Swallow This!

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Waelos
Sojourner

Swallow This!

Postby Waelos » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:26 pm

Hah! So clever ;)

Anyway!

I've been hearing tell of the insane new "swallowing procedures" of rhemoraz and the like. Without question, any ability that instantly kills a player is bordering on overpowered. Especially if there is no limit to the creatures that can be swallowed.

So, I propose a compromise. [3 possible levels of complexity]

1) Change all swallowing mobs to behave like the Tarrasque. Swallowed players get transported to the "stomach" room instead of dying. If the unswallowed players can kill the beast before they succumb to digestion, they live!

2) Change all swallowing mobs to behave like the Tarrasque. Swallowed players get transported to the "stomach" room instead of dying. For creatures such as the remorhaz, there is a limit on how many creatures it can swallow at a time. 0 ogres / 1 human/barb/elf/troll/half-elf/squid/drow/yaun/orc or 2 gnome/dwarf/halfling/deurgar. Once the stomach is empty due to digestion, the creature is free to feast again!

3) Do as above, but allow more complex calculations based on size so that enlarge and reduce can be a factor.

----
Tack-on ideas:

1) Allow swallowed players to attack a shielded "mob" called stomach lining (or something) that if they manage to kill it, they crawl through a hole and back out to "safety". Only one person per dead lining!

2) Allow for certain spells, when cast inside, to cause the creature to vomit up its stomach contents. (Suffer damage on the way out!)

3) - Your idea here!

----

I think that those ideas allow for swallowing to remain a dangerous ability for monsters without overbalancing with instant death. It adds new challenges and certainly more fun. Just imagine the hilarity of picking through some rhemoraz poo to find enough of your friend to resurrect! hah!!

Enjoy, or not.

The Lost
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:02 pm

There are aspects of this that make great sense. Super-models already practice a self-induced form of "Bigby's" for dietary purposes. I've experienced heartburn before that made me nauseous to the point of emesis, so I don't see why fire spells wouldn't work, too... even if they would backlash on everybody inside the stomach. A healthy volley of "poison" should do the trick, as well.

The question is, how would a PC have enough room to do all the hand-waving that goes along with the casting? Wouldn't the stomach lining conform to the shape of the objects inside it, to a point? Would melee be more useful in such tight confines, since you could just wiggle your pointy thing around a bit to wear at whatever stomach lining area is close?

Could this be a potential use for the "unbind" skill?

Should a remorhaz have to roll a "hairball" sv?
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:35 pm

Logistically, we can't have all swallow proc mobs behave like the tarrasque. Trust me, I thought about it and it just wasn't feasible.

As for the other aspects, you may find that some of these things are already considered with how the Rhemoraz swallow works. There just haven't been that many guinea adventurers to explore and experiment on them so far.

There's a lot more to it than a 'swallow and die'.
Eilistraee
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:21 am

I seem to remember there being something wrong when we did IC2 last in regards to (I think) it not showing save messages when you avoided being swallowed...My memory is fuzzy though...Was this ever a problem and if so has it since been corrected?
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:33 pm

Yes, originally the message for when you resist the swallow wasn't getting shown. That got corrected awhile back :)
Eilistraee
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:43 pm

nice! i will attempted it this week. good bye warriors :)

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantIT ... ipt?SK=192
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:51 am

I think making the rhemos in vault have insta kill, even if they already had it and were just too small, was crazy. It was a staple mid level learn to lead zone, and now 2 fights in it have become hard, making it near undoable by a new leader with only a few followers.

I love wey's idea #2.

It could be done with DGscripts in about 5 minutes of area writers time.... Touch... ooooh plz.......
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”