On warriors

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.

Who thinks warriors should get something new

Poll ended at Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:31 pm

yes
65%
no
35%

Total votes: 46
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:51 am

Vigis,

Show me a thread with player support that calls for the upgrade of elementalist, invokers, or enchanters... Most of the race/classes upgrade threads are filled with people opposed to the specified upgrade. The rare exception is Ranger who suffers from doing a little more than rogue damage while the rogue has 5x usefulness.

Nokar, warriors are consistent tanks. paladins or antis are never going to become preferred over warriors in general unless remount in combat is implemented. There may be specific zones or fights where mounted tanks are situationally better, but warriors are staple.

BTW, the old help files used to state that Paladins were the best rescuers in the game. I don't know if this was ever true until today, but the view of paladins as superior rescuers is at least 10 years old.

Guard is a great supplemental skill, but certainly doesn't make rescue obsolete. Guard can definitely do things that rescue can't however you need to remember that it is a new skill and assuredly will be re-evaluated if it ever becomes a dominanting factor. Rescue is still the staple.

Personally, i think the biggest slap in the face to warriors is how the hp advantage has been eroded seriously over time by bigger +hp eq. As the percentage of hps you acquire from gear goes up, the biggest drawback paladin/anti used to have diminishes. Does the hp difference really matter between 1200 vs 1000? Back when it was 900 vs 700 it mattered a lot more. Warriors position as dominant tank is being eroded much less by the "guard" skill as it is by the increase in pal/anti hps through equipment.

The thing about all these upgrade warrior threads is that they make no sense. The first words out of their mouths are "boring" followed by upgrade their melee damage give them a new offensive skill... wtf does that accomplish? In today's game warriors are tanks. Folks might want them to be more than tanks, but the class emphasis is clearly on tanking. If warriors are getting less group invites, its not because their damage output is lacking but because there are better options for tanks. Warriors need to be careful what they ask for in fear they get it and lose their real dominance and purpose for existance.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:09 am

On a side note, I really don't like the idea of making scales not work on warriors. Another defense spell that only works on casters is pretty much what I'm 100% against. Making it not work on casters would make more sense to me from a stylistic and gameplay observation.
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:03 am

I this thread was about being on warriors.

I'm slightly disappointed.
Nokar
Sojourner

Postby Nokar » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:00 pm

Just curious,
I wonder why no imms have responded to this thread.
The polls and most opinions mentioned on this topic are in favor of doing something to the warrior class.

again I am just curious.

L8r,
Rhoquinn group says 'Nok no wandering!'
You group say 'Is there any aggro's here?'
You flee westward!
You group say 'ummm guys?'
Rhoquinn group says 'Dammit Nok'
Welcome to toril
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:28 pm

Ive been playing warriors here since the early days of sojourn one..
currently I have a lvl 50 troll warrior, Grorrak Krak Smakk.

Trolls can solo pretty well, I find all other races are dependent on healers if they want to do anything at an effective rate.

I think warrior damage is far too dependant on eq and even then, it really ought to be upped a tad.

High level mobs hit warriors all too easily without spells, completely disregarding defensive skills. Tho i really do like most of the defensive skill changes that went in recently. But in one on one fights, warriors should do a bit better than they currently do at high lvls, especially against casters that arent multiclassed.

I dont understand why KO was taken out...it was low chance and the risk certaintly offset any unbalances in twink situations. certaintly it could have remained, with twinks going in to ward off any unbalance we players werent aware of. ie high lvl mobs etc..

Warriors could certaintly use and should definitely get a couple of new skills, things which could aid them while soloing especially. Bash and rescue will always be the staple of a zone group...but warriors arent always in zone groups. Just having new lag skills doesnt mean they will use them in zones guys.

And for the record, making it so warriors couldnt be scaled is a really, really bad idea. I wont bother mentioning the obvious reasons..You would be better off just getting rid of dragonscales. Which I am also against, heh, being an enchanter is my main.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:26 pm

probably because the problems facing warriors are minor and debatable while larger problems facing the whole mud are much more important.

---

why would it be a bad idea to get rid of dragonscales and upgrade tank defensive skills to compensate? casters are nearly as good of tanks as warriors are with scale and blur and that is just not right.
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:40 am

daggaz wrote:I dont understand why KO was taken out...it was low chance and the risk certaintly offset any unbalances in twink situations. certaintly it could have remained, with twinks going in to ward off any unbalance we players werent aware of. ie high lvl mobs etc..

Oh and don't forget the hilarity of the TANK getting KOd in midfight.

*Pretty memories of Fen, Vigis, & Nokar laying in the middle of the floor while we're flipping out and trying to tank til they recovered...*

So miss that. The entertainment value sooooooo offset the dying.

Lil
Stamm
Sojourner

Postby Stamm » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:10 pm

The warrior class as it stans just now works.

The mud needs a front line damage absorbing, protecting class.

That's what warriors do.

In order for groups to be more complex, and more of a team effort then group members need something to do.

Hence enchanters work in tandem with the warrior.

Enchanter on his own can't live, and the warrior on his own can't live.

The system as it stands does work.

However, as a warrior I've long felt little more than a target for spells. Our tanking skills seem to matter little. Any combat we do is almost insignificant, and it seems that many other classes can outlive us in a straight up how many hits can you take contest. Which isn't right.

In a full zone group we are masters of our niche, but not by our own efforts.

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”