Errants of Waterdeep [OOC Thread]

Discussion concerning the upcoming Toril 2.0 update as well as general 3.5 edition D&D discussion
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:55 pm

I wasn't talking about you :p you at least responded somewhat quickly... Grigsby moved 2 weeks ago and still can't be bothered to check in :p
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:31 pm

I check every hour, but that's 'cause I have nothing better to do w/ my life. *nod me*
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:47 am

Tasan wrote:I wasn't talking about you :p you at least responded somewhat quickly... Grigsby moved 2 weeks ago and still can't be bothered to check in :p

Pfft, I casted my magic missile you wank. I've been in contact with Mori about my character and multiclass build, I've been working on that when I have time. I'm heavily in the midst of removing painted-over paper-mache wallpaper, filling nail holes, along with priming and painting. All of which, mind you, I have to do solo because of a certain pregnant someone. Wagner Power Roller FTW! :P

On a side note, I got both of my books finally (Expanded Psionics Handbook and Complete Psionic), so I can now have the core psionic information at my fingertips instead of clicking through pages and pages of the d20's site.

Most of you know, I'm multiclassing to a Kineticist (Psion), eventually progressing into a Cerebremancer. The ball we retrieved from the last battle was supposed to be a catalyst for the RP for my "changing"....but I'll work that in soon, so you all are aware and not thinking Seret's doing something to me. :P
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:58 am

Oops my post in here never went through... hrm

What rolls do I need to make for swinging at the wolf and attempting to get up? Or should I just count it as trying to get up since I'm not really wanting to attack, just force it to move a bit so I can roll out.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:29 am

I think the bite merely tripped you, not that the wolf is standing over you or anything. As if a dog grabbed your leg and pulled back quickly and with enough force to put you on your ass. Something along those lines.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:44 pm

Well, you can attack and then stand, on the off chance that you roll a critical and kill the wolf before you stand (and thus the wolf gets no AOO). Or you can stand before killing the wolf, though standing incurs an AOO and wolves get a free trip with their bite attacks, which means that it is possible you stand, and the wolf bites you and pulls you down again (net result: free damage for the wolf, against you.)

Tasan is right - the wolf isn't standing in your square; it's in an adjacent square.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:22 pm

moritheil wrote:Well, you can attack and then stand, on the off chance that you roll a critical and kill the wolf before you stand (and thus the wolf gets no AOO). Or you can stand before killing the wolf, though standing incurs an AOO and wolves get a free trip with their bite attacks, which means that it is possible you stand, and the wolf bites you and pulls you down again (net result: free damage for the wolf, against you.)

The wolf's AOO will come before Gormal's action. If Gormal tries to stand up, the wolf will get an AOO while he is still on the ground (at the regular +4 to hit), but since Gormal is still prone, the wolf can't re-trip him. This prevents trip from being COMPLETELY broken =/
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:46 am

Good catch.

Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:13 pm

So... what're we waiting for in the campaign to progress forward? :)
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:05 am

Hrm I made a mistake didnt I, I didn't roll a to hit, just damage.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:11 am

Oh, I thought that was a to-hit roll. Wait, it is a to-hit roll. You updated. Thanks!

Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:22 am

no, the 1d8 is my weapon's damage.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:58 pm

What's my distance to the wolves? I assume i'm within range to charge/attack?
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:02 pm

I think you're about 20' off at most, but your allies might be in the way. You can definitely move-attack.

Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:14 am

So if I try to stand I incur an AOO, but can i take a wussy defensive position? Though that's not incharacter. Any rolls associated with getting up?
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:46 pm

Well, you could have attacked defensively, though it's a bit late since you've already made your attack. Alternatively there is total defense, though that means you cannot attack at all for the round. Neither appears to be an option for you now.

There's no roll to stand; we just see if the wolf hits your AC.

Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:33 pm

Koray's taken 12 damage, he's only got 12hp left--one of you strong guys might wanna do something or we'll be out a cleric LOL.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:23 am

+1 to size? Didn't even consider this... Guess it'd be nice if Mori could give us a bit of a deeper description on things when they attack us :P

Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:41 am

Tasan wrote:+1 to size? Didn't even consider this... Guess it'd be nice if Mori could give us a bit of a deeper description on things when they attack us :P

Halflings get a +1 size bonus to their attack rolls... 8) Has nothing to do with anything attacking us!
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:22 am

I've been reading the thread, and I have to say: Birile is the worst shot ever!

Moritheil: The broad side of a barn tumbles toward Koray beating the crap out of him like everything else does.

Birile: Birile pulls out his halfling warbow made of Jackalope Horns!

Birile: Attack Roll

Birile: Damage Roll

Moritheil: Birile's shot flies past the broad side of a barn!
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:30 am

Well, don't blame him too much - at 2nd level, a bard's likelihood of hitting (that is, BAB) is exactly the same as that of a wizard. Presumably it comes from having to juggle all those instruments.

Besides, almost all of a bard's damage is expressed through other people! :D

Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:57 am

Vigis wrote:I've been reading the thread, and I have to say: Birile is the worst shot ever!

Moritheil: The broad side of a barn tumbles toward Koray beating the crap out of him like everything else does.

Birile: Birile pulls out his halfling warbow made of Jackalope Horns!

Birile: Attack Roll

Birile: Damage Roll

Moritheil: Birile's shot flies past the broad side of a barn!

:(

That hurts. (Much more than my mighty 1-4 damage)

:(

Moritheil wrote:Well, don't blame him too much - at 2nd level, a bard's likelihood of hitting (that is, BAB) is exactly the same as that of a wizard. Presumably it comes from having to juggle all those instruments.

Besides, almost all of a bard's damage is expressed through other people! :D

I'm saving my voice in this encounter as a silent protest.

...Get it? Silent protest? :twisted:
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:19 am

Birile wrote:
Tasan wrote:+1 to size? Didn't even consider this... Guess it'd be nice if Mori could give us a bit of a deeper description on things when they attack us :P

Halflings get a +1 size bonus to their attack rolls... 8) Has nothing to do with anything attacking us!

Boggle... of course it does. Medium on medium action there isn't any change, but size does matter for attacking/defending.

moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:56 am

Wolves are size Medium.

Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:04 am

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Make with the RP thread already! I rolled a natural 20 on my 'poke fun at Birile' roll.

I need more ammo before I can try for my coup de grace on Koray (I hit him with a feint earlier). This time I figure I can roll a natural 20 and add bonuses onto it.
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:24 am

Tasan wrote:
Birile wrote:

Boggle... of course it does. Medium on medium action there isn't any change, but size does matter for attacking/defending.

Actually, no. If you're size small, you get +1 to hit under all circumstances. If you're size small, you ALSO get +1 AC under all circumstances. So the bonuses cancel out if you're attacking someone your own size, but you don't NEED to know the size of the person you're fighting in order to apply your bonus.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:16 am

Sigh, it says so right here:

I know it doesn't matter who's attacking you, but it is nice to know if they are having mod's applied to their stats. It also helps you make decisions like grappling and movement.

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:31 pm

Knowing the specific numbers behind every spell in the game will reduce the game to a complex series of math equations. I'm sure Shevarash and the rest of the staff don't want to have to put pages and pages of help information in so that you can know exactly how much damage you are doing in every conceivable situation that could arise on the mud. If you are really going to dumb the game down that much, why not just switch to Merc codebase and get it over with.

This is your post on the "Knowing the Specifics" thread, where you're venomously arguing that Toril should not tell players the details of the modifiers used for spells and attacks. And here you are in this thread, using charts and graphs to illustrate the fact that Mori should have told you the size category of the wolf attacking you so you would know whether you had a +1 size modifier in combat or not.

So I'm going to bust your balls a little bit. Do you want to know the size categories, AC modifiers, grapple mods, and special abilities of the monsters in the game? Or NOT? It's a wolf. Go fight it. In fact, roll your to-hit, and Mori can roll your damage for you and tell you that you "barely slash" it so that you can maintain your air of immersion, just like you want :D
Last edited by Ragorn on Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Ragorn
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:48 am

Note: I'm down to 8hp from this damned wolf. Someone gimme a hand:P
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:30 am

Ragorn wrote:So I'm going to bust your balls a little bit. Do you want to know the size categories, AC modifiers, grapple mods, and special abilities of the monsters in the game? Or NOT? It's a wolf. Go fight it. In fact, roll your to-hit, and Mori can roll your damage for you and tell you that you "barely slash" it so that you can maintain your air of immersion, just like you want :D

No, I asked if it was ok to tell us what size it was. I can "figure out" the rest for myself. There's a serious difference between Mori spelling everything out and giving me enough information for me to look up or do my own calculations.

Last time I checked, Toril doesn't say:

Your weapon touched the wolf. This may have damaged it.

moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:04 pm

Less infighting, more rolling of opposed trip checks! :lol:

Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:14 am

Gormal wrote:Note: I'm down to 8hp from this damned wolf. Someone gimme a hand:P

Aren't you a dwarven paladin? Or was it battlerager?

*duck*
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:33 pm

Yasden wrote:
Gormal wrote:Note: I'm down to 8hp from this damned wolf. Someone gimme a hand:P

Aren't you a dwarven paladin? Or was it battlerager?

*duck*

(Emphasis mine) I read that as "Power Ranger" for some reason... :lol:
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:37 pm

Mori, when it comes to combat, how do I implement Birile's Tumble in combat? It seems rather difficult to attempt a Tumble check in a play-by-post environment! If it can't be used, I've wasted 5 skill ranks... :cry:
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:22 pm

What if we are starving and the only thing around is a circus? You might need to work for food!

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:33 pm

You can use your Tumble check to try to panhandle for coppers, btw.
- Ragorn
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:38 pm

:evil: I would sing before tumbling. And I wouldn't get coppers, I'd get bonafide gold, damnit! Yes, I'm THAT good!
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:00 am

I suggest you just state that you will try to tumble to avoid attacks of opportunity, and will follow that up with x action.

Either way the attempt is made, so it's not like you suddently don't move if you fail your tumble check. Instead, you move but provoke AOOs.

Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:25 pm

Sounds like a plan. :) Thanks!
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:40 am

moritheil wrote:suddently

Wow... Moritheil wrote SpoB! That's crazy!

moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:51 pm

Tasan wrote:
moritheil wrote:suddently

Wow... Moritheil wrote SpoB! That's crazy!

What's crazy is how fighting a couple of wolves has ground to a halt! :wink:

Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:41 pm

Okay, so I'm lying on the ground with a shortbow in my hands. Standing up provokes an AOO, but lying on the ground I can't attach w/ a shortbow and I take a penalty against melee attacks. So, is being tripped generally the equivalent of "stand up and take the AOO like a man" kinda situation? What's this total defense Mori speaks of when he was talking w/ Gormal about the same situation earlier?
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:59 pm

Birile wrote:Okay, so I'm lying on the ground with a shortbow in my hands. Standing up provokes an AOO, but lying on the ground I can't attach w/ a shortbow and I take a penalty against melee attacks. So, is being tripped generally the equivalent of "stand up and take the AOO like a man" kinda situation? What's this total defense Mori speaks of when he was talking w/ Gormal about the same situation earlier?

Well, in that parlance, being tripped is generally the equivalent of "Oh, that's bad." In real life we refer to a situation wherein one person is attacked while lying prone as "a beating." I think that's the sort of situation the mechanics writers were trying to emphasize. As Rags said, trip is nasty.

Total Defense is a standard action. You give up all your attacks in return for a +4 dodge bonus to AC for the round.

Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:51 pm

Okay, thanks Mori!

I figured I'd just stand and attempt total defense (which, by the way, gives a +6 dodge bonus to AC since I have 5 ranks in Tumble--guess I found another use for the skill *cheer*).

edit: Ha! So I didn't realize there's only one wolf left and he's siccing Koray. Guess I don't need all that defense anyway, but I'll leave my actions as they stand and let some heavy hitter take care of the wolf.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:43 pm

Indeed, Tumble is really nice like that.

moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:53 pm

Is Seret still partly tied up, or not? I've read and re-read the relevant text, and all I can say for sure is that his wrists were unbound. Of course, he's been walking, so it doesn't make sense for his ankles to still be tied, but I just want to make sure we're all on the same page here.

Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:21 pm

I was working under the assumption that Tasan untied him completely.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:41 am

I was working on the assumption that if we'd had him marching before, obviously his ankles weren't tied :p

le dur...

Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:53 pm

Bahah @ Seret.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:19 pm

Yeah ok, dropping out of this nonsense.

Return to “Toril 2.0 Discussion”