Laura Bush chastises Burmese gov't

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Laura Bush chastises Burmese gov't

Postby Xisiqomelir » Tue May 06, 2008 4:08 pm

To react to the main news of the day -- thousands of deaths from the cyclone in Burma -- Bush sends his wife out to make a statement. She criticizes the Burmese government for its failure "to issue a timely warning to citizens in the storm's path" and "to meet its people's basic needs."

hehehe
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

Gura: ..btw, being a dick is my god given right as an evil.
Kifle
Sojourner

Re: Laura Bush chastises Burmese gov't

Postby Kifle » Tue May 06, 2008 5:08 pm

Rofl, nice find.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue May 06, 2008 8:25 pm

I guess the referenec here is to hurricane katrina?

I will say this. There was plenty of warning of that Hurricane. A lot of people chose to ignore the warning, or weren't in any position to do anything. 2 days before the hurricane landed there was plenty of discussion about the possibility of a levee failure in the event of a close hit on New Orleans.

The part about providing for the people's basic needs. Yeah, everyone including the feds severely dropped the ball on that one.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Tue May 06, 2008 8:42 pm

Here's a better fact of Laura:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/laura.asp

OR

You can enjoy this tidbit about the Bush family.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D6fxyOtVeI
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Wed May 07, 2008 12:04 am

Corth wrote:I guess the referenec here is to hurricane katrina?

I will say this. There was plenty of warning of that Hurricane. A lot of people chose to ignore the warning, or weren't in any position to do anything. 2 days before the hurricane landed there was plenty of discussion about the possibility of a levee failure in the event of a close hit on New Orleans.

The part about providing for the people's basic needs. Yeah, everyone including the feds severely dropped the ball on that one.

they not only refused to leave before, but many refused to leave after when it was both unsafe and unsanitary. nobody debates the aid debacle after the fact, but one has to wonder how much aid would have really been needed if the residents had not been stubborn.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed May 07, 2008 1:35 am

The media should have been all over the devestating conditions of New Orleans - before the hurricane ever happened.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Wed May 07, 2008 3:02 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:

The media should have been all over the devestating conditions of New Orleans - before the hurricane ever happened.

I didn't see you yammering about it, either. Way to get on your high horse a couple of years too late.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed May 07, 2008 5:50 pm

Birile wrote:
teflor the ranger wrote:

I didn't see you yammering about it, either. Way to get on your high horse a couple of years too late.

What high horse? I never complained about the conditions in New Orleans, before or after the hurricane. Way to accuse somebody of nothing.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Wed May 07, 2008 7:41 pm

Surprised nobody cares that Laura Bush killed a 17 year old or at least comments on it .. that and how the Bush' fortune was made from financing the Nazi's
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed May 07, 2008 7:45 pm

Yes, she is a horrible person for getting into a car accident at the age of 17.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed May 07, 2008 7:56 pm

Corth wrote:Yes, she is a horrible person for getting into a car accident at the age of 17.

Especially when she wasn't even drinking! We are obviously a morally devoid community.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed May 07, 2008 8:17 pm

Corth wrote:Yes, she is a horrible person for getting into a car accident at the age of 17.

Because Republicans never talk about Ted Kennedy's accident.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed May 07, 2008 9:20 pm

Ragorn wrote:

He was so quick to call for an ambulance. First thing he did after talking to his lawyer and going home.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Wed May 07, 2008 10:40 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:
Birile wrote:
teflor the ranger wrote:

What high horse? I never complained about the conditions in New Orleans, before or after the hurricane. Way to accuse somebody of nothing.

The high horse you were on when you stated the media should have done something before the hurricane. That you never complained about the conditions in New Orleans and then voiced your thoughts on the media not doing that (but somehow should have--like it's their responsibility?) was precisely my point.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu May 08, 2008 12:19 am

teflor the ranger wrote:
Ragorn wrote:

He was so quick to call for an ambulance. First thing he did after talking to his lawyer and going home.

Quoting Teflor's response so Ragorn gets to see it.

Goddamned slippery mage.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu May 08, 2008 1:09 am

Corth wrote:
teflor the ranger wrote:
Ragorn wrote:

Just as fast as Cheney after his hunting trip, right?

Za-ZING.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri May 09, 2008 12:52 am

Birile wrote:
teflor the ranger wrote:
Birile wrote:
teflor the ranger wrote:

The high horse you were on when you stated the media should have done something before the hurricane. That you never complained about the conditions in New Orleans and then voiced your thoughts on the media not doing that (but somehow should have--like it's their responsibility?) was precisely my point.

They should have been. It's not a high horse. Poverty just always sucked, before or after a hurricane. Some of those people needed rescue before they even got wet.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri May 09, 2008 12:54 am

Ragorn wrote:
Corth wrote:
teflor the ranger wrote:
Ragorn wrote:

Just as fast as Cheney after his hunting trip, right?

Za-ZING.

As I recall, medical response was much faster with the Cheney hunting incident. No Za-ZING for you.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Fri May 09, 2008 2:08 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:
Birile wrote:
teflor the ranger wrote:
Birile wrote:
teflor the ranger wrote:

They should have been. It's not a high horse. Poverty just always sucked, before or after a hurricane. Some of those people needed rescue before they even got wet.

New Orleans isn't the only place in the world dealing with poverty. Further, it's more than a little silly to say the media should have been talking about it back then. I still don't understand how you can say they should have been covering that news when you yourself didn't say a thing about it either. Passing off the responsibilities of your newfound morality onto another entity when you weren't doing a darn thing about the situation either is just ridiculous.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri May 09, 2008 3:51 pm

3 Teflor quotes in one post...
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri May 09, 2008 4:09 pm

Birile wrote:New Orleans isn't the only place in the world dealing with poverty. Further, it's more than a little silly to say the media should have been talking about it back then. I still don't understand how you can say they should have been covering that news when you yourself didn't say a thing about it either. Passing off the responsibilities of your newfound morality onto another entity when you weren't doing a darn thing about the situation either is just ridiculous.

Well, I will do my best to explain to you what was meant. Most of the post-hurricane coverage of Katrina victims focused on deep poverty and the government's lack of care for those who live in poverty. Deep poverty and the lack of government priority for impoverished communities existed well before any hurricanes touched the shores of our country.

It is not a newfound morality. Just frustration at the hypocrisy the media used as a stepping stool to jump on its high horse.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Fri May 09, 2008 4:50 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:
Birile wrote:New Orleans isn't the only place in the world dealing with poverty. Further, it's more than a little silly to say the media should have been talking about it back then. I still don't understand how you can say they should have been covering that news when you yourself didn't say a thing about it either. Passing off the responsibilities of your newfound morality onto another entity when you weren't doing a darn thing about the situation either is just ridiculous.

Well, I will do my best to explain to you what was meant. Most of the post-hurricane coverage of Katrina victims focused on deep poverty and the government's lack of care for those who live in poverty. Deep poverty and the lack of government priority for impoverished communities existed well before any hurricanes touched the shores of our country.

It is not a newfound morality. Just frustration at the hypocrisy the media used as a stepping stool to jump on its high horse.

Thanks, I understand what you were trying to say now. However, I don't think it was hypocrisy to point out poverty/lack of government empathy after Hurricane Katrina. I think of it more as an opportunity for a lot of eyes to be opened in this country, including the eyes of the media. *shrug*
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sun May 11, 2008 1:05 am

Gormal wrote:3 Teflor quotes in one post...

Another forum I'm on automatically blocks quotes from people on your foe list.

If only :(
- Ragorn
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sun May 11, 2008 2:36 am

Birile wrote:
teflor the ranger wrote:

Thanks, I understand what you were trying to say now. However, I don't think it was hypocrisy to point out poverty/lack of government empathy after Hurricane Katrina. I think of it more as an opportunity for a lot of eyes to be opened in this country, including the eyes of the media. *shrug*

I think you have a real point there. Perhaps I'm not angry at the media, but more specifically at those within the media who use it to criticize others unfairly.

New, stronger levees in New Orleans could not be cost justified as a pubic works project. There was not very much behind those levees to save. I find that there is no right of entitlement for someone to live underneath sea level in a bowl next to the ocean. Certainly, as a taxpayer, I would not want to be paying for it.
amena wolfsnarl
Sojourner

Postby amena wolfsnarl » Sun May 11, 2008 9:13 pm

You know when you put it like that "living in a bowl below sea level beside the ocean" it does sound kinda stupid to live there. And i would be pissed to if some idiot wanted to spend multi-millions of dollars so those idiots can live there. With today dramatic weather and climate change there's no telling what kinda shit is goin to happen next and living in a place like that is just asking for problems.
Dugmaren tells you 'Welcome to Canada, don't blame us if you're stupid enough to get eaten by the wild life'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sun May 11, 2008 10:26 pm

amena wolfsnarl wrote:You know when you put it like that "living in a bowl below sea level beside the ocean" it does sound kinda stupid to live there. And i would be pissed to if some idiot wanted to spend multi-millions of dollars so those idiots can live there. With today dramatic weather and climate change there's no telling what kinda shit is goin to happen next and living in a place like that is just asking for problems.

There's so much wrong with this post...

teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon May 12, 2008 12:12 am

On the other hand, it's not like they have enough money to move to their summer homes in Maine.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Mon May 12, 2008 3:32 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:On the other hand, it's not like they have enough money to move to their summer homes in Maine.

We'll make you a Liberal yet. Where's Corth? He's next.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon May 12, 2008 4:08 pm

amena wolfsnarl wrote:You know when you put it like that "living in a bowl below sea level beside the ocean" it does sound kinda stupid to live there. And i would be pissed to if some idiot wanted to spend multi-millions of dollars so those idiots can live there. With today dramatic weather and climate change there's no telling what kinda shit is goin to happen next and living in a place like that is just asking for problems.

Living anywhere is asking for problems.

California? Quakes and forest fires. Nevada? Drought. Midwest? Tornados. East/south Coast? Hurricanes. Northeast? Blizzards.

Ok, I guess we can all live in the northeast, as blizzards aren't that bad really. Of course, we're also on a fault line soooooo.....
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon May 12, 2008 5:10 pm

Birile wrote:
teflor the ranger wrote:On the other hand, it's not like they have enough money to move to their summer homes in Maine.

We'll make you a Liberal yet. Where's Corth? He's next.

Governments conservative or liberal have an interest in the welfare of their citizens. It is not supposed to eliminate poverty, just make it possible for those who try hard enough to get out of it.

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”