Greater Restoration

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Greater Restoration

Postby Thilindel » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:44 pm

Would be nice to get rid of res song, have Greater Restoration (quest spell) after Ressurrect. Maybe have it

Casting: greater restoration ************ With QC

Wherein, your spells are remem'd and possibly resfx fixed as well. To quote the good 'ol book: "However, Resurrection also heals the character so that they are ready for the adventuring life once more." ..if we could just change that part to g. restoration, then we'd be set. TimesTinks - boo hiss.
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:20 pm

There are a few immediate problems with this plan, as I see it:

First, with 2.0 on the horizon, adding new spells and removing class skills (unless I misunderstood you when you said "get rid of res song") in the current system seems an awful lot of work in coding and balancing just to be reworked or removed entirely at the change over.

Second, greater restoration is a high level cleric spell. This would further crowd an already packed spell list, as well as add to the already heavy work load of the cleric, while taking away from the already light responsibilities of the bard.

Third, the chances are extremely high that this spell will, in fact, exist in 2.0, but it is also quite possible that ress effects as you know them now will not.

Finally, there will soon be no quick chant or multi-star casting times. All spells (with a few exceptions) will be moved to the standard action school of spell casting from what I have read, so unless extra effort was put in to see this coded for the current game, it is an unnecissary consideration.

That is all I can think of off the top of my head.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:19 am

Was a half-baked idea cuz the board's so quiet lately and no 2.0 updates *duck*
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:57 pm

notwithstanding 2.0 and your arguments thereof, I must disagree with point two, which should read something more like..

Second, Greater Restoration is a high level spell, which would REPLACE another high level (10th circle quest) spell. The current incentives to do this are already in place and thus, this new and harder quest spell would be a much sought after and invigorating new initiative for the already battle hardened cleric.

Cheers on hitting a good idea Thil, too bad this wasn't thought of about five years ago. As far as 2.0 coming in, well, yeah, it will most likely take care of most of these issues. But then, just when IS 2.0 coming in?? I bet a quick and temporary quest spell patch could be done within a few weeks, if somebody really had the nerve (and time) to get it done.
Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:05 pm

interesting idea

it wouldn't be kept mem'd, like revive, but only mem'd when needed, it could work like embody where as you can only have one person under it's effect, combined with bard song, that one person would recover faster than with the regular bard song only.
Talona responds to your petition with 'Sweet, I fixed something!'
Talona LFG: [55 Evil Human Nec] 'Don't make me mud castrate you all.'
Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Lathander
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Lathander » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:17 am

Heh, as a player, I could really twink the hell out of this. :)

Lath
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:28 am

Admittedly, not knowing 2.0...I must say, twinking the hell out of something sure sounds better than waiting for the 10 minutes or more of resfx and utter timesink boredom as it currently stands.

Wonder even if it were just a default timeline after being res'd.

First minute, you gain: 1st/2nd circle and 20% atts.
2nd minute: 3/4/5th circs and 50% atts
3rd minute 6/7th circs and 80% atts
4th minute Fully recouped

Make prioritizing spells mess with recouping time too..
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:03 pm

Lathander wrote:Heh, as a player, I could really twink the hell out of this. :)

Lath

I hear some players still cant roll vits, why ya think they can twink this? *stare*

*wink hug*
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Lathander
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Lathander » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:50 pm

As one of the players that got the ressfx put in back in 96, it is there to prevent folks from attacking a mob with a very small group and just dying alot and ressing back up all you want. If there is no negative to doing this strategy why would folks not use it?

The ressfx is there to discourage use of this practice not to bore folks. :P
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:27 pm

Lathander wrote:As one of the players that got the ressfx put in back in 96, it is there to prevent folks from attacking a mob with a very small group and just dying alot and ressing back up all you want. If there is no negative to doing this strategy why would folks not use it?

As the first bard to get Song of Recovery, my response to this is that the Imms obviously agreed that the time it takes for a player to completely recover from ress fx was unnecessarily long and annoying. :wink:
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:55 am

That and if the strategy of minimal man power vs. TIME - well, you still lose xp, and I'm not sure about others, but since family life is leeching a lot of mudding time, ...

I hate timesinks because I really like mudding and the people who play here. Timesinks piss me off :/ Reminds me of how I hated school as a kid. You get a few seconds of homework, yet have to sit about 8 hours in school and waste your time. *sigh*
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:36 am

I rather liked the idea of a room that speeds up ress effects in town. With new bard and necro skills, ress + wait isn't your only option anymore. Yes, I understand that in !tele zones you have no other option than ress, but bring a bard if you're worried. Some sort of holy/unholy temple where priests can bring corpses and make an offering to their diety for a greater resurrection seems more in keeping with our current gameplay.

In the event that 2.0 changes everything about resurrection and spank recovery, disregard everything I just said.
Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:54 pm

Lathander wrote:As one of the players that got the ressfx put in back in 96, it is there to prevent folks from attacking a mob with a very small group and just dying alot and ressing back up all you want. If there is no negative to doing this strategy why would folks not use it?

But do you really think it still has that effect? Take a look at the great corpse producer that is Tia, you press and ress later. I think now that you can go way over 100% exp the loss of exp really isn't as important as it once was. Additionally in many zones there are "safe" rooms where you can drag corpses to and ress there, then wait for the fx to go away (time siiinnnkkkkk)

I know this will be unpopular but I think the pbase as evolved such that a new system might be needed. For example reduce the recovery time and reduce the amount of exp regained. Writers will need to figure out different ways to discourage small groups from doing mobs (I blame rogues, you know who you are) ;) Even with greater exp loss, I know of a few people (mostly rogues) that don't bother with resses, or can and do wait for a long time before they get one.
Talona responds to your petition with 'Sweet, I fixed something!'

Talona LFG: [55 Evil Human Nec] 'Don't make me mud castrate you all.'

Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Guardias
Sojourner

Postby Guardias » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:06 pm

Well we can all just hope that with the coming of 2.0, d&d 3.5 ressurection rules will be followed and allow for little time between the ress and getting back into the action. I mean true ress in the books heals you too so it'll be even nice when ressing into a hostile environment.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:31 pm

I'm all for Miracle allowing a group true ress - pay a hefty XP cost, and get everyone back on their feet instantly!

Of course, whether that XP cost should be paid by the cleric or by the targets is an interesting question . . . In 3.5 it's the caster that pays, but here we have to consider balance very carefully.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Guardias
Sojourner

Postby Guardias » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:14 pm

There are many alternatives to this given by the people at Wizards, they have suggested that for item creation and other spells with exp components that the caster can take the exp from another character. So if that was placed into the game the problem would be easily addressed.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:46 am

moritheil wrote:I'm all for Miracle allowing a group true ress

Why am I not surprised...
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
grundar
Sojourner

Postby grundar » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:46 am

Lathander wrote:As one of the players that got the ressfx put in back in 96

I hate joo now :P
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:25 pm

Tasan wrote:
moritheil wrote:I'm all for Miracle allowing a group true ress

Why am I not surprised...

Hey, I have a reputation to uphold. :wink: