm

Birile wrote:
Ashiwi wrote:I voted Elementalist. Rogues are powerful, yes, especially to a group, but there's no way we can even come close to the soloing power of a casting class with pets, healing, buffs and gate.

Ele/Rogue combo is pretty nasty. :twisted: Musp hunting, anyone?

I know a few players play both druid and elementalist (hi, Lili and Sotana!). I'm curious to find out which of these two these players think is the better solo class? Both have pets, healing, buffs and transport spells. :)

I ask because I play elementalist so I am willing to admit that I may be biased in my opinion when choosing druid as more overpowered than elementalist. Someone who plays both may have a less potentially-biased opinion.

uh thats kinda obvious. a druid doesnt haev stone, therefore not near the soloing capabilities of an elementalist.

Verarb
Sojourner

Postby Verarb » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:55 pm

You can' t really say druids have the same class of pets either, treants are not nearly as easy to come by.
selerial
Sojourner

Postby selerial » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:05 pm

Nurpy Fuzzyfeet wrote:
uh thats kinda obvious. a druid doesnt haev stone, therefore not near the soloing capabilities of an elementalist.

Oh yeah, stone skin is overpowered alright... ;+P
http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14549

It's also "kind of obvious" that druids have draggable spells, real honest heals, rock to mud, pass without trace... I could go on, but I personally think both classes have the tools to work with, it's really a question of the person behind the keys using them.

Edit: Also, I happen to think that illusionists are stronger offensively and defensively than ellies, the only reason they're not a viable self-contained soloist is the lack of a healing effect. Same with chanters. Super defense (and offense) only matters in zones in this game. From a soloing standpoint, it's generally better to be able to cripple your opponents enough that you can take them out at leisure.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:42 pm

rogues not because of khanjari but because they can walk through a zone like a god looking for things or to be folded too.

sneak + hide means zones can be learned much faster and much easier and usually done much easier with fold or tagging.
Nurpy Fuzzyfeet
Sojourner

Postby Nurpy Fuzzyfeet » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:18 am

selerial wrote:
Nurpy Fuzzyfeet wrote:

Oh yeah, stone skin is overpowered alright... ;+P
http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14549

It's also "kind of obvious" that druids have draggable spells, real honest heals, rock to mud, pass without trace... I could go on, but I personally think both classes have the tools to work with, it's really a question of the person behind the keys using them.

Edit: Also, I happen to think that illusionists are stronger offensively and defensively than ellies, the only reason they're not a viable self-contained soloist is the lack of a healing effect. Same with chanters. Super defense (and offense) only matters in zones in this game. From a soloing standpoint, it's generally better to be able to cripple your opponents enough that you can take them out at leisure.

I never said stone was overpowered....but it sure as hell helps.

Elementalists have pwb, badass pets, embodies, stone skin, ice tongue, sleep, ray....the list goes on.

auslyx
Sojourner

Postby auslyx » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:49 am

I wanna know who the hell voted a cleric!
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:19 am

Hey, with enough time, a cleric can solo almost anything... except another cleric. key words being "enough time"
Nurpy Fuzzyfeet
Sojourner

Postby Nurpy Fuzzyfeet » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:33 am

Delmair Aamoren wrote:Hey, with enough time, a cleric can solo almost anything... except another cleric. key words being "enough time"

not enough time between boots.

Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:47 pm

Nurpy Fuzzyfeet wrote:
Delmair Aamoren wrote:Hey, with enough time, a cleric can solo almost anything... except another cleric. key words being "enough time"

not enough time between boots.

:lol:
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:55 pm

Nurpy Fuzzyfeet wrote:Elementalists have pwb, badass pets, embodies, stone skin, ice tongue, sleep, ray....the list goes on.

That's just it, though--both classes have a LOT of utility.

Druids have the upper hand in offensive capabilities.

Elementalists rule in the blinding department with PWB, though both classes have an area blind spell (each of which is better than the other in different circumstances).

Elementalists have better pets.

Elementalists have stoneskin.

Druids have barkskin.

Elementalists have gate/relocate, druids have moonwell.

Druids have word of recall.

Druids have heal/vit.

Elementalists have embodiments.

Elementalists have ward.

Druids have changeform (the sheer awesomeness of which still amazes me and I drool!)

Both classes have silence capabilities.

Someone mentioned that it depends on who's behind the keys, and I agree. I'm still curious what those who play both classes a lot think on the subject.

___

The poll as a whole is interesting. It's played out pretty much as I thought it would, with elementalist and rogue at the top (still surprised druid isn't up there, too). The only choices I would argue with is ranger (haha), dire raider (though I don't know enough about the class) and cleric. But that's my own opinion. :)
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:39 am

umm a !bash cleric maybe, but if your bashable the range of things you can solo effectively becomes much much smaller.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:47 pm

kiryan wrote:umm a !bash cleric maybe, but if your bashable the range of things you can solo effectively becomes much much smaller.

Exactly my point. I just don't see clerics as overpowered, certainly not in the arena of soloing (which seems to be the gauge for most people so far). So I would argue with that vote. :)
Naled
Sojourner

Postby Naled » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:10 pm

I fail to see why elementalists (or druids) are overpowered. Sure they can solo well, but to balance it out they are hardly useful for zoning. If ele's are overpowered than so are enchanters and clerics. No zones are ever done without one.

All these classes are not overpowered but well balanced. If there are overpowered classes then I'd consider rogues or shamans. Shamans can solo well AND are needed for most zones. Rogues may not be able to solo well, but with all their skills they can get eq easier then any class in the game. To illustrate this, a while ago we went in with a full group to do Jot and Muspel invasion only to find out that a certain skillfull rogue had done all the eq. Rogue> Full group. I rest my case.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:16 pm

Shaman stones suck so bad, even a Hoover would be jealous. 6th circle for shamans is a nightmare, so you're forced to choose what spells you're willing to keep for a particular situation (heal/stone/hex/ray/dispel magic). They're well-rounded, and if anything could use a slight boost to gheal to compromise for chain-reaction dragon procs and making spirit walk work with planar targets, in my opinion.

Sure, they can solo things, but their offense is very limited. Any shaman casting nukes in a zone is 1. well-covered by clerics, 2. not in a major caster fight (very little gheal/silencing), or 3. bored, or thinks ancestral fury actually does significant damage. :P

I voted illusionist simply because of their vast array of skills and extreme power in so many areas. Rogues come in a close second, but their only real problem lies with hide/sneak, and khanjari vit proc.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Lahgen
Sojourner

Postby Lahgen » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:19 am

Make all classes useless and boring. That way, nobody can do anything cool or useful, thus no more worries about being 'overpowered.'
Kesena OOC: 'i wish my daddy bought me power tools'
Dorgh group-says 'damn, even with Cofen helping Mori, they STILL can't kill someone
Hekanut says 'I know level doesn't matter much, but most won't take seriously if a level 2 claims to be the best thing before, during, and after sliced bread.'

Rather than seeing "subpar race/class," see "challenge."
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:12 am

I voted rogue. The hide/sneak combo has been the most radical change to this game since I started playing. Not sure whether or not it was for the best.

Corth
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:50 am

Everyone will vote ranger in all seriousness and then those cunning rangers will make out it is a joke and get even more power! damn rangers
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:49 am

one of the few things that keep shaman balanced is spell distribution in 6th circle.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:04 am

Yeah, because shaman stones rock so hard. :P

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:35 pm

Yasden wrote:Shaman stones suck so bad, even a Hoover would be jealous.

Wouldn't Hoover be jealous if it sucked good? Why would Hoover be envious of an inferior product? Hoover is jealous because you can suck the chrome off my boat hitch.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:13 pm

Yasden wrote:Yeah, because shaman stones rock so hard. :P

*shrug* They're better than a battlechanter's... theirs aren't even nofail! :twisted:
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:18 pm

The rate they last, they might as well be. :P

moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:47 am

Birile wrote:Druids have the upper hand in offensive capabilities.

I still refuse to believe this, personally, but that's quite likely a question of nature vs. nonnature and wraithform vs. nonwraithform.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:07 pm

omfg downgrade rangers
Abbayarra
Sojourner

awareness and concentration

Postby Abbayarra » Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:49 pm

These 2 skills are great for allowing balance
Awareness should be given to everyone and allowed to reach different levels based on class. This would allow you or the mob or player to get a counter check when a circle or backstab or sneak or hide is in the room. This would allow for a balance on the power of rogues without hamstringing them.
Concentration would allow for a new skill or two to be allowed for warriors. The reason for this is because bash would not become automatic for a very skilled mob. By downgrading this skill(bash) we could add another skill that does not lag warriors a high level.
Torir
Sojourner

Postby Torir » Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:18 pm

I was gonna vote... but then I couldn't find the 'Grey-Elf' choice...

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”