necros and liches in 2.0

Discussion concerning the upcoming Toril 2.0 update as well as general 3.5 edition D&D discussion
Teyaha
Sojourner

necros and liches in 2.0

Postby Teyaha » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:37 pm

having not followed any of the 2.0 progress to date i'm finding it daunting trying to find any info on necros and liches in 2.0

what's changing? do they still exist?

the current necro is a blast and powerful late game, although difficult early on. and i made mylife doubly difficult by going snake (god even moreso now..i dont remember how to get out of yuan-ti land. cant die ever!)

it's unlikely 2.0 will see a surge in the evil playerbase, since most of the key players rolled goodie it appears. so just curious if necros will still be able to solo the normal xp areas, or what changes are planned, or if they even will be a selectable class anymore
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:57 am

Liches in 2.0: this link

As for Necros, they will be a subclass. All mage classes are going to be unified into Wizard. Sorcerer will be added as a variant mage class that does not get to remem at will but starts each day with more spells.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:00 am

ah, th at's too bad

looks like toril 2.0 is going to be for the hardcore old-time pen and paper players exclusively

i was never into dungeons and dragons. nobody i grew up with has ever touched a pnp rpg and neither have i. i played toril because it was a good game on it's own

it's starting to look like other players like myself who are into the game and not so much into rp will need several manuals and many hours scrounging old websites to make a lick of sense of the changes

:(

i will surely miss my necro. never had any interest in the lich
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:08 am

I'm not really understanding what you mean when you say you'll "miss" the necro. Necros will still be around. They'll just be able to cast useful spells from some other schools of magic as well.

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18951

The changes have an extra layer of meaning if you're a 3.5 player, but they are by no means hard to understand if you're not. (For that matter, 3.5 itself can be fully learned in under a week - I went from total noob to international-level powergamer in a matter of days.) This is not difficult stuff.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'

Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'

Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Kegor
Sojourner

Re: necros and liches in 2.0

Postby Kegor » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:53 am

Teyaha wrote:it's unlikely 2.0 will see a surge in the evil playerbase, since most of the key players rolled goodie it appears.

I would say that's a fair bet. There is only one thing that could restore evil characters back beyond solo and small group uses, and it has been beaten to death for years. You should've rolled a human necro so you could group with paladins (gotta love double standards).
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:03 am

Teyaha wrote:ah, th at's too bad

looks like toril 2.0 is going to be for the hardcore old-time pen and paper players exclusively

i was never into dungeons and dragons. nobody i grew up with has ever touched a pnp rpg and neither have i. i played toril because it was a good game on it's own

it's starting to look like other players like myself who are into the game and not so much into rp will need several manuals and many hours scrounging old websites to make a lick of sense of the changes

There will be nice helpfiles I'm sure. It will be different, but to rule it out as overcomplicated without even seeing it seems foolish to me. Overcomplicated is just a psychological mindset anyhow (YOU CAN DOOOO EEEIIITTT!).
Teyaha
Sojourner

Re: necros and liches in 2.0

Postby Teyaha » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:28 pm

Jaznolg wrote:
Teyaha wrote:it's unlikely 2.0 will see a surge in the evil playerbase, since most of the key players rolled goodie it appears.

I would say that's a fair bet. There is only one thing that could restore evil characters back beyond solo and small group uses, and it has been beaten to death for years. You should've rolled a human necro so you could group with paladins (gotta love double standards).

i will be rolling a human necro after i finish this last 15% to 50 on the snake. evils are dead :(
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:29 pm

I think 2.0 will fully be playable by those of us who have never done the paper and pen thing .. heck we picked up this game just fine, I remember people having to explain AC and hit/damrolls now that all seems elementary ... If you dont understand the basics, I know any library has extensive rpg sections, go borrow a book, read up on it online .. plus there have been numerous explanations here on the BBS about different roles and classes, different ways of doing things .. the first couple of weeks will be lessons for all of us, after a while we wont even miss this old way except by fond remembrances ...
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:52 pm

Teyaha wrote:looks like toril 2.0 is going to be for the hardcore old-time pen and paper players exclusively

In fact, it seems like it will be quite the opposite. Right now, the game is (loosely) based on second edition D&D, which was far more complicated than anything that has come since. Besides, it isn't like you will be thrown into a game with no help files or avenues of communication such as these forums, petitioning, or help channels.

Return to “Toril 2.0 Discussion”