Hopeful for consideration...a couple things

Discussion concerning the upcoming Toril 2.0 update as well as general 3.5 edition D&D discussion
Thilindel
Sojourner

Hopeful for consideration...a couple things

Postby Thilindel » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:42 am

This started from the other thread, then went to other stuff, so here goes:

EQ calculator needs a little tweaking of common sense. It's so hard to get AC/HP plus hit or damage. There's always an annoying comprimise. Like something is 8 ac 5 hps 1 hit. You can tag 30 hp 20 ac stuff all day, but you mix in hitter stats with it, then *ploop* there it goes.

I do know good stuff is in the game but it's not very common :(

I do wish 2.0 Considers that ALL zones have tokens similar to Spob, and that ALL eq is random, "somewhat" This would ensure that all zones are done without prejudice. Also have treasure tiers, so some loads could be +/- quality, just like other games..such as DiabloII. Quality defined as some loads would be similar to cracked in Spob, but other boots, a large may pop instead, but add a little pizzaz to said fight(s) to warrant. Zones would be done in which they are perceived as FUN, not just because x loads there. Lastly, make items load all the way thru a zone, not just at the end. I'm sure most of us can't count how many 90% done with seelie, gf, etc zones we've done where -POW- crash, there goes NOTHING.

Sorry, for the rant, but it does seem that a little applied logic would make for funner and safer times here. Safe defined as your time in the game isn't just thrown away. Dying in zones then having it crash = 'wtf' - what's on TV?
Vaprak
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Vaprak » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:09 pm

Myself personally, I don't think there is nearly enough compromise. Why should everyone be able to have the best stats on every item for every slot for all occasions? I think it's a good idea that people need to switch out equipment for different circumstances, whether it be fighting melee mobs ala Izans entry, dragon smiting, caster heavy zones, etc. What's the fun in always getting your cake, and always being able to eat it too? If there was no compromise between hit/dam and HPs why even bother with going one way or another. This is my personal opinion, btw.
Vaprak, the Destroyer
-Formerly Tempus of HomelandMUD -- pre-merger
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:37 pm

Yep. Diversification is the only way to make a wide variety of more desired, and useful items. To bundle all things in one package is devaluing every other piece of eq in that slot, thus devaluing the zones that it comes from.

I never did believe in the EQ Calculator. I think each zone has unique circumstances that require different treatments to be balanced carefully by some nameless band of zone eq masterminds with a plan for growth. The calculator never got used in a very well balanced environment anyways, so the whole concept was lost before it was applied.
Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:42 pm

very interesting idea you have there, would also stop twinking. Pretty cool imo.
Talona responds to your petition with 'Sweet, I fixed something!'
Talona LFG: [55 Evil Human Nec] 'Don't make me mud castrate you all.'
Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:54 pm

One of my favorite things about Wow is that the majority of equipment is random drops. The same gloves can load 6 times all with different stats.

Maybe a cool idea would be to make a shop that sells high level GOOD items that require a chunk of platinum and a lot of prestige too.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:06 pm

From the Time Sinks discussion:

The point of eq, especially from what we've heard regarding Toril 2.0, is to have a lot of tradeoffs. You could make dozens of zone items based on one tradeoff and using a sliding scale. As an example, let's assume an earring is considered decent at 15hps, and equally decent at 5hps -10ss. In this (simplified) example, that means that 11 earrings can be put in the game without breaking balance, and depending on zone preference, group composition, color scheme, etc. different zones will be done by different people looking for earrings, all without ruining balance. (5hps -10ss, 6hps -9ss, running the gamut all the way to 15 hps 0ss.)

The problem with eq as it currently exists is that there aren't that many in-between choices. Instead, one item is usually flat out better than the other (same hps, but more saves or AC.) More nuanced eq would make it possible for dozens of zones to offer gear for the same slots without any one item being substantially more powerful than another. (Admittedly, the zones in question might have to be rebalanced, but IMHO that's well worth the effort to bring variety back to zoning.)

Of course, the Areas sphere may already have this or some other plan in the works. Ultimately it's up to them.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Glorishan
Sojourner

Postby Glorishan » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:38 pm

moritheil wrote:From the Time Sinks discussion:

The point of eq, especially from what we've heard regarding Toril 2.0, is to have a lot of tradeoffs. You could make dozens of zone items based on one tradeoff and using a sliding scale. As an example, let's assume an earring is considered decent at 15hps, and equally decent at 5hps -10ss. In this (simplified) example, that means that 11 earrings can be put in the game without breaking balance, and depending on zone preference, group composition, color scheme, etc. different zones will be done by different people looking for earrings, all without ruining balance. (5hps -10ss, 6hps -9ss, running the gamut all the way to 15 hps 0ss.)

The problem with eq as it currently exists is that there aren't that many in-between choices. Instead, one item is usually flat out better than the other (same hps, but more saves or AC.) More nuanced eq would make it possible for dozens of zones to offer gear for the same slots without any one item being substantially more powerful than another. (Admittedly, the zones in question might have to be rebalanced, but IMHO that's well worth the effort to bring variety back to zoning.)

Of course, the Areas sphere may already have this or some other plan in the works. Ultimately it's up to them.

I like this idea.
Touk says 'ac > glorishan > mr > touk > hps'
Siamorphe OOC: 'If AFKing is the devil, then Corth is the Antichrist and Glorishan is the False Prophet who supports him.'
Referring to the guild on 8/28/06: Oghma responds to your petition with 'your leadership team averages 280 days MIA :('

Return to “Toril 2.0 Discussion”