Stepping away from the cookie-cutter

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Stepping away from the cookie-cutter

Postby Thilindel » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:37 am

Except for eq, all character classes end up the same. Back in Sojourn1, I remember gaining so many practices per level relative to wisdom. How about, to a lesser extent, there was that option here. Maybe a cleric would opt to be a battle-cleric so could open up and practice offense (since they don't receive offense, yet clerics should be modest hitters) and have a higher base defense than the standard cleric. Or, perhaps a cleric could just chose to have higher specialize healing yet even. This could work for any class. Bards could choose to have higher than 50 for 1h bludgeon, if they wield a staff, etc. The thing I liked about Sojourn1 was that it was similar to what we know of Diablo II and other games. You could control the path of your character. Sticking with Diablo II, you could have a melee sorc, a meteorb sorc, etc. It certainly offers more avenue of RP and I imagine it'd be fun.

So clerics could choose offense/defense to be hightened but in doing this would make the cap for healing drop somewhat.

Battlemages could gain higher caps, say 60, on piercing/bludgeon with a higher cap on dodge...Warriors could specialize in shieldpunching, rescuing, dual wielding, etc.

Just an idea to expand on what clearly seems a one mold fits all class. Since we can't multi-class here, this would be pretty damned fun.

Writers would make a list of an opposite school to the skill chosen? This would make a mage who wanted to hit better take points off his spellcasts abilities slightly to gain the hitting aspect, for example. I would assume the opposite of any melee ability would be foregoing spellcasting and so forth..

**had to add that cleric's get offense, just not defense. Forgot cuz the helpfiles are wrong.
Last edited by Thilindel on Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lahgen
Sojourner

Postby Lahgen » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:46 am

Great idea.

I have another.

Why don't we put in the Priest of Discord from Everquest?

Why don't we put in our own version of Blood Elves, from World of Warcraft?

Why don't we implement Materia from Final Fantasy 7? Or Keyblades? Or Moogles? :p
Kesena OOC: 'i wish my daddy bought me power tools'
Dorgh group-says 'damn, even with Cofen helping Mori, they STILL can't kill someone
Hekanut says 'I know level doesn't matter much, but most won't take seriously if a level 2 claims to be the best thing before, during, and after sliced bread.'

Rather than seeing "subpar race/class," see "challenge."
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:51 am

I am not saying make the game like a pc game of the past. I am saying make the game, itself, a bit more as it used to be from Sojourn1, which gives flexability.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:56 am

Clerics with spec enchant rocked

as did sorcerers with spec fire!
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:32 am

Lahgen wrote:Great idea.

I have another.

Why don't we implement Materia from Final Fantasy 7? Or Keyblades? Or Moogles? :p

way to be a retard
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:18 pm

What you are describing are Kits like we had on homeland. Search the bbs for kits it's been brought up before, doubt it will ever happen.
Talona responds to your petition with 'Sweet, I fixed something!'
Talona LFG: [55 Evil Human Nec] 'Don't make me mud castrate you all.'
Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:12 pm

Only problem with this suggestion.. people would still slide into the version that is most readily accepted by zone groups.

I noticed it with the old sorc class.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:41 pm

:o

Dalar posted words as opposed to some annoying picture!
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:03 pm

*Shhhh!!!! Lilira wants you to be quiet!!!!*

Don't give him any ideas...
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:34 am

I think it might actually be a pretty valid idea.

It would allow people to customize their character to what they feel their character really should be.

Sure, it is like Homeland's kits, but I think it would eventually cause leaders to look for specific types of players in order to do a zone effeciently.

Instead of "Crap, we need a warrior, anybody know if someone is on as an alt?" You might get: "Crap, we need a warrior that can land a spunch. . .Vigis is the only ungrouped warrior on. . .anybody know someone with spunch as a spec?"
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Lathander
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Lathander » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:28 pm

While this is a ways in the future, I do believe that at some point some kind of kit/class/feat system will see the light of day. It may take a few years first as there are alot of things higher on the priority list.

Lath
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:57 pm

I have another.

because one of these things is not like the other. This mud isnt based on everquest (quite the opposite) Final fantasy, world of warcraft, have nothing to do with the setting of this mud.
Cofen group-says 'wtf, why am i missing a cursed khanjari?'
Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'
Nonox tells you 'i think someone casted 'power word gay' on pril'
Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:00 pm

i have to agree with dartan on this one.

Maxler also says,

.............................................____,,,---~`\,.............. ...........................................................
................................,,,_.,-~"* . . . . . . . . ."\,.........................................................................
.............................,/` . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "\, ......................................................................
......................... ,/. . . . : : : : : :::: :::: :: : : : : :\‘-,...................... ...........................................
....................... ./. . . .: . :: : : :::: :::: :::: :::: : ::: ‘-, ................. ..............................................
......................,/ . . . : . :: ::: :: : : :: :::: :::: :: : : : :: ‘-, ............... ............................................
...................,-/‘ : :: :: :: :: :: : : : : : : : :: : : :::: :::: ::::::’;............... ...........................................
......... *""\'''~~~~-______________________,,,,,,,,,,,,----~""""""""`/""*........................................
............ \,/\,/'\,,/"\,,/""\,..,/""\,..,/""\,..,/""\,..,/""\,..,/"\,/"\,/"\,/"\.,-"-/...............................................
.............."~~-,,_____,,,,__________,,,,,,,,_____________,,,,---~"...............................................
……………..,-‘’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; _,,_ ; ; ;¯’-,…………………………………..
…………..,-‘’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘’_ ¯’-,\ ; ; ; ; ‘,…………………………………
…………,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,,-~’’’’’~-,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’-‘;;;’, : :||; ; ; ; ; ‘,……………………………….
……….,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘/ :,-~’’~, : ‘,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’-,-‘ : // ; ; ; ; ; ;’,……………………………..
……..,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’,| : ‘-,;;;;,-‘ : /’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ¯’’’¯ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘-,……………………………
…….,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’-,,___,,-~’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’~,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’-,………………………….
…….| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;-,;;’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’-………………………….
……,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;-;;;;| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; |…………………………
……| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,,-‘,;;;;|’’-~ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘,…………………………
......| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;---,,,,,,,_,,,,-~’’, ‘-,;;;| ,,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’,……………………….
……| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;¯’’~-,,,_ , , , , , , ‘,;,’,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;\……………………….
……| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’-,~-,, , ,,’’,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’,………………………
……’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘’-,,¯’’;;;;| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’,………………………
…….| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’-,_,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘,………………………
…….’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’,……………………..
……..’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; \…………………….
………\ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘,……………………
……….’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;|……………………
………..| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’-,………………….
………..’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,,--~~--,, ; ; ; ; ;,--------,, ; ,--~, ; ; ,,-~, ; ;,--,,;,,-~~-,, ; ; ; ; ; ;’,………………..
…………| ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘’ . ,,--,, . ‘-, ; ; ; ;| . ,-,, . ‘, | . . | ; ;’-, . .\,,/ . ./’-,,--, . ‘, ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘-,………………
…………| ; ; ; ; ; ; | . .,’ ; ; ;’, . .| ; ; ; | . .’-‘ . ,-‘ | . . | ; ; ; ‘-, . . .,-‘ ; ;,-‘ . ,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘-,…………….
…………’, ; ; ; ; ; ;’, . ‘-,__,-‘ . ,’ ; ; ; | . .|\ . .\ . | . . |___ ; ;} . . / ; ; ;’----‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’-,………….
………….| ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’-,,_ . ._,,-‘ ; ; ; ; |__| .\__\ ;|_____/ ; ;/__/ ; ; ; ; (¯) ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘-,…………
…….......’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;¯ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘-,………
Cofen group-says 'wtf, why am i missing a cursed khanjari?'

Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'

Nonox tells you 'i think someone casted 'power word gay' on pril'

Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:39 pm

I have another.

Wow. You do realize you just posted a reply to a new idea in much the same manner as the same posters you rag on about for doing the exact same thing to other people right?

Tsk. Tsk.

Thillindel,

Is your idea to make skill caps based on innate abilitie scores, or am I missunderstanding? It's an interesting idea and makes some sense, and would open a little diversity I guess. Hrmm, I'm undecided atm.
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:45 pm

*sigh Ruxie*
Hsoj
Sojourner
Location: Not close enough to stalk... Latitude 45°30'30" Longitude -121°50'30"

Postby Hsoj » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:26 pm

but i like moogles...

kupo!
-==~ Tafah Auvry'ar'lyl | Fatah Fire Bath ~==-

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”