How are you adjusting to the object changes?

A forum for discussion of the object changes...one thread per item please. Read the first post!

I'm fine. Haven't had to change my gameplay at all.
11%
I've had to shuffle items around (inc. from my alt) to remain viable.
34%
My same items have taken on different rolls, so it's changed my play a little bit.
9%
I'm a useless hunk of meat, and am completely useless to a group now.
21%
I'll be fine, but am waiting for final changes to be made to "deck myself out" again.
26%

Total votes: 92
Cyric
FORGER AREAS

Postby Cyric » Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:21 pm

I realize that some respond with "quitting" (or more appropriately vociferously threatening to quit, but not really going away), but we're curious as to how the equipment changes have affected your gameplay. This is less of a linear poll, and I realize there's some crossover. Please vote for what you think you've done to adjust. Once again honesty is appreciated.
Last edited by Cyric on Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malia
Sojourner

Postby Malia » Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:38 pm

again this is gonna be wide range diffrences from tanks vs casters

As a caster its not going to affect me at all.. i still have zoneable hp.

As a hitter, my functionality just went down the tubes. Infact id say i dont even do enough to be considerd a hitter. I still have uses such as scouting, luring, cr. But I like being a damage machine too.
Dugmaren mutters in a surly voice 'Got any new strategy or going to continue with the "throw bodies at them til they get bored"? '

Dranth group-says 'i started drinkin when i found out galzar would be here'

Nerox says 'careful she goes from 0 to bitch in .00000001 seconds'

Mugo ASSOC:: 'ah got it on my gaytimer now :P'
Ihazim
Sojourner

Postby Ihazim » Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:42 pm

grey elf rogues really suffer through the hitpoint reduction. i could try and wear more severe hp gear but not without a major reduction in hit/dam. As it was before i took a significant sacrifice on hps, now im even more laughable :p.
Izisayyin
Sojourner

Postby Izisayyin » Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:11 pm

Note: I voted saying "i'm fine" because I am. It hasn't really hurt me any to lose 60hp or 120psp. 60 hp zoning isn't gonna save me from death, 120psp is about 1.5 ultrablasts I lost.

The way this affects me: I no longer have any reason to do any zone for EQ, for the most part. Psionicist EQ has been almost entirely removed from the game. My now shoddy mage EQ is the best I can do.

Though I would like to thank whoever owns Clouds for thinking of psionicists.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:20 pm

There's no "Let's put in the idea of Thilindel's enhancing innate stats" thread where it's pretty overwhelming players want to boost stats at guildmaster option :) I think that alone should offset eq nukes and mods.

(Such shameless self promotion :P I really wanna see guildmasters offer tho ..best of all so does everybody else)
Guw
Sojourner

There's a silver lining..

Postby Guw » Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:54 pm

Guw has gone back under his bridge until the storm passes.

It's the change in saves I think have hit my warrior hardest.

In the mean time I've shifted across to a less-equipment-reliant mage class (my first mage!) and am having a ball with it.

So the changes have a silver lining for me after all :)
Sszantiel
Sojourner

Postby Sszantiel » Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:16 am

My poor dire lost 9 damroll and 20 ac so he can't tank or do decent damage. Thus my vote: I'm useless
Ihazim
Sojourner

Postby Ihazim » Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:03 am

also on a side note. For all the newbies to scared to post for fear of flaming, i think newbies fared the worst in the eq changes.
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:25 am

1) If yer going to put a time limit on when a poll closes, please make it a few weeks minumum, so those that cant log on so often get a chance to examine them etc.

2) In this poll, I voted to what I thought was closest to the main effect(s) Mogr has experienced thus far, but there should have been more poll options imo.

Some more scrutiny and tweaking of some items more in accordance with thier true average difficulty to obtain is required, I think.

Oh, and I havent used Gythka since the changes - dont know if I will again unless its remade 8d4, or 1h. (riiight;)
BEER
torkur
Sojourner

Postby torkur » Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:57 am

My mages lost about 75-90 hp and a couple cool things like sense life, pfl, etc. All in all, a couple things I disagree with, but good changes and won't affect zoning hardly at all.

My warrior is throwing away/bagging things that used to be cool looking and useful from jot/TF/cc/vault/sf/etc, to replace with AV eq (which you can solo/2man easily) just to get back the armor class I lost, let alone losing a ton of saves and hit/dam. He's basically back to having crap eq when I used to have his eq tailored how I enjoyed and with things I liked the styles of, while still being able to tank any zone I cared to go to.

My bard and my battlecleric eq had similar melee downgrades, though less effects in ac, saves, and hit/dam. They are salvagable, though, given they had on what my warrior had "improved" upon by doing "harder" zones.....

Basically, the changes nerfed my melee into uselessness and made my mages more godly.
Waelos
Sojourner

Postby Waelos » Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:55 am

I'm fine. . . there wasn't an option for 'I've improved, keep making things better' though ;)

As far as newbies getting the shaft. . . I don't think so. I just think that there are about 70% of the items left out there that people have not ID'd yet. A TON of mid-low level items are really quite spiffy for the difficulty of obtaining them. Many mid-low level items have been upgraded. Ice bear boots? Used to suck. . now? they're awesome. The UF cloak used to get it? Hey, ID that. It is significantly better than it ever was. There's a bunch of stuff. . . just have to look for it.

As for myself, I was upgraded, for the most part. I lost about 30 hps (part of that was because I've chosen to no longer wear some hp eq) and am 31 48 -95 AC without spells, -3save para, -2save petri, -10 breath,
-10 spell. And there is room for improvement.

I think the changes are for the most part good. . just need to keep tweaking the anomolies and get melee balanced =)

Thanks!

Lost.
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:37 am

I voted with my feet already.
Teralyn
Sojourner

Postby Teralyn » Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:39 am

Well, being a rogue with mediocre eq at best, I took a rather considerable hr/dr drop. My hps didn't drop/increase only because I have no +hp eq. But I can no longer hit nearly as well as I could. So basically now all I'm good for is hiding and sneaking around. I'm sure you guys will get everything straightend out the way you want it. Thanks for letting me insert my 2cents.

-Teralyn/Serraie
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:28 pm

To sum up what seems to be the consensus:

Cleric types - "what, there were EQ changes?"

Warriors - "Ack need more ac now"

Casters - "ouch, that hurt but I was already dead when they switched to me anyway and what I lost was in hps was about what I was expecting."

Rangers - "ouch that hurt a bit but not gonna change my roll as 1W god!"

Anti/pali - "Hey, I can play my class again!" Woot!

Bards - "ponder" Song changes? No haste? Is that even right?

Rogues - An EQ Change steps out from hiding, From out of no where an Eq change strikes RIP ...
"Um, can you take your foot off my neck now please?"

PSI - "OUCH OUCH OUCH OUCH" Welcome to Torilmud please make your choice please.
Areandon
Sojourner

Postby Areandon » Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:21 pm

First lemme note i'm a newbie and I don't have all this cool eq.

My chanter took the biggest hit. Lost some hps and a bunch of ac. The ac actually hurts most. I now last about 2 rounds scaled and blurred in DS.

My hitter didn't do too bad. He also lost a bunch of ac and some hit/dam, but it doesn't seem to affect this char much.

This seems exactly the opposite effect from what i hear of the more veteran players.
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:41 pm

I posted something to this effect on the initial announcement but it got axed..either that or it didn't get saved :P

Either way, I'll re-iterate. At some point there was this huge armsrace for melee to have massive damage, being that there were only sorcs and monks, so melee besides bigbys and meteor swarm was the main source of damage.

Sorcs got split, and all items got reduced. Most 1h weapons got dinged down to +2 +1, 2h weapons down to +4 +3, etc.

Melee got kinda castrated, and all of a sudden invokers came out to do MASSIVE damage. To the point I heard an imm say "Inferno will never be cast by mobs because it would vaporize a party"

So we made do, it made sense looking back at the artifacts, even the hard to get weapons that just skyrocketed hit/dam.

But now I see new damage spells being put in for invokers, different ways for them to do massive damage, so that you can have more in a group (avoiding feedback), and you're axing melee damage again. Can we honestly say that melee damage is what was making fights so easy?.. Is -6 damage on every fighter going to make fights harder?.. what about the huge damage spells. Invokers aren't the only ones. Every class has its own fair share of nukes now. When I was a druid it was Cyclone and Doom. Everyone is their own little nuker, and melee STILL gets downgraded.

Seems odd to me.
Izisayyin
Sojourner

Postby Izisayyin » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:43 pm

Ensis wrote:I posted something to this effect on the initial announcement but it got axed..either that or it didn't get saved :P

Either way, I'll re-iterate. At some point there was this huge armsrace for melee to have massive damage, being that there were only sorcs and monks, so melee besides bigbys and meteor swarm was the main source of damage.

Sorcs got split, and all items got reduced. Most 1h weapons got dinged down to +2 +1, 2h weapons down to +4 +3, etc.

Melee got kinda castrated, and all of a sudden invokers came out to do MASSIVE damage. To the point I heard an imm say "Inferno will never be cast by mobs because it would vaporize a party"

So we made do, it made sense looking back at the artifacts, even the hard to get weapons that just skyrocketed hit/dam.

But now I see new damage spells being put in for invokers, different ways for them to do massive damage, so that you can have more in a group (avoiding feedback), and you're axing melee damage again. Can we honestly say that melee damage is what was making fights so easy?.. Is -6 damage on every fighter going to make fights harder?.. what about the huge damage spells. Invokers aren't the only ones. Every class has its own fair share of nukes now. When I was a druid it was Cyclone and Doom. Everyone is their own little nuker, and melee STILL gets downgraded.

Seems odd to me.

While I won't attempt to comment on the rest, since I wasn't around back in the days of sorcs/etc. But, on to the new invoker damage spells -- it does not avoid feedback. Ball lightning feeds back quite nicely with Inferno from what we've seen/been told.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:43 pm

Ensis wrote:...Every class has its own fair share of nukes now....

Not clerics :P
mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:12 pm

old depok wrote:PSI - "OUCH OUCH OUCH OUCH" Welcome to Torilmud please make your choice please.

Yeah that sounds about right Depok. I lost nearly 100hps, 100psp (not counting my crystal, that is another 75psp) 50 moves, 8 sv_spell and +8max_pow.

I think psp/mana, max_pow and max_cha are going to be really overlooked because only psi and bard/bchanter are the only classes that use them (yuan use mana but I don't think they go out looking for it).
Lilithelle stops using a softly throbbing piece of flesh.
Gura group-says 'ill go solo the biznatch, just don't tell Stamm'
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'is it bad that the two words i think of when i see yer title are hottub and cthulhu? :('
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:06 am

eradicate undead, full harm.

those are plenty big.
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:30 am

Thats funny ;)
Branthur
Sojourner

Postby Branthur » Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:38 am

rofl..never thought I'd see someone actually say Full Tickle was "plenty big"
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:05 am

Vahok lost about 6 damage, 6 hit give or take. Hitpoints I took a pretty heavy blow (around 100, depends on the eq shuffle). The main beef I have is the loss of prots, especially fire. Also, finding now, because I tried as warrior to only wear eq with both hp and dam/hit eq (instead of how some fellow warriors just wore hps), a ton of my higher level eq got torched. In a strange twist, I've been going back to eq I kinda outgrew.

I can live with the changes, but I'm a little annoyed eq that was semi valuable (wrist razor, war helm, spider rings) are barely better then eq I wore as lower player (electrum rings, redgold, etc.)

AC generally was a nice improvement however, and I do like some weapons got cursed. I found the combo of decent hp and dam/hit is very hard to find these days. Before, I was trading off AC for this combo, now it seems I have to be more picky because AC isn't the issue anymore. I'll rate the changes one and half steps forward, one step back.
Meatshield
Stamm
Sojourner

Postby Stamm » Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:59 pm

Swapped a few items out. Had my con ruined! Ruined I tell you, aaaargh! (Nah I'm joking, I just fixed it :P)

Until I get hold of something to fix my con I'm not back to where I was, but when I do... I'll be down something like 60 hps, up maybe 4 hit/dam in total. Gained some prots, gained some saves. AC is difficult to remember exactly, I think I'm down less than 10 AC, which is neither here nor there.

Basically all the changes meant for me is switching some items around, just that I haven't got all the items I need to switch around yet, but eventually I will.

Biggest gripe from people seems to be about quested items, a few people seem to think that some zones seem to have come out higher or lower in points total than would be expected or considered fair. And the poor psis seem to have lost out on mana.

I think there are some changes that could be made without affecting total points. Do remember that the areas staff weren't told by the new system what the new stats should be, they were instead told how many points could be allocated and based on that they picked stats. I'm sure we could all go through our equipment if we had the points list and change the stats which according to the mud wouldn't be an upgrade but according to us it would be. If you see what I've so badly explained :P

Quests are something very special about Toril. There's the quests like Gythka, and there's the quests which span multiple zones. Last night for example that barb shammer guy Dalar completed his Erlan's quest, I see that as an achievement, but it's up to the staff to decide if it should be enough in itself, or if the equipment should be just that little bit better than what else is around.

I suppose another thing to bear in mind is that everybody can make a pretty good job of justifying changes to stuff, so not everybody is going to be happy... chances are if someone is complaining about chainlink belt and wants to move it back to normal con, if you do that then someone else is going to complain they lost a max con notch :P
Ruagh
Sojourner

Tanks vs Warriors

Postby Ruagh » Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:35 pm

So, you wanted to know what people are thinking? Let me tell what I think, personally. I was trying to be a WARRIOR, unlike goodie TANKS. And most of the time I was. But now - you have left me the glorious option to rescue and to die when the buff spells will drop, or when one key person in the group will die. Thank you very much, but this is not going to happen... I will NEVER be a dumb TANK (ie HP-bloated moving rescuing meatshield). This is especially noticeable now when my best 2h weapon (Myth Drannor 2h sword) has been turned into a useless metal club. I care for the RL more and more, this is what matters to me now - me and my girlfriend, me and my friends... So, I wont say "I will quit" and continue playing while whinning at the same time. I just dont care anymore. Thats all, folks. Good luck on your roads. I am missing most of you very much, but it is the time to choose another way on the crossroads.

With warm regards, signed:
Ruagh Wander Alone, the Weaponsmaster
Va'esse deireadh aep eigean... Something is ending...

Return to “Object Changes”