Rambling about July 1, 2008

Discussion concerning the upcoming Toril 2.0 update as well as general 3.5 edition D&D discussion
Todrael
Sojourner

Rambling about July 1, 2008

Postby Todrael » Thu May 15, 2008 11:55 pm

I first picked this date as a formal retirement date for my playing of the mud sometime in mid January. I had been optimistic that Toril 2.0 would be in by the new year, considering Shev's posts at the time, and his conversations on GCC, including the infamous comment that it was '90% complete'. After missing the new years date, I was then optimistic that Toril 2.0 would be in by mid-year 2008. Then I was pessimistic. Then I decided I wasn't having much fun, and my attitude was turning toxic.

I used to be such a good newbie helper... now we don't really have newbies. At all. Some might log on for a few minutes once or twice a month... but by answering their questions honestly ("It's difficult to find groups from levels 20-45", "We don't know when [changes|fixes] are going in, we've been waiting a while", etc), they often disappear.

I've played here for more than 12 years. I can't even remember when I started - back in the dark ages of my history, unremembered youth. I'll likely come back in the future. But July 1, I had set as a date for me to stop playing and rejuvenate myself with some RL and other things.

Then I thought, "Oh, maybe I should just go with something more important and symbolic, like the anniversary of when Shev posted about Toril 2.0," especially since those posts were what brought me back to the mud. So I looked that up. Turns out it was July 1, 2006, on the nose. At the time, he said he had been working on it for 7 months, which makes 2 years and 7 months of development this July. I'm no expert, but that seems a bit excessive, even for a hobby.

It's now my feeling that Toril 2.0 will eventually come, but I don't want to wait the years to see it, playing the same content over and over, abstaining every zone since there's nothing I need, and finding the newbie help channel barren of fresh players. This post is my declaration of that intent.

I will continue to provide TorilEQ and the Todrael's Lair wiki for use by TorilMUD players, and I will continue to update TorilEQ as Kegor provides me new items. Use the wiki as you will. And somebody send me an email when Toril 2.0 comes in.
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Get Toril Guides and Maps at Todrael's Lair
Get Item Stats at TorilEQ
Nurpy Fuzzyfeet
Sojourner

Re: Rambling about July 1, 2

Postby Nurpy Fuzzyfeet » Fri May 16, 2008 12:41 am

Wow, that's almost three years... I haven't been here for the past 2 years so I guess it didn't seem so long to me.

Damn...it's sad to see it end like this.
Aristan group-says 'nurpy=tripod'

Shevarash GCC: 'Tiamat stands here, fighting Nurpy.'
Corth
Sojourner

Re: Rambling about July 1, 2008

Postby Corth » Fri May 16, 2008 10:42 am

I thought it was longer than that. I remember that it was this big secret for a month or so before it was announced. "Psst, shev is working on something big". I was hearing about it all over the place, but nothing was announced. And then finally, the bomb was dropped with a whole lot of fanfare. Toril 2.0! Not just an improved toril. A whole new version of toril. Toril Vista! I have to admit I was kind of excited about it also. Even made tentative plans to play again for a bit after it came out.

At best, things just didn't work out as the forgers planned. Sometimes you can be too ambitious. At worst, the mud was clearly failing when 2.0 was announced and this was a cynical ploy to take some heat off the forgers. Even if it exists and will be released at some point, I think anyone actually expecting that 2.0 will save the mud should go on a date with Sarvis. Yes, it might actually exist and be released one day, but ummm.. who cares?

Toril should have merged into homeland, not the other way around. That moment in time was the last chance to save the franchise. We needed fresh blood, energy, and a new direction. What we got was Shar, Shevarash, and Cyric.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Fri May 16, 2008 2:32 pm

Todrael -

I'm sorry that the wait has been too much for you and that you feel like the existing content has been exhausted. I wish more than all of you that 2.0 had been put in a year ago.

For what it's worth, I sincerely appreciate all of your help with new players and web resources, and I hope you have reason to come back to us soon.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Fri May 16, 2008 2:33 pm

Corth -

I find your insinuation that 2.0 is some sort of PR sham highly insulting. It is completely untrue and ridiculous to suggest. Please don't sully an honest and constructive thread with your rude and baseless accusations.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri May 16, 2008 5:05 pm

I have no idea if its a PR sham or not. I just said, from the perspective of someone on the outside looking in, that at best you were overly ambitious, at worst its a PR sham. Is there a better way that I could describe it without actually seeing the code?

I gotta give you props on the 'sully' word Shev, and your point is well taken. Accordingly, Todrael, I apologize for sullying, and umm, defiling, your retirement thread. I hope that you don't catch a venereal disease as a result of my presence here. Or a parasite! But all kidding aside, you were and are a great player and have contributed a lot to the community over the years. Good luck with all of your future endeavors.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri May 16, 2008 5:37 pm

Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri May 16, 2008 6:57 pm

Seeya on July 8th.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:02 pm

Corth wrote: I think anyone actually expecting that 2.0 will save the mud should go on a date with Sarvis.

Err...?
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:44 am

Hrmm. That was funny 2 months ago. Seriously!

Goddamned slippery mage.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:36 pm

+1 year
Clan Blindhammer
Sojourner

Postby Clan Blindhammer » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:17 am

Shevarash wrote:Corth -

I find your insinuation that 2.0 is some sort of PR sham highly insulting. It is completely untrue and ridiculous to suggest. Please don't sully an honest and constructive thread with your rude and baseless accusations.

I finally got to this area of the BBS since I've returned. Gotta say the only insulting thing I've found as of late is the lack of care the forgers have shown.

Pull the plug, give an update, or install the damn thing. Just do something. Shit.
King Artikerus Blindhammer
---------------
Kiaransalee responds to your petition with 'I have no opinion, keeps me out of trouble.'
Malar responds to your petition with 'you die more than a morigroup'
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'please go away :P'
Rillifane responds to your petition with 'be the nance.... you are the nance... you are one with the nance...'
Desirsar
Sojourner

Postby Desirsar » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:34 am

Pish posh. The MUD hasn't been all that fun for me since the last wipe. You people who started since then have it easy, and every time you shoot down a feature suggestion screaming "No! It'll make the game too easy!" have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Want to play the game on "hard mode"? Wipe.

Leading huge groups of level 10-15 characters into Urlander's Trail for XP or huge groups of 15-20s to Ice Crag for gear (yes, those will be upgrades for you for the first few times you visit there) has easily been the most fun thing to do on the MUD, including dealing with the inevitable one or two people who think adding a 9th person to a group will divide the XP by too much (not realizing they're already getting cap per kill for each kill, but they tend to quiet down when we simply move to something tougher because we have more damage or healing...)

Bringing in 2.0 with a wipe is the easiest way to do this, and making sure as many former players as possible know about the upgrade as well as the wipe will get them back into the game, and bring any friends new to MUDs they've met since leaving along with them. (Plus a little strategic advertising on blogs, MUD sites, RPG forums, etc.)
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:55 am

Seriously doubtful.

Sadly the time of text is gone. Any shot of revival has pretty much passed and only gets further and further away with each passing year of broken promises.
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:59 pm

+2 years (forgot to post last year)

for a total of 5 years and 7 months of development
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Todrael wrote:+2 years (forgot to post last year)

for a total of 5 years and 7 months of development

Actually this is +2 years and 1 day. You should have posted yesterday but it's ok we forgive you :)
The best of WTF statments of '06
--------------------------------------------------------
Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'
Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'
Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:36 am

Now, if only Todrael had actually quit the game...

Return to “Toril 2.0 Discussion”