DR/Golf Bag in 2.0

Discussion concerning the upcoming Toril 2.0 update as well as general 3.5 edition D&D discussion
moritheil
Sojourner

DR/Golf Bag in 2.0

Postby moritheil » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:39 pm

The 3.5 damage reduction system posits the existence of a few distinct types of weapon damage: magic (+1), epic (+6), adamantine, cold iron, and silver. Aside from unusual damage reductions that depend on the type of damage (bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing) rather than or in addition to the source, these are it. This was a change from 3.0, which had such damage reduction categories, but also had a rule stating that any weapon with enough magical pluses could overcome DR - thus there was a sliding scale of sorts and weapon enhancement was of critical importance.

One of the main issues DnD 3.0 players have taken with 3.5 is that a fighter must maintain a veritable "golf bag" of different weapons and swap them in and out depending on enemies for optimum effect. I don't see that being a concern in Toril 2.0 because we've always swapped weapons (blind weapons/damage proc weapons/bash proc weapons) around depending on the fight.

That said, I wonder if damage reduction will exist. Certainly the immunity of undead/golems to death and sneak attacks will, if implemented, put a serious snag in rogue damge in some zones (CC anyone?), thus suggesting that DR should be implemented to balance fighter and ranger damage against that of rogues, but I could also see an argument that advanced DR would make zoning even more eq-dependent, which would be harmful to new players. Of course, we have always had spectres and the like immune to nonmagic weapons, so there is that to begin with. If DR is implemented, there arises the question of whether iconic weapons will be altered to be like their counterparts (for example, the holy avenger is made of cold iron in 3.5.)
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:20 pm

For certain mobs I think this would be appropriate. Wasn't Avernus on homeland filled with giant Maggots that bludgeon weapons didn't do much damage to them because they where kind of rubbery and squishy?

some fights like that, where you would have to prepare for would be cool imo. making sure everyone who is wielding is wielding a weapon that will do max possible damage.
Talona responds to your petition with 'Sweet, I fixed something!'
Talona LFG: [55 Evil Human Nec] 'Don't make me mud castrate you all.'
Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:34 pm

a DR system would be cool imho, it would be a bit more challenging and engaging to a warrior type. as sits we have rescue triggers and we watch for move orders and bashes. beyond that there isnt alot to warrioring. i think and extra aspect which wouldforce warrior types to think in a battle more than just let triggers run and the general mundane things that we do would be down right nifty!
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
Guardias
Sojourner

Postby Guardias » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:47 pm

Yay for the warrior's golfbag! That is one of the funnest things about being a warrior, we have a sword that slices, one that dices, and one that purees :lol: So yay for damage reduction for mobs and players!
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:07 am

I hope for the introduction of DR for a slightly different reason. I am less concerned with it providing an element of strategy to weapon choice, and more with it adding a method of damage mitigation that does not require +hit point gear. I look foward to the armor with flags like adamantine, hammerblock, spearblock, axeblock, invulnerability, fire resistance, etc.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:35 am

I don't suppose there has been any word on this?
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'

Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'

Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'

Return to “Toril 2.0 Discussion”