Lost Alts

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Lost Alts

Postby Zoldren » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:20 pm

Maybe could post a list of inactive characters? Or even a full list of characters to ring some old timers bells to find some long lost loved piece of eq.. or just a reminder to delete :)
Malvareth
Sojourner

Postby Malvareth » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:29 pm

I just returned after a few months of hiatus and had to have staff assistance to recover the names of a few of my characters. Sure it's my fault for forgetting the names or neglecting to write them down in a permanent place, but these things happen to everybody. It took me over a week to get a hold of the correct staff member, and it took their time to help me out. After assistance was provided I suggested a coded alt list, inspired from another mud where it served both as a convenient list of alts and as a hard-coded measure to prevent multi-play, but I was told that it had been considered previously but abandoned in favor of more important work. That's understandable, but I wonder if it doesn't take the staff more time to help players recover forgotten character names than it would take to write up the simple code that allows you to see characters that share IP and possibly passwords with your main, or that lets you manually add them to a networked list accessible by all the characters on it. Mudmailing names to your main is easy enough, but sometimes you just forget to do it, everybody has moments of dementia.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:11 am

Malvareth wrote:I just returned after a few months of hiatus and had to have staff assistance to recover the names of a few of my characters. Sure it's my fault for forgetting the names or neglecting to write them down in a permanent place, but these things happen to everybody. It took me over a week to get a hold of the correct staff member, and it took their time to help me out. After assistance was provided I suggested a coded alt list, inspired from another mud where it served both as a convenient list of alts and as a hard-coded measure to prevent multi-play, but I was told that it had been considered previously but abandoned in favor of more important work. That's understandable, but I wonder if it doesn't take the staff more time to help players recover forgotten character names than it would take to write up the simple code that allows you to see characters that share IP and possibly passwords with your main, or that lets you manually add them to a networked list accessible by all the characters on it. Mudmailing names to your main is easy enough, but sometimes you just forget to do it, everybody has moments of dementia.

ya ive gotten in the habbit of mudmailing myself and a rl friend names for now... of the ones i can remember...just today he remembered another one for me.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:44 am

There IS code that allows you to see IP share characters .. it is for different mudders who share the same IP address .. Our list is hellaciously long with all of our alts .. every time I log a new char on I get a petition if I want to add this new char to the IP share list

What I do to remember is to assign a keyset in zmud to each character .. if i roll and keep a new character, i add a keyset ..

I guess what you are asking for is something similar to what you see when you log into WoW or other online games? Maybe add an option to the login menu where you can see the list of YOUR characters?

11. Who do you feel like playing as today?
a. Jim
b. Leo
c. Bob

Wherein you could have a main login, say with your email address and a main password so you can get the list .. then need a password for each character?
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:47 pm

Ambar wrote:There IS code that allows you to see IP share characters .. it is for different mudders who share the same IP address .. Our list is hellaciously long with all of our alts .. every time I log a new char on I get a petition if I want to add this new char to the IP share list

What I do to remember is to assign a keyset in zmud to each character .. if i roll and keep a new character, i add a keyset ..

I guess what you are asking for is something similar to what you see when you log into WoW or other online games? Maybe add an option to the login menu where you can see the list of YOUR characters?

11. Who do you feel like playing as today?
a. Jim
b. Leo
c. Bob

Wherein you could have a main login, say with your email address and a main password so you can get the list .. then need a password for each character?

That would be cool.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:06 pm

Really. Really. Cool.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:50 pm

We're working on an Account system for 2.0, where you sign in under one master account and then have access to all of your characters. It may slip to the first post-2.0 release (2.1?), but either way this problem should be seriously alleviated in the near future.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:57 pm

Shevy for Forger 08!
Cordan
Sojourner

Postby Cordan » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:10 pm

Man that'll be nice. I know I have lost a dozen alts over the years. :P
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:21 pm

Rofl who wants to bet I'll break it!!

*grin*
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:26 pm

Lilira wrote:Rofl who wants to bet I'll break it!!

*grin*

You'd have to beat Jennifer and I first!
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:38 pm

When will 2.1 be ready?
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:57 pm

Disoputlip wrote:When will 2.1 be ready?

- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”