9th circle Enchanter spell

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.

Dancing Shield Spell Viable?

Yes
32%
No
59%
Isn't necessary but shouldn't hurt the balance if put in
9%

Total votes: 22
Pisalos
Sojourner

9th circle Enchanter spell

Postby Pisalos » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:21 pm

No idea if this is a real spell or not but:

"DANCING SHIELD"
Spell.

Area of effect: <victim>
Aggressive: No
Cumulative: No
Duration: Dependant on proficiency of caster
Class/Circle: Enchanter 9th
Type of spell: Enchantment

This spell creates a dancing, magical shield to block melee attacks around the victim, making a small chance to shieldblock. While this skill is not nearly as strong as the warrior's shieldblock skill, it is still certainly better than the alternative.

I took my time to not mispell things I hope but I would like to see at level 50 enchanter have like a 5% chance to shieldblock whoever he casts this upon? Anybody like?
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:48 am

IMO not really needed. I think dragonscales is plenty efficent as is, and stoneskin works well enough untill scales is quested.
Waelos
Sojourner

Postby Waelos » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:41 am

I like this, if it can be cast on warriors only.

Why?

So they can 2h if they want and not get hosed too hard =)

Lost
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:59 am

oh oh oh...
when do we get a dancing shield proc like the stupid dagger so warriors can go 2hand in fight?
emote Rescuepractice
Vandic
Sojourner

Postby Vandic » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:49 am

Wouldn't it just be easier to:

- give warriors improved parry while 2h,
- remove (or lessen) the bashin penalty, and
- add a 'pommel strike' skill that works like shieldpunch?
Vandic wields a massive mithril axe of gazebo chopping.
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:46 pm

No Vandic, the point is to overwork chanters more. Stay on topic please, clearly: Blur, Globe, Haste. Scales, Reduce/Enlarge aren't enough to keep normal chanters occupied :p

Pril

But personaly on the idea eh as i said above i think chanters have enough to do and i think the game already relies too much on spell defense vs. regular defense.

Pril
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:55 pm

What would be the point of the spell? Just another defensive spell for a class that already has quite a few defensive spells and notoriously long spellup requirements?

That question needs to be asnwered before you even consider that We need LESS emphasis on defensive spells and MORE emphasis on defensive skills. While a 5% shieldblock really doesn't affect balance, it would be another push in the opposite direction that we should be going.

... as an idea I'm sure its quite creative... I just don't think that we want to add to the fort knox defense that is displace/blur/dscales.
Pisalos
Sojourner

Postby Pisalos » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:25 pm

Pril wrote:No Vandic, the point is to overwork chanters more. Stay on topic please, clearly: Blur, Globe, Haste. Scales, Reduce/Enlarge aren't enough to keep normal chanters occupied :p

Pril

But personaly on the idea eh as i said above i think chanters have enough to do and i think the game already relies too much on spell defense vs. regular defense.

Pril

Hey, this should be a illusionist spell actually. right?
Vandic
Sojourner

Postby Vandic » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:27 pm

Pril wrote:No Vandic, the point is to overwork chanters more. Stay on topic please, clearly: Blur, Globe, Haste. Scales, Reduce/Enlarge aren't enough to keep normal chanters occupied :p

Pril

Oh silly me, that's right. A warrior ought to get his ass handed to him without 8 defensive spells on.

Seriously, the art of warriors using 2h weapons is damn near dead. Pallies/antis are the only ones who 2h with any regularity and two of the higher end 2h weapons out there are !paladin.
Vandic wields a massive mithril axe of gazebo chopping.
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:36 pm

Pisalos wrote:

Pril

Pril

Hey, this should be a illusionist spell actually. right?

Oh god the only way i'd even see it being an illusionist spell is if it was Warrior only spell or something. Between Mirror images and displace illusionists are already almost untoucahble when they solo. But yeah if it was warrior only i'd say Ill's could have it. Or again if it was warriors only you could give it to elementalists make it shields of air or something. Heck if you wanted to you could justify it for a bunch of classes. Could have shaman make a spirit shield Etc etc, but in all these cases make it tank only.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:19 pm

Vandic wrote:

Pril

Oh silly me, that's right. A warrior ought to get his ass handed to him without 8 defensive spells on.

Downgrade Vandic's Defensive skill please. :lol:
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:22 pm

Pisalos,

Very creative idea, but as Kiryan stated, many, if not most of us would like to see a shift away from a complete reliance on defensive spells and more of a reliance on defensive skills. And, as Pril said, enchanters are already overworked (you forgot about fly, Pril :lol: ) and an illusionist is very hard to touch already.

Not a bad idea, just not the sort of direction a lot of us would like to go with upgrades to a class.
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:45 pm

Agree Birile. On a side note can gods perm silence Birile in game? His singing sucks it sounds like an off tune horse on cocaine or something :p

Pril *duck*
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:31 pm

Pril wrote:Agree Birile. On a side note can gods perm silence Birile in game? His singing sucks it sounds like an off tune horse on cocaine or something :p

Pril *duck*

Is that how you seduce your horse, by giving the poor thing cocaine?

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”