Pending release of 2.0

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Pending release of 2.0

Postby Thilindel » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:42 pm

Would like to see others thoughts on having TWO characters logged in (limited multi) during slow times. This would help draw in capacity for a player who can't find a group to xp, zone, or whatnot. Some classes are screwed without backup. Having a cleric alt or something of that nature would at least enable you to xp or have a little risque fun. On the other hand, if someone logs on and can't group because someone wants to stay in their 2-man alt group, then other rules could apply. Of course, it'd help if the one wanting a group would synergize the proposed grouping.
Raiwen
Sojourner

Postby Raiwen » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:05 am

this wouldn't help groups or zones really. this would help people twink stuff easier, and you'd get less zones.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:16 pm

Disagree. Most of us already have a solo-able character handy for slow times on the MUD. This would just further elitism here if our top players could twink bigger and badder mobs.

Or worse, Corth would log a second character in to idle. :shock:
Cordan
Sojourner

Postby Cordan » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:18 pm

Birile wrote:Disagree. Most of us already have a solo-able character handy for slow times on the MUD. This would just further elitism here if our top players could twink bigger and badder mobs.

If he does that, should put it in VT or something. Good solid travel target!
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:52 pm

Cordan wrote:
Birile wrote:Disagree. Most of us already have a solo-able character handy for slow times on the MUD. This would just further elitism here if our top players could twink bigger and badder mobs.

If he does that, should put it in VT or something. Good solid travel target!

Then what would Kegor and Raiwen do???
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:52 am

Staff has said that playing 2 chars is hard for new players in addition to learning the game.

If it's hard there for it should be evil only.
Then Evils could do whatever they normally do playing with each other..

as far as elites twinking more mobs... they would just ask an elite friend to come as thats easier /more efficient to have 2 people at the keys to twink it.

There's been plenty of times that groups couldn't do anything because someone could only play 1 of their needed characters for x. If they where able to play 2, then hey... it's on (one example was play a warrior or a illus...but not both!)

but ya the cleric/warrior is a classic new player argument :)
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:47 am

If multi was going to be allowed (which it probably never will), 2 characters would be the best number. Anything more than that either downplays the role of those characters in a group, or caters to the most eq depth and script writing skills of the person in question.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:39 pm

Prolly seems harsh, but pending 2.0, the lackluster volume of players, and the staggering boredom after all the exploring, etc..this place just is ...well, I won't say it. SOMETHING needs to be done, the way I see it, to liven it up for a player who logs on and there's nobody at the keys, solo'g, uncompromising groups who want to hog xp, etc. I can only keep making shit up to do for so long. Multi'g during whatever hours, or certain days PENDING 2.0 set aside would help. There are chars who were solo'g shit that was harder to do that one person trying to control 2 players. I don't see much of a balance issue. 2 manning Jot, Muspel, etc. *shrug* Any game, product, etc is open to hacks, power/manipulators of a system. At any rate, I hope they consider it or at least notice it's over a month per entry for updates, etc. I know RL etc.......but wow. I don't mean to seem negative, I'm just being honest.
Malvareth
Sojourner

Postby Malvareth » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:06 am

How about allowing multiplay of two characters as long as both are below level 50? It would solve the problem with the fact that leveling up is all but impossible these days, but completely avoid the rest of the problems mentioned above.
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:20 am

I think if you were going to tempt the gods with a level restricting idea for multi, it would have to be much lower. LOL. That sentance reminded me of that oldschool gameshow 'Cardsharks'. You would have to dip below 46 for sure, otherwise level 49 would be the new level 50.

I still don't see what would be so bad about two char multi for any levels.

Positives:
Diversifies grouping and zoning at any given time.
Makes decent exp possible for anyone at anytime.
More possibilities for having fun for anyone at anytime.

Negatives:
Multi-play is bad, MMM'KAY?
Some people might not like the idea of multi.
You might have to CR two corpses instead of one.
One or two people might only want to group with themselves.
One or two people might try three chars and get administrative punishment.
A few people might suck in a zone group with two chars (some suck with one).
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:44 pm

Free 2-char multi does not address the fundamental problem: we need more players. If we had an influx of players, there would be enough that they could play with each other and free multi would be useless. If we don't have enough players, free 2-char multi won't cause 15-man zone runs to suddenly start happening all the time.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Ifin
Sojourner

Postby Ifin » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:04 am

There's another thread about multiplay somewhere, but I just want to point out that, sure you can limit it to 2 chars/player which we all agree on, but

w/no restrictions, the payoff ratio for the upper end will be *significantly* greater than for newer players, which might lead to less inclusiveness.

I like multi, but think it needs a lot more thought/discussion to how we want to target it.
Malvareth
Sojourner

Postby Malvareth » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:42 am

moritheil wrote:Free 2-char multi does not address the fundamental problem: we need more players. If we had an influx of players, there would be enough that they could play with each other and free multi would be useless. If we don't have enough players, free 2-char multi won't cause 15-man zone runs to suddenly start happening all the time.

You'll never get new players when they can't find groups. Soloing is practically impossible save for a select few classes, and especially if you're just wearing what you've found (which is usually nothing below level 40).
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:16 pm

Malvareth wrote:
moritheil wrote:Free 2-char multi does not address the fundamental problem: we need more players. If we had an influx of players, there would be enough that they could play with each other and free multi would be useless. If we don't have enough players, free 2-char multi won't cause 15-man zone runs to suddenly start happening all the time.

You'll never get new players when they can't find groups. Soloing is practically impossible save for a select few classes, and especially if you're just wearing what you've found (which is usually nothing below level 40).

I agree that that's a problem. But have we any evidence that people will give up their 2-char style of play to join zone groups? On other MUDs that allowed this all I ever saw were 2-man groups - it killed grouping.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'

Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'

Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:09 pm

moritheil wrote:
Malvareth wrote:

I agree that that's a problem. But have we any evidence that people will give up their 2-char style of play to join zone groups? On other MUDs that allowed this all I ever saw were 2-man groups - it killed grouping.

This is another issue that "will be addressed in 2.0."

There will be some sort of grouping bonus, where exp scales in a group's favor the more people are in the group (from what I understand of the plan).
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:13 pm

Malvareth wrote:

The only people you'll see at that low of level are people twinked out. They probably won't group (I would if I was leveling though :) ) with new players so they get exp faster. It's a shame we can't get Toril 2.0 group xp changes.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:02 pm

institute a level cap on how far up you can multi with.. say like I don't know 40 or so.. that way the people who actually are leveling up can multi if there really isnt anyone around and you cant twink too much with two mid 30's
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:47 pm

Limiting multi to 2 characters should be enough, and I think, based on our pbase, that it will not be a problem, but rather, promote more exploring, more zoning, and less complaining about xp.

Some complain it will kill grouping. I think this is completely false. I can't do spob with two characters. I can do it with my 2 characters and 6 more friends with 2 characters. Yes, this will limit the amount of people going to spob with us. So what? Then the other people can go do another zone on their own alts also.

More zoning at the same time, instead of only 15 people zoning per night to one zone, and the rest either xping or touching mobs in VT.[/list]
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:05 pm

I don't see the point in multiing at this point. Most zones aren't worth doing now because of eq inflation and because of all the outdated gear. Remember when we use to do ET every boot? Vault? TF?
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Ifin
Sojourner

Postby Ifin » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:19 pm

My suggestion for multi is 2-chars, but w/the following restriction:

You must LFG (maybe 1x each minute for 5 minutes) and cannot deny anyone +-5 levels from joining you.

Then the group would become multi'able.

If switching to another zone, you must do the same again.

This prevents multi twinking. This prevents multi just for the purpose of plvl'ing (your own chars).

This allows multi based on low pbase.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:54 pm

I am adamantly against multi-play.

Because I see wayy too much potential for two of my characters running around creating havoc. That and a GROSS potential for two of my characters and two of someone else's characters ruining the game for everybody else :D
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:32 pm

Omg, you and Sarvis are going to multiplay political debates on ooc??!

*panic*
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:43 am

Corth wrote:Omg, you and Sarvis are going to multiplay political debates on ooc??!

*panic*

Rofl!
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”