Areas and Quests from homeland people liked?

For discussion on integrating the players, areas, code, and cool stuff from Homeland into TorilMUD. All discussion welcome.
Dartok
Sojourner

Areas and Quests from homeland people liked?

Postby Dartok » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:46 pm

I think i did most of the areas on homeland at least a couple times and almost all of the quests...here's some ones i thought you come here:

Areas:
Tiamat - Took us 20+ hours to do it the first time including avernus. Somehow they managed to make the reward for difficulty/time actually worth doing it despite it taking that long.

Demi Shadow Plane - Confusing as hell, couple of nice rares, some even nicer quest rewards, and a high degree of uncertainty on what you'd actually end of getting from the place.

Dragoncult Fortress - Reminiscent of CC...relatively small, annoying dragons roaring you, nice short repop time, decent batch of eq, and a nice bastard fight or two at the end. Yay for erinyes' and dracoliches.

Soubar Underhalls - Yeah after we actually figured out how to get into it, it was one of the places we did quite a bit on homeland. Bunch of wild fights in the beginning, a goofy riddle if you don't want to get stuck in the zone, and astral plane as a warzone with a couple decent fights on the grid too. Opening grid had an interesting batch of rares. Nice option at the end to decide if you want item or the other. I'll never forget the first time we did the end fight and realized it was gonna be a messy CR.

Tower of Kenjin - Air plane made it annoying to get back to naked if you spanked. First time you do it you might end up losing all your equipment! Fun and very strange zone, i'd like to ask that the homeland people don't give away the goofy surprise of the first couple fights if this zone comes into toril. Last fight is pretty fun, decent rewards for a relatively short zone (without spanks).

Temple of Ghaundaur - Annoying traps, couple of fun fights and some keyword doors to drive you crazy. Still fun although we didn't do it all that often.

DS - The quests, the grid, the inside, the day you gods put a ridiculously fast repop time in and didn't tell us. Was probably the favorite zone of my guild, and possibly the other ones as well.

TTF - yeah you guys have it, but it's not nearly as tough/fun when it doesn't repop.

Daurgothoth Domain - Had a couple bug problems from the get go, whole lot of eq although most of it wasn't all that good. Some good quests. I always like when the zone makes you decide what eq you want to get instead of bein able to get it all. Bunch of big bad undeads hitting like trucks and repopping right as the big boy starts fearing people around the zone? What's not to like...

Serpent hills - not really an equipment zone, just a place to run through checkin for rares and doin quests. Always loved that place because of how many different loads there were and how hazardous it was to your health.

Temple in the sky and that tower below it - good times with Xulla, couple of decent rares, be a nice smaller zone for the people that aren't totally decked yet.

Crimson Flame - fun, possibly a bit screwy on the bottom, don't put this zone in unless you're gonna make thunderblast like it was on homeland or somehow make all those tblaster just as stun happy with area procs or something.

Labby - Annoying, destroyer of small groups with enough baphotaurs, tons of rares/quests. Led to two pretty nice smaller zones, fire giant lair and the one with the sinister dirk that had some long crazy drow name, which were both pretty good smaller zones.

That place underneath the king in mithril hall - yeah fun little short zone with lich procs and keyword doors. Nice quick zone with mid level gear and a cool lookin bag.

That newer city in the north can't remember the name of it - had the graveyard area with decent pallie boots and the captains circle and the little outpost. Lotta quests and fun stuff to do in there.

Smaller places people had fun expin in - Crystal Caverns, that place underneath it i can't remember the name of that mazok wrote, druid sanc, scorched forest, amiskal's keep

As far as quests go couple that stuck out in my mind:
Shou dragonlord - man what a pain to figure out and wait for the oriental warrior to keep loading everytime you wanted to do another step or see if you were right, but oh so nice rewards.
Malchor quest - not the part that gave you the gate spell but the part that came after. With the forest outside his tower being overrun by demons, the moving portal that liked to split your group up, the entire abyss zone that opened up. Good times
Shield Quest in labby - cool proc shield for shieldpunch/shieldblock despite me bein too lazy to ever finish it.
Orcsplitter quest - Well i know toril doesn't have artifact weapons anymore and the age of 2h weapons is dead, but the quest was fun and a total pain in the ass.
Unholy avenger quest - yeah i know there already is an unholy avenger on toril but i think it's worth bringing the quest over provided all the items will load somewhere in the realm. Can always change the reward in the absence of artis.

That being said - bring artifacts back! And doesn't have to be the same kind of favoritism it was back in the day. Homeland style of artifacts was a cool way to do it. First person to get the item gets the named one that goes on the artifact list, after that anyone who does the zone/quest whatever it comes from gets the same item unnamed with slightly lesser stats. The lesser stats usually included something to the extent of the 8d5 2her being 8d4 and maybe not having something like sense life on it or not having the proc go off as frequently. Lets the first person get some sort of recognition for actually being the first person with slightly better stats as incentive to be the first, and lets everyone else still get an item that's almost as good.

Dartok - Crimson Coalition
Allycis - The Order of Nine
(Yay for dead guilds!)
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Re: Areas and Quests from homeland people liked?

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:53 pm

Dartok wrote:Demi Shadow Plane - Confusing as hell, couple of nice rares, some even nicer quest rewards, and a high degree of uncertainty on what you'd actually end of getting from the place.

Dragoncult Fortress - Reminiscent of CC...relatively small, annoying dragons roaring you, nice short repop time, decent batch of eq, and a nice bastard fight or two at the end. Yay for erinyes' and dracoliches.

tee-hee
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
grundar
Sojourner

Postby grundar » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:51 am

orc temple and crypts = good exp -> hard to figure out the zone part.. i wont be saying how to do it and would ask nobody else do :P

soubar underhalls = very entertaining.. my fav zone also the town itself and the forest were fun to be in

labby = spent most of my time between here, skull gorge and ds

earth plane and water plane = fun

crimson flames = ouch

crypts of darekoth or something like that = undead madness! good exp and challenging place

and i guess i am the one who will advocate the smaller zones getting brought over..

All of the UD! = bring it all.. most homeland zones in ud (expzones and zonelets) rocked..

and on that i say bring all ht's too :P xcept barbie and the ones that are already here.. but yeah bring menzo bloodfist broken tusk and whatever im missing :)

and on quests well the ones i'd like to see here are the twin elven longswords and the huge 5 blades quest
shou wouldnt hurt either hehe
ice rings
dragon headed torques
shield quest from labby
the basilisk armor quest
among every other quest.. hehe
tuh
Sojourner

Postby tuh » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:30 pm

Boo-hoo I get no loving.

I still have Luskan Southbank in the TE format. Although the Homeland staff did a good job converting/correcting the errors.

Captains circle, driders in the basement, small quests, and best of all? The crumbled up, rotted and frail bones of Cyric's faithful that sit beneath my throne :shock:

Anyone ever make it to that room? Ya had to do all the captain's houses first.

tuh aka velsharoon
Burmadapig
Sojourner

Postby Burmadapig » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:55 pm

OMG that was such a pain in the ass to fix! Hey man, good to see ya!

Nazma aka HL Ghaunadaur
Demuladon
Sojourner

Postby Demuladon » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:16 am

All of the UD! = bring it all.. most homeland zones in ud (expzones and zonelets) rocked..

This part sounds like alot of fun - yes please!
Mirlantharn
Sojourner

Postby Mirlantharn » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:13 am

I actually enjoyed the Homeland version of Waterdeep than the Toril version. It was MUCH larger, more detailed, and felt more like the City Of Splendors. I will say though that the southeast portion, where the main road was just inside of the city gates, I didn't care for there. It had two parallel streets within spitting distance from eachother, and seemed almost an afterthought to the rest of the city. If those two roads hadn't been so close and nearly identical (IIRC just 2 directions different), I would have totally enjoyed Homeland's without any hint of a question.
-Mirlantharn
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:24 am

I guess this'll be a more inside joke than anything, but I always enjoyed when Waterdeep reset and I saw it scroll by.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:18 pm

Mirlantharn wrote:I actually enjoyed the Homeland version of Waterdeep than the Toril version. It was MUCH larger, more detailed, and felt more like the City Of Splendors. I will say though that the southeast portion, where the main road was just inside of the city gates, I didn't care for there. It had two parallel streets within spitting distance from eachother, and seemed almost an afterthought to the rest of the city. If those two roads hadn't been so close and nearly identical (IIRC just 2 directions different), I would have totally enjoyed Homeland's without any hint of a question.
-Mirlantharn

Yeah not to mention the Docks section of Waterdeep in Homeland...Man I worked my ass off to make it reflect the actual layout of the docks on the map I have of Waterdeep from the boxed set. I worked on all the guilds and I even had dungsweepers trolling the city for crap to pick up.

*sniff*
I wish I could have finished fine tuning it but all the crap I had to deal with in RL kept me from getting back on and cleaning up my stuff. I was planning on adding a sea-elf town in the bottom of the harbor because there actually is one there.
Kallinar goes MOO
Confucious say: He who walk around with hand in pocket feel kockie all day.
Eza
Sojourner

Postby Eza » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:07 pm

Demi Shadow Plane - Loved LOVED those swords

Serpent Hills

Labby

The palace place in the Dwarf town. Oh man what fun it was to go in there with my Psionicist.
Holding this in mind
That if we fall, we all fall
And we fall alone
Lathander
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Lathander » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:46 am

Actually, we do plan to get labby and some surrounding zones in. Going to work on this after I finish a project I'm working on.

Lath
Lathander
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Lathander » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:15 am

Hey, as you folks saw with Gargauth adding his zones in, former Homeland area folks can request access to the HL build to either update or build. There is a process to follow with Cyric giving the ultimate approval. Mudmail me if you have questions.

Return to “Homeland Player Integration”