Random Rareload items on mobs

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Random Rareload items on mobs

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Fri May 09, 2008 5:49 pm

I would love to see a random load of scrolls/potions/etc in mobs inventories upon death. The spell and effective level of the spell would be comparable to the mob killed, and they would be uncommon (1 drop per 20 or so kills?). The available spells should be from a pretty short list and perhaps limited to buffs/low level healing and perhaps all the way up to heal potions with the high level mobs. I think that especially in the low level areas this would make for a much more exciting leveling experience and perhaps even give small groups/soloers a little bonus.

EDIT: only humanoid/intelligent creatures would have these items. They would not load on critters or on humanoids of animal intelligence. For instance: goblin (yes), buffalo (no), giant (yes), teflor (no), kobold (yes), gorilla (no)
Gormal
Sojourner

Re: Random Rareload items on mobs

Postby Gormal » Fri May 09, 2008 8:00 pm

I've actually been thinking this same thing for a while now.
Cap'n Touk
Sojourner

Postby Cap'n Touk » Sat May 10, 2008 12:20 pm

You're so 5 years ago Del! Totally agree, I remember putting some scrolls, potions, spellbooks rare load on the Dragons in Muspelheim.. be cooler if they were random load for sure but, random requires code bla bla bla :)
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sat May 10, 2008 6:32 pm

Those are great, but I think Delmair is looking at a broader scope where grinding out any mob in the game can net you neat stuff. The major exp zones, FK, Airship, Jot grid, are all examples of places this would get some real mileage.
spunionring
Sojourner

Postby spunionring » Sat May 10, 2008 6:50 pm

There are quest items that load randomly on mobs in some of the exp zones that can be turned in for potions, poisons etc..

If a mob loaded with a potion or scroll or wand, i might expect it to use the item when i attack it.
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Sat May 10, 2008 8:59 pm

The quest item load idea is also a sound one. I agree that a creature would perhaps use the item in its defense. What inspired this idea was both a) grinding a few newbie classes, and b) old ADnD treasure rewards where you always ended up with some random scrolls/potions that you rarely ever used. I think the quest reward idea might be sound, but less real and less instant gratification. I think sticking with an item load directly on the mob instead of a quest would be more fun, albeit less realistic.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sun May 11, 2008 3:48 am

the only two zones I can think off hand that are xp with random very rare drops are smoke and DS xp. There's not much motivation to xp elsewhere when other players aren't around...which has been the case as of late.
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Mon May 12, 2008 3:28 pm

Thilindel wrote:the only two zones I can think off hand that are xp with random very rare drops are smoke and DS xp. There's not much motivation to xp elsewhere when other players aren't around...which has been the case as of late.

There's this place called the Comarian Mines you should check out.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Mon May 12, 2008 3:29 pm

Delmair Aamoren wrote:What inspired this idea was both a) grinding a few newbie classes, and b) old ADnD treasure rewards where you always ended up with some random scrolls/potions that you rarely ever used.

Don't laugh--I think spell scrolls are going to random load on mobs in 2.0.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon May 12, 2008 4:13 pm

Birile wrote:There's this place called the Comarian Mines you should check out.

CM is still a senseless grind at times with the low load rate of all of the rares. !rent haste potions don't make up for that.
spunionring
Sojourner

Postby spunionring » Mon May 12, 2008 10:45 pm

theres other stuff thats rentable.
flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Tue May 13, 2008 9:13 am

Gormal wrote:Those are great, but I think Delmair is looking at a broader scope where grinding out any mob in the game can net you neat stuff. The major exp zones, FK, Airship, Jot grid, are all examples of places this would get some real mileage.

I think it could be cool but I also think alot of people would start whining about item saturation and all that, people in this game are never happy. I can't guarantee that would happen, but I would so not be surprised. But, just to throw this out there, I think it'd be pretty cool.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue May 13, 2008 6:15 pm

spunionring wrote:theres other stuff thats rentable.

Nothing really worthwhile, and any mob you have to grind for quests doesn't drop anything else that I can think of.
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Wed May 14, 2008 8:42 pm

This idea is completely different than the CM grind. These would be rentable items that are level appropriate. It would be a global effect, but i would suggest making things appropriately themed to their zone as much as possible. They would be 1 time use SIMPLE, COMMON spells. This is more about flavor and spicing things up a little, making looting a mob more than just coins 99.9% of the time. This would put things more along par with ADnD tabletop type looting.
Inames
Sojourner

Postby Inames » Sun May 18, 2008 1:52 am

if the gods ever feel bored enough to reply to these many ideas im sure that they will argue the fact that there are plenty of potions/poisons/scrolls in game and you can just go buy some with the money you make, as for killing high lvl mobs for better items, you can kill 20 bugbears in CM then go buy a heal/minorglobe/sumthinelse potion in mithril hall

[edit] though i highly support this idea, would be nice to be able to find bark/stone/heal/cure potions after killing high level mobs, would definitely add to the glist for zones with large numbers of mobs, particularly good idea for zones with few end rewards to have some nice potions to split too
[Dru 50] Inames (Grey Elf)
[Rog 50] Ishiras (Grey Elf)
[Enc 50] Aremat (Grey Elf)
[War 50] Amori (Grey Elf)
[Ran 50] Aninen (Grey Elf)
[Ele 50] Itanul (Grey Elf)
[Inv 50] Aleadis (Grey Elf)
[Bar 50] Ashire (Grey Elf)
[Cle 50] Isila (Grey Elf)
My Deviant Art Page
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests