Why do you level alts?

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.

Why did you START leveling alts?

Its fun
30%
Its more fun than zoning
No votes
I was bored of my other character
10%
I was bored waiting for zone/quest/reboot
27%
I couldn't zone because we didn't have the right classes (or no room for my class)
10%
No one invites me to zone
3%
I don't have time to zone, but I can exp a new char
7%
To play with a friend/newbie who just started
7%
So that I can say I have an alt of every class
7%

Total votes: 30
kiryan
Sojourner

Why do you level alts?

Postby kiryan » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:20 pm

The poll question is why did you START leveling alts.

Post replies if you want to tell us why you level alts now if its different than why you started.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:25 pm

I started my first alt this wipe as a shaman so that evils could zone. Actually going back 10 years ago thats why i made my first sorc alt so I could outcast and zone with evils (well cuz sok wanted to go evil).

The reason I continue to level alts today is for a variety of reasons... I have made a new alt at one time or another for virutally every reason on the poll. The most significant two are probably: one... because it doesn't take as much concentration as a zone, so I can bot it while playing another game or surfing the web, or writing bbs posts. two... so I can have one of every class.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:34 pm

Initially, I wanted to make my melee types out of the clerics and mages. The current system didn't work and since this version of the mud has 'take it or leave it' skills per class, without possible access to other classes, I had to make alts to keep playing. Otherwise, I'm fully burnt of of this current version.

You need a 'I was bored of the mud and was fishing for a new, unknown interest I may find.' option
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:32 pm

I started a new alt just the other day for fun. I haven't been able to play as much as I like lately, but I can log on for 30 minutes or an hour and smite Scardale and (hopefully) help a newbie or two.

I've got a few alts now, Shaman lvl 45 (I wanted a solo class that could also zone) a bard lvl 25-30ish? (just had to have an afk char :P ) and now a troll warrior lvl 17 I think.

The troll is fun because I've always loved playing warrior and I get to see the levels increase vs. Vigis' tendency to decrease :)

Just a note on the assumption that you need to be 46 or up to zone, Vigtok is regularly asked to come be a gheal bish :P
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:56 am

I love to be useful. I have clerics, scalers, bard and battlechanter, elementlist, o yeah that shaman that Kuurg inspired me to make and Mrizzi pleveled til I could not NOT play her without feeling guilty *rofl* (so blame Mrizzi and Kuurg for Ambar, blame Frobs for Karikhan.)

It's fun to ress someone then log off and sing ress song for them. It's fun to be able to play multi classes for whatever is needed for the zone.

Alts are fun for if ya get bored. The ranger is like lvl 44, the anti is 41 or so? Fun alts that will never prolly zone. Troll warrior lvl 45? 46? with oober stats. Just fun to me :) A long buried dooger rogue lvl 33 or so .. that if Frobs would ever log back on and re-equip I'd play:P Then there are various and sundry others ..the druid, the dire, the snake mentalist (snake pets are the coolest) O yeah the necro with her pretty toy, love that class :)

Havent responded to poll yet cause, well I have seen no *most of the above* choice :)
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:37 am

If you could ambar pick the one that best reflects your recollection of what primarily motivated you to start your first alt.
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:58 am

Just to clear up my take on the title of this poll, I don't level alts, I play alts. Gaining levels doesn't mean anything to me. Enjoying the game means everything. For example, I would have far more fun exploring with someone who is a new player at level 20 than mind numbing power-exp with veteran players at level 45+ (though that is also something I like to do, just not as much).

- Mike
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:29 am

I think I have leveled most alts because I wanted to explore.

I rolled a barbarian shaman to explore the surface. (with vigo and invis). I rolled a rogue to explore real zones. I just rolled a menzo drow to explore that town.

I guess what I should choose in the poll is that I want one of each class. At least I want to try and cast most spells myself. There are certain classes I don't really care about trying out though (especially (anti)paladin.)

A new class offers so many things. Especially how the rogue can explore zones have amazed me. You simply don't know these things until you have one from that class.
Teshidee
Sojourner

Postby Teshidee » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:57 pm

picked the bored option, but i also started alts to

a) try something different than chanting
b) offer more possibilites to a zonegroup so we can go zone even with the pitiful pbase we currently have.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:46 pm

I'm gonna have to agree with Yarash on this one. I only level an alt with the intent to play it, which includes giving it a description/backstory, getting its skills high, and bringing it to zones. I started playing my first real alt (Gormal) because I just wanted to try something new, and my cleric was almost 50. I enjoy caster alts more because they don't require as much equipment as melee ones do to be powerful. I only have 6 high level characters right now (including 2 dwarf warriors) but I've done stuff with all of them and enjoy to play them all even if I swing from char to char as my whims change.
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:18 am

I just want to bump this thread so it's then beating the other thread titled exactly the same title.
Lahgen
Sojourner

Postby Lahgen » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:08 pm

You forgot "Because I'm Lahgen."

:p
Kesena OOC: 'i wish my daddy bought me power tools'
Dorgh group-says 'damn, even with Cofen helping Mori, they STILL can't kill someone
Hekanut says 'I know level doesn't matter much, but most won't take seriously if a level 2 claims to be the best thing before, during, and after sliced bread.'

Rather than seeing "subpar race/class," see "challenge."
Drache
Sojourner

Postby Drache » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:56 pm

but the Lahgen option would require more fields:

I play female, but am not dating any!

I have tons of time to play human, as I surely will oneday prove the leet man wrong. Others will surely cowar from human power once it's realized.

I may have ADD since I cannot level all 530543 of my alts.

(If preceeding was picked)

I'll make another alt and consider why my previous 530543 alts have never hit level 50
Lahgen
Sojourner

Postby Lahgen » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:00 pm

Drache wrote:but the Lahgen option would require more fields:

I play female, but am not dating any!

I have tons of time to play human, as I surely will oneday prove the leet man wrong. Others will surely cowar from human power once it's realized.

I may have ADD since I cannot level all 530543 of my alts.

(If preceeding was picked)

I'll make another alt and consider why my previous 530543 alts have never hit level 50

Thanks man.
Kesena OOC: 'i wish my daddy bought me power tools'

Dorgh group-says 'damn, even with Cofen helping Mori, they STILL can't kill someone

Hekanut says 'I know level doesn't matter much, but most won't take seriously if a level 2 claims to be the best thing before, during, and after sliced bread.'

Rather than seeing "subpar race/class," see "challenge."
Drache
Sojourner

Postby Drache » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:49 pm

-ruffle Lahgen- Aw, I was only playin'

Everybody knows you play to enjoy yourself and not to fill what others want you to be. Nothing wrong with that.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:49 pm

This is why I level alts:
http://tinyurl.com/rk76y
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Duna
Sojourner

Postby Duna » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:33 pm

I can't vote because my reasons aren't listed ;(

I started my first alt, back shortly after Sojourn 3 started, to have a barb that didn't have to walk back to GN everyboot for quests..
I started Duna as an alt back about a month after soj 3 came back up.. fell in love with the shaman class and made her my main..

The reason I started my other alts was to try out new classes..

I think yer poll's a bit flawed.. there are several reasons people start alts..
"A true friend unbosoms freely, advises justly, assists readily, adventures boldly, and continues a friend unchangeably." - William Penn
" I"m built for comfort not for speed. " - Carl on Jimmy Neutron.

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”