Really simple band-aid til 2.0

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Really simple band-aid til 2.0

Postby Thilindel » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:49 am

Most people know that the coding for these classes is still basically in game:

Berserker
Monk
Sorcerer
Assassin
Mercenary
Thief
AND

Race:
MycOnid

In lieu of a pwipe, this definitely would give something to do.
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
Gormal
Sojourner

Re: Really simple band-aid til 2.0

Postby Gormal » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:19 pm

PLEASE INCORPORATE PROSTITUTION RAPE AN BACCURAT INTO THE GAME I CANNOT EXAPLIN WHY BUT IT WILL SAVE TORIL
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:19 pm

jesus fucking christ, do you ever have anything constructive to say?
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
Dalyx
Sojourner

Postby Dalyx » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:22 am

If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black, I don't know what is. You guys make me laugh so much! :)
kanenan
Sojourner

Postby kanenan » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:55 am

Man that would be awesome. Haven't played any of those classes since the 90's.
stuff.
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:07 pm

Mycanoid Monk FTW!
The best of WTF statments of '06
--------------------------------------------------------
Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'
Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'
Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:42 pm

The coding for the class labels is certainly still in the game, but muchof the functionality of those classes has either been removed or is no longer compatible with new systems. Sorcerers would make no sense with their old spell list, most of the Monk code has been removed, Myconids were never finished, and the Merc/Thief/Assassin trio is completely obsoleted by the Rogue class. I appreciate the feedback, but I don't think this solution would be either simple or effective.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:45 pm

Shev what about the new races from 2.0 that you were talking about. Are those at a stage that it can be implemented for us to play with?

Pril
The best of WTF statments of '06

--------------------------------------------------------

Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'

Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'

Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:56 am

Shevarash wrote:The coding for the class labels is certainly still in the game, but muchof the functionality of those classes has either been removed or is no longer compatible with new systems. Sorcerers would make no sense with their old spell list, most of the Monk code has been removed, Myconids were never finished, and the Merc/Thief/Assassin trio is completely obsoleted by the Rogue class. I appreciate the feedback, but I don't think this solution would be either simple or effective.

It never occurred to me until now how mages and rogues took exact opposite paths as the game progressed. Originally there was the broad sorceror class, which was subsequently broken down into 3 specialty classes, enchanter, invoker, and illus. Then on the other hand you had three specialty classes, merc/thief/assassin, which were condensed into one broad class, rogue.

I'm curious which one the players think worked out better.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:20 am

You know, I remember talking alot to Lloth about fixing thieves/assassins by making them into one class. I think the outcome has been great. I also remember mentioning how the Sorcerer class should be divided into just TWO classes, one more defense oriented, the other offense oriented. I think the problem came about when it was split into 4 different classes, instead of just two. The illusionist class is the real problem, and elementalist/necromancer are redundant. Out of all the classes I have played (illusionist & psionicist being the only exceptions), I can honestly say Necromancer has been by far the worst class overall. Great xpers, and that's it.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:00 am

I enjoyed the illus class because it was balanced like sorcerors between offense, defense, and utility spells. The two classes are very similar in a weird sort of way. I never had the patience to play enchanter. Invokers.. basically a mindless class.

My feeling has long been that the less classes the better. Its counterintuitive.. people like variety. Yet, there are only so many things that people can do in this game. The more classes you make, the more specialized (and boring) they become. Imagine taking all the spells and skills in the game among all the classes, and putting them into 4 basic classes. Warrior, Cleric, Mage, Rogue. Wouldn't it be fun to have 25% of the skills in the game at your disposal in a single character? I'm taking it to an extreme, but I think thats the best way to illustrate this point.

It seems to me that the rogue class is clearly an improvement upon thieves/assassins/mercenaries. Nobody has ever been able to convince me that invokers and enchanters are an improvement upon sorcerors.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:50 pm

Corth wrote:Nobody has ever been able to convince me that invokers and enchanters are an improvement upon sorcerors.

Given my L50 in each mage class, I fully agree. I so would rather be the illusionist during an impending group spank. There's a great chance you'll still survive. The utility over an invoker is welcome.

For Enchanters: You can't be afk - ever
for invokers: Just hit enter basically. *agree* purely mindless
for illusionist: nearly bard-esque in the lazy types just displace, and the active try to flux, etc.
but, for necro/lich, you are given a good variety of 'hero' by proxy for rescues in a pinch. Still not the variety of illusionist for staying alive (lich pun - woo!)
The true shame of 'mages' is illithid. They're so watered down, and for whatever reason, some mr resists psi attacks..where to start on why they are vulnerable. In the least, a psi should be able to force its opponent to illusions of some sort, per se: hallucinate. feign death mebbe
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:11 pm

It's ok to have overlapping classes, as long as each class has a unique and desireable characteristic. On a non-pvp mud, it makes a lot of sense to consolidate thieves, assassins, and mercenaries. There just wasn't enough to differentiate thieves and assassins, nor warriors and mercenaries (on a pvp mud where hiding, stealing, and backstabbing are more prominent, the classes are more distinctly different). I'm glad they consolidated those classes. We struggled for a while with the distinction between Rogues and Rangers too, and I'm glad they've driven those two classes away from each other as well.

The problem with mages is, if you put too much separation between the classes, then you end up needing ALL of them when you zone.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:55 pm

Six Degrees of Separation! *nod nod nod*
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:10 pm

Have necro, have enchanter, have invoker, have elem...

Have bard too. :P

Enchanters. Buff b^tch and a pain to level cus you're typically sitting on your butt memming when the death cries start going. Hate it in groups. I find more fun in solo-ing than I do groups with enchanter.

Necro. again, more fun to solo. But then I haven't really grouped much with her cept for like, one or two other people.

Invoker. Love my Eyab^tch and there are some zones you have to pay attention in. But then there's a ton of gear that took the wimp factor away from the invoker that made it far more interesting. Being able to survive three hits just takes the challenge out for the tanks! Well and some of the really high end stuff did too. Most fun ever is vokering in SPoB. Oh and I loves Izans, yes I do! The thing is, there are spells vokers have that are overlooked in their usefulness over having sheer masses of firepower. Does anyone even bother with looking to see if something is the last target in the room anymore before throwing that last inferno? No wonder your eyes are glazing.

Bard. One who actually pays attention and stays at keys can be a pretty helpful thing to have. Problem is, Bards got the 'AFK class' title so people who level them up and play them take a nap in zones. Don't knock those displaces. I've saved a couple of tank's fannies when all the casters are on their butts in the next room and that scale/displace pops. Though when the fat is in the fire, I REALLY hate the song change lag. Seems like it takes FOREVER! But then everything does in a frantic situation.

Elem. *yawn* Got bored before I got her high enough to do the cool stuff with. Same with my Illu.

On a side note. *sniff* I miss my mercenary class. *sulk*
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:52 pm

As far as the rogue situation, i think the inevitable happened. The thief was truly not a wonderful class with the exception of circle and steal. Since steal was turned off for most of sojourn, i think they were at a significant disadvantage. Rolling them all into one was the only solution.

As far as the spellcaster classes, nothing and yet everything changed. The original three were sorcerers, conjurers, and necros. All of them had a niche. Sorcerers had the option to "specialize" in one school of magic or another, where conjurers were stuck with summoning, and necros with necromancy. Sorcerers that specialized in enchantment were similar to todays enchanters, and sorcs that specialized in invocation were the equivalent of todays invokers. It is wonderful that the scope of both of those roles has been expanded into two seperate classes to keep balance. With the pbase of today it would be beneficial to have the well rounded sorc class back, but i think that would be a HUGE step backwards.

Necros have been expanded to a point where they're actually playable as a solo class pretty well, and an asset to a group as well. Not to say there isn't room for improvement, but they're prettymuch on par with their role back in sojourn.

Conjurers used to have a phenominal role in zoning. The elementals they conjured were 2k+ hp meatshields that the conjurers stoneskined. In addition, if a fire elemental was used, the conjurer could actually cast "fireball" at the fire elemental to heal it! This was in addition to the healing the cleric of the group could offer. They were an INCREDIBLE class that made the PC warriors pale in comparison to their tank ability. Don't get me wrong, PC tanks still existed as monks or warriors, and their rescue ability and ability to take over tanking while the mental was healed was paramount. The fun of having a fire elemental tank in those days was when the mob would incendiary cloud and heal your tank to full. The changes that turned a conjurer into the elementalist of today certainly changed the role and balance of the class. Now it is a rather effective solo class, but not incredibly desireable for groups. Total support role.

Tis a shame that monks were destroyed. Berserker would kick ass. And bring back doombringer/avernus!

Del
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:37 am

Shevarash wrote:Myconids were never finished,

For shame!
Xolan
Sojourner

Postby Xolan » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:50 pm

Gormal wrote:PLEASE INCORPORATE PROSTITUTION RAPE AN BACCURAT INTO THE GAME I CANNOT EXAPLIN WHY BUT IT WILL SAVE TORIL

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.. I almost pissed myself.

You successfully rape a homeless myconid.
You failed in your attempt to pay a hooker.
You win 12 dolla! at Baccurat table! Big weeeeeeeeeener!

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”