Scheduled Reboots

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.

Should reboots be a scheduled system event?

Yes
59%
No
41%

Total votes: 29
Kegor
Sojourner

Scheduled Reboots

Postby Kegor » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:25 am

I think reboots should be a coded and scheduled event. Some set amount of time between each boot, falling on the same exact time every time.

Something like 4 times a week, making each boot last 42 hours (7 x 24 = 168 / 4 = 42). This frequency choice would also put reboots at different times of day. Say the first one is on Friday at 6:00pm, the second one would then be on Sunday at Noon, the third one would be Tuesday 6:00am, and the fourth would be Wensday at Midnight.

This would also give players from all different time zones the ability to be around for a reboot and be ready for it, putting them in the game so to speak as far as rare hunting goes. Not to mention it would be a good for planning zones around for the majority of players.
Ssnyss
Sojourner

Postby Ssnyss » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:30 pm

puttingreboot on an auto timer not a good idea, especialy if no gods are on to delay it for whatever reason.
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:22 pm

but if we all know when the boot is i dont see a problem. we should be smart enough to bnot start/do things in that time frame.
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:40 pm

Not such a great idea to have a 'no zone' period hard-coded into the mud. Better to have a bias towards rebooting after 40 or 50 hours or whatever, and let the gods use their discretion.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:56 pm

This is a reboot we are talking about, not a crash. Most zones have spots in them where no mobs load or wander etc. Waiting around for 10 minutes until boot at that safe spot might suck I guess, but would give people chance to take a pause or whatever. But, I do see what you are getting at, and I think something could be added for genuine CR purposes. Such as 7 people needing to type a certain command, such as 'delay reboot', to delay it by 1 hour. This could also be put in the reboot warnings. Like this.

10 MINUTES UNTIL REBOOT!
If you have good reason to delay this reboot, please type 'delay reboot'.

The main benifit of this idea is no such thing as long up times. So on average you would have almost as many opportunites to go find rares and stuff at about the frequency they were intended for. Also, it is scheduled, so you can always know when its going to boot. For the people that don't have that much time to mud, and they still want to eventually finish quests in thier lifetime, this concept is fantastic.
alendar
Sojourner

Postby alendar » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:47 pm

Corth wrote:let the gods use their discretion.

ok, i guess the cubs have a chance at the world series this year... cause i think that falls into the category of hell freezing over... when corth says something like that....

i'm afraid.... really really afraid....
Alendar -= The Black Ash of the Phoenix =-
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0612.html
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantIT ... ipt?SK=244
Hador group-says 'Inames I think you are the only person on the mud who shouldn't talk about Cofen sucking'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:45 pm

They have to be good for SOMETHING.. :)
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:48 am

amolol wrote:we should be smart enough

Ignorance!
Teflor does. Teflor does not.

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”