!Magic and Similar

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

!Magic and Similar

Postby Ashiwi » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:10 pm

It's occurred to me that !magic and !fly don't necessarily mean either.

It's just a suggestion, but I think that if an area is !fly, then a PC shouldn't be able to don their fly gear inside the room and gain a flying ability. Of course, there should have to be very good reasons for that, because you can be chained in a box and still be affected by 'fly.' You shouldn't have to land to move through a low archway.

Mostly this affect should be determined by the !magic flag. Should a !magic room just prevent casting, or should there be some reason it's !magic, more along the lines of a damping field that affects all magic that comes into the area? If the latter, then the magical properties of items should be negated, as well. That means no key-worded magic, no wearing items to get a magical ability, no procs, etc. Personally, I'd just be tickled if !magic meant no casting and no added abilities from worn equipment... like +str, detect magic, prots or fly.

I know that would probably involve tons of work to pull off, but that's why this is just personal opinion and suggestion.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Tasan
Sojourner

Re: !Magic and Similar

Postby Tasan » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:19 pm

Ashiwi wrote:Personally, I'd just be tickled if !magic meant no casting and no added abilities from worn equipment... like +str, detect magic, prots or fly.

I know that would probably involve tons of work to pull off, but that's why this is just personal opinion and suggestion.

You are talking about a dead-magic zone, which are fairly rare on Faerun, but do exist.

I would like to see these implemented with discretion. I believe the beholder proc for anti-magic could be worked into a flag without too many problems.

When talking about magical fly, I agree that in dead-magic or specifically !fly areas, you shouldn't be able to use equipment to fly, however I think flying creatures(winged etc.) should be able to move about freely. I would like to see more mountable pets which have a non-magical fly ability.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Cirath
Sojourner

Re: !Magic and Similar

Postby Cirath » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:22 pm

Ashiwi wrote:If the latter, then the magical properties of items should be negated, as well. That means no key-worded magic, no wearing items to get a magical ability, no procs, etc. Personally, I'd just be tickled if !magic meant no casting and no added abilities from worn equipment... like +str, detect magic, prots or fly.

Of course, this would also mean taking into account what bonuses to hit, damage and weapon dice are from magic, and what from natural properties. Would magically aquired hitpoints be permanently drained (as if you took the item off, and put it back on) or just suppressed while in the area? I am sure there are some other tricky questions involved as well, but those are the two that come to mind.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:53 am

Nods, negating all effects would take a whole buttload of work.

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:46 pm

Items and spells that grant flight have always annoyed me in that while affected by either, you are always in the air. I don't see why I shouldn't be able to control it where I can land or fly at my discretion, or change my altitude. Levitate however, makes a little more sense that you cannot touch the ground until the spell doesn't affect you or you're restrained by some other means. To contradict my own point, I do like the gameplay reprecussions of being forced to remove fly items or get dispelled to move around rooms.

As far as !magic goes; I love the idea of a null_magic flag being added to the zone repetoire while changing the current !magic flag to inhibit_spells flag or something along those lines.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:41 pm

Actually... would it be that difficult to negate the effects of worn magical items? I don't even know if the game keeps track of naked stats, but it seems like it wouldn't be that difficult to force stats to remain at "naked" state for all purposes besides that of armor.

Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:19 pm

One of the things that really gets me mad is how a mob is in a room with a stupid shopkeeper. "No magic here, blah blah" Now mob IN the room can cast w/o trouble. Was especially funny when Shar was told not to cast when with a shopkeeper, and an apprentice in the room starts casting...
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:38 am

Ashiwi wrote:Actually... would it be that difficult to negate the effects of worn magical items? I don't even know if the game keeps track of naked stats, but it seems like it wouldn't be that difficult to force stats to remain at "naked" state for all purposes besides that of armor.

Would this affect the mobs as well? In general they don't have equipment to give them bonuses. Would there be a base penalty for mobs? would they be immune?
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:32 am

I agree with Gormal. If you wear 1 levi item and 1 fly item it would be more natural that fly and levitate was a position.

Right now you always sit in midair if you wear fly, and like yoda if you levi. If the "land" and "fly" command was changed, and a "levitate" command added then it would work more as I would assume fly gear works in a fantasy world.

There would now be some issues with if you sit on water or midair then you still sit in midair, but I tihnk that could be worked out.

And I am against !magic rooms negating magic on eq. Mainly because of dragonburn etc. would make it so that noone would go to !magic rooms.
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:14 am

I like my Yoda sitting!

I do like the code that I think it was Duris had YEARS ago where if you had fly, inconveniences like ohh.. rivers... city walls etc kinda went away.
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”