Amazon Affiliate

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Amazon Affiliate

Postby Ragorn » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:44 pm

Shevarash wrote:TorilMUD has an Amazon affiliate account. I will make it accessible to the players when there is a plan for any funds collected from it that makes sense. I will share such a plan with you when it exists, and I am open to discussing it beforehand.

The donations and the plan for using them are explictly described in the post you linked to. You are free to disagree with my decisions in this regard, but we'd all be better served by a discussion of whate exactly any potential funds would be used for and when is the right time to advertise in the first place.

What would happen if I set up an Amazon Affiliate account, provided the URL to the Toril community, and donated the proceeds to the Paypal link on the main page of the Torilmud site every three months?

You already have a plan for donations. You have people willing to donate via Amazon. I don't understand why this isn't happening. Maybe there are reasons, and maybe you don't want to communicate what they are. But hell, I'll KEEP the money for myself if you don't want it :P
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Corth
Sojourner

Re: Amazon Affiliate

Postby Corth » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:22 pm

I actually did exactly that.. you can see in the original thread from announcements. But then I thought better of it. I decided it really wasn't my place to be self-appointed treasurer of the mud. I would be happy to do it if directed to by a forger. Shrug.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:02 pm

I'd prefer you did not collect money on TorilMUD's behalf.

I will provide a means to officially donate via an Amazon affiliate account when we're ready for it. Given the feedback, I'll make this a higher priority. Thanks for volunteering and taking an interest, in any case.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Raiwen
Sojourner

Postby Raiwen » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:06 pm

I'd like to point out that "being ready" is an intangible.

In truth, you're never really ready.

Perhaps I'm confused, but my understanding of your use of the phrase "being ready" connotates that fund collection and advertising shall commence when 2.0 is implemented (or close to being). Were this MUD a product which did not exist, then I absolutely see the wisdom in this approach. However, there exists a MUD of which we play - now. There is no GoodReason(tm) to not facilitate growth of the current implementation. In my view 2.0 is not a final product, but an upgrade. A good business would be selling their current versions even upon the eve of it's next version - perhaps with cost incentive options for it's existing clients. And yes, this is a business - we spend our good earned time here, so we all can profit from the enjoyment the product brings us.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:10 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

I'd like to point out that as a non-profit MUD using the DIKU codebase and the Forgotten Realms campaign setting, we have to be very careful about how we collect funds. I hope that helps explain why this issue is handled so delicately.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:55 pm

I'd suggest collecting as early as possible, then blowing it all on a full page advertisement in one of the big gaming magazines. Do they still publish Wizard or whatever the hell it was called?

I would think that you'd be okay with the collecting as long as it is kept in a completely separate account from your personal or business funds. Keep firm records of every penny brought in and every cent you spend. I sincerely doubt that you'd have trouble showing that your costs are higher than the income. However, I'm not a lawyer or a CPA so you should probably talk to one or the other to find out how best to handle it.
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”