AoC

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Dalar
Sojourner

Re: AoC

Postby Dalar » Wed May 21, 2008 5:55 am

If you're melee, 3 mobs your level is doable at least at 35, and I went full tank (guardian, but all soldiers can realistically tank). Come onto vent if you want advice.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed May 21, 2008 7:47 am

Looks like a very fun game, but my rig cannot run it. The speed at which software requirements are increasing is just too much for me to keep up with. I can't spend a few grand every couple of years just to play games, so I'm going to bow out for now. Hopefully, hardware will leapfrog and maintain a respectable distance from what publishers put out, but I doubt that will ever happen.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed May 21, 2008 10:42 am

Gormal wrote:Looks like a very fun game, but my rig cannot run it. The speed at which software requirements are increasing is just too much for me to keep up with. I can't spend a few grand every couple of years just to play games, so I'm going to bow out for now. Hopefully, hardware will leapfrog and maintain a respectable distance from what publishers put out, but I doubt that will ever happen.

This is my complaint as well, Gormal; however, it's not as expensive as it once was. You get get a 512mb 9600 series card for around 150, a decent dual core for about 60-70, and 2 gigs of xms corsair for around 50-70. Spend a few bucks more and you can get a 1gig 9000 series card (think they're around 220-250). I bought this rig in hopes it would last a few years (especially the card). It's lasted me I think 2.5, so I'm not too unhappy about it.

Teyaha: What's your take on the 9k series of nvidia cards? I haven't been keeping up with the tech for the past year or so. Hell, I wasn't even aware of quad-core processors. As far as the classes go, I felt the same way about the demon/necro difference -- I went necro anyway for the multiple pets (asthetic purposes). I'm thinking about making a bear shaman for shits and giggles. However, I've noticed quite a bit of difference in classes as the game progresses and they all seem like viable choices unlike some games. Once the kinks are worked out, this game will be amazing imo; however, the healing is going to take a lot of getting used to -- which is why I didn't go healing quite yet (mainly a raid healer in wow).

Like Dartan said, taking 2 mobs at once isn't really a problem once you figure out the mechanics and is the mechanic they do throw at you a lot. I've run into problems of having a tough time of taking on any group of 2 that are not both warrior type mobs w/o a bash ability. If my shield drops mid fight (which seems like it happens more often than I'd like), 2 mobs my own level can really tear into me. However, if there is a couple of levels between us, I can usually take about 3-4 np as my damage bonuses through the level gap really just eat them up. The begining of the levels (10-20-30-etc) are usually the hardest because you're working with either new ranks which are inefficient mana-wise, or the old ranks just don't do enough damage. Once you get into the mid 10's you're fine.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
lothos
Sojourner

Postby lothos » Wed May 21, 2008 12:50 pm

The best bang for the buck right now is the 8800gt/gtx cards on the g92 cores really. With factory overclock they more than keep up with the 9k series.

What I really hate is the US/Euro server segregation. I realize the latency concerns, but that is my choice not theirs to make IMO. Now the guild I game with is on a euro server and I'm stuck on a US server. I have an assassin and ranger both lvl 9 on Dagoth. Aside from a couple friends I am basically alone for now if you want to give me a shout.
*Toril*
Kaye- Barbarian Warrior
Lotot - Human Warrior

*AoC* - Dagoth server
Lothos - Aquilonian Assassin
Aryanna - Cimmerian Ranger
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed May 21, 2008 2:21 pm

I'm playing on the Set server 34 necro and I roll with a 33 Pos... my wife has a baby ranger -- I think level 17 or so on Set as well. I might have a few more people rolling over here soonish, but that depends on cpu upgrades and cash, so... Come on over if you'd like. I'm on as Panocha.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed May 21, 2008 2:48 pm

Gormal wrote:Looks like a very fun game, but my rig cannot run it. The speed at which software requirements are increasing is just too much for me to keep up with. I can't spend a few grand every couple of years just to play games, so I'm going to bow out for now. Hopefully, hardware will leapfrog and maintain a respectable distance from what publishers put out, but I doubt that will ever happen.

My compy:

Intel quad core 2.4 GHz
4 GB RAM
500 GB HDD
ATI 2400 Pro 128 MB (garbage card)
Vista 32
DVD-R and CD-RW dual drives
Wireless NIC

Cost me $730 shipped straight from Dell a month ago. Go on www.fatwallet.com every couple days until you see a really killer promotion (in this case, $350 off and free shipping) and pounce on it.

I know $730 isn't a small amount of money, but it's not "a few grand."
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed May 21, 2008 3:37 pm

http://forums-us.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=6180
http://forums.ageofconan.com/showpost.p ... tcount=127
http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=15891

For FPS issues.

As for the 2-3 mobs, I went Guardian tank spec so yes that amount isn't too much for me :P

Also, you don't need a few grand to get a rig for this game. I think I'm going to be building a new system soon just to prep for raiding in this game as a tank and Starcraft 2/Warhammer.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed May 21, 2008 3:47 pm

Unless you have a registered account, you can't even log into the AoC forums. I was playing on my buddies account I had him type the password in so I can't get in there.
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Wed May 21, 2008 5:06 pm

the 9600 gt, on paper anyway, is quite a bit beefier for the money than the 8800 gt

but, there are problems with the drivers AND problems with many current games.

i'm working a dark templar atm. i dont much care for the lowbie areas being instanced as much as they are. sort of detracts away from the entire mmo part of these games. it's a viable way to deal with spawn competition that was a real issue with lotro on launch day, but it sure makes the game feel empty for a while.

i've made 6 chars to 7 just to try things out. i do like how the classes appear to have milestones at say 10, 20, 30 etc. gives you something to looko forward to. boards say dark templars take off after 30
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed May 21, 2008 5:10 pm

My DT friend is having a blast. He loved playing the shadow knight type of deal in EQ and just about every other MMO that has come out.

Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Wed May 21, 2008 5:26 pm

boo at downtime.

i realize funcom is a european company..but BLEH

oh as to the poster that didnt like the european/us segregation - they had no choice. i know another european based mmorpg develoepr with a game in the pipeline that is also going to be forced to keep european players on the EU servers. reasons? no idea. maybe something legal, maybe cause they make more off your 13 euro than 15 dollars. shrug.

the european/us publishers of 2moons was required to ban all korean ip's.
lothos
Sojourner

Postby lothos » Wed May 21, 2008 6:29 pm

Teyaha wrote:boo at downtime.

oh as to the poster that didnt like the european/us segregation - they had no choice. i know another european based mmorpg develoepr with a game in the pipeline that is also going to be forced to keep european players on the EU servers. reasons? no idea. maybe something legal, maybe cause they make more off your 13 euro than 15 dollars. shrug.

Funcom's decision to segregate was purely on latency issues and the pvp aspect of the game. If you followed any of the dev logs where they were asked the question several times, this was the response.
*Toril*
Kaye- Barbarian Warrior
Lotot - Human Warrior

*AoC* - Dagoth server
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Wed May 21, 2008 6:35 pm

lothos wrote:
Teyaha wrote:boo at downtime.

Funcom's decision to segregate was purely on latency issues and the pvp aspect of the game. If you followed any of the dev logs where they were asked the question several times, this was the response.

that is not an adequate explanation of why they FORCE european players to play only on EU servers. if a european player wants to deal with latency to play on an east coast us server, they should have that choice. what of that european player works 2nd or third shift and has playtimes that coincide with US east coast prime time?

i'm pretty sure there is something else going on here.
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Wed May 21, 2008 6:56 pm

bleh. another hour added to downtime. hopefully it's not an all night thing

apparantly ebonlore (ebonlore.org) abused an exploit and has a few level 80's already on the tyranny server (pvp). funny.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed May 21, 2008 6:58 pm

Ragorn wrote:

My compy:

Intel quad core 2.4 GHz
4 GB RAM
500 GB HDD
ATI 2400 Pro 128 MB (garbage card)
Vista 32
DVD-R and CD-RW dual drives
Wireless NIC

Cost me $730 shipped straight from Dell a month ago. Go on http://www.fatwallet.com every couple days until you see a really killer promotion (in this case, $350 off and free shipping) and pounce on it.

I know $730 isn't a small amount of money, but it's not "a few grand."

Swap that card for a mid-range 9 series nvidia and that's a pretty sexy computer, rags. Now come play aoc.

lothos
Sojourner

Postby lothos » Wed May 21, 2008 7:04 pm

Teyaha wrote:
lothos wrote:

that is not an adequate explanation of why they FORCE european players to play only on EU servers. if a european player wants to deal with latency to play on an east coast us server, they should have that choice. what of that european player works 2nd or third shift and has playtimes that coincide with US east coast prime time?

i'm pretty sure there is something else going on here.

Nope, that's it. There are many of folks in my position trying to play on Euro servers and vice versa that have bitched and that is all we're ever told. If there was a legal reason or something better they would have provided that as it would be far more able to stand up to the questions than simple lag.
*Toril*
Kaye- Barbarian Warrior
Lotot - Human Warrior

*AoC* - Dagoth server
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed May 21, 2008 8:02 pm

Kifle wrote:Swap that card for a mid-range 9 series nvidia and that's a pretty sexy computer, rags.

I plan to.

Now come play aoc.

What part of

don't you understand :)

I'll come play in a month or two when shit like that becomes less frequent.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Wed May 21, 2008 8:22 pm

lol. now it's 5pm pst/8pm est for downtime
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed May 21, 2008 8:39 pm

Ragorn wrote:
Kifle wrote:Swap that card for a mid-range 9 series nvidia and that's a pretty sexy computer, rags.

I plan to.

Now come play aoc.

What part of

I r not reed well :( This downtime doesn't bug me, but man is my wife pissed.

Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed May 21, 2008 9:13 pm

Kifle wrote:
Ragorn wrote:

I plan to.

Now come play aoc.

What part of

I r not reed well :( This downtime doesn't bug me, but man is my wife pissed.

The only solution is lana.

Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Fri May 23, 2008 11:17 am

tempest of set = god mode

(in pve anyway)
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri May 23, 2008 3:51 pm

Teyaha wrote:tempest of set = god mode

(in pve anyway)

PoM is worse. Ranger = god in pvp.

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri May 23, 2008 5:27 pm

Kifle wrote:PoM is worse. Ranger = god in pvp.

SOLD.
- Ragorn
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri May 23, 2008 5:57 pm

Since when? I'd rather be a PoM for the lame AE knockback and shit.

Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Fri May 23, 2008 6:22 pm

ToS has a no cooldown, no DR 0.5s cast aoe root. kill things 8 at a time 2 levels higher than the char.

the first legit 80 across all servers was a tempest of set.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri May 23, 2008 6:36 pm

Dalar wrote:Since when? I'd rather be a PoM for the lame AE knockback and shit.

Yup, I still believe the PoM is the best heal class for solo. The ToS root/ae strategy works, but it very fallible as the root is very short and shit still beast the fuck out of you during root. I just can't see killing 8 things at once 2 lvls above you. First, you'd have to find a group of 8 (which never happens) or you would have to gather them up -- in which case you're mostly dead by the time you do get them together. Then you have to cast the root while getting pulverized. If the root is resisted, you're fucked.

Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri May 23, 2008 6:37 pm

How are you 34 and never seen 8 mobs around? The waterways in Old Taranatia is a sick place to grind. They're beasts in PvE and PvP.

Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Fri May 23, 2008 7:04 pm

Kifle wrote:
Dalar wrote:Since when? I'd rather be a PoM for the lame AE knockback and shit.

Yup, I still believe the PoM is the best heal class for solo. The ToS root/ae strategy works, but it very fallible as the root is very short and shit still beast the fuck out of you during root. I just can't see killing 8 things at once 2 lvls above you. First, you'd have to find a group of 8 (which never happens) or you would have to gather them up -- in which case you're mostly dead by the time you do get them together. Then you have to cast the root while getting pulverized. If the root is resisted, you're fucked.

quicksand lets you kill 8 at a time at low levels

once you are deep enough into thunder, you do so much pbaoe dmg you dont need it anymore. and by then the HoT's suck-less-enough to actually keep you alive at the same time.

and ToS has pretty insane in combat mana regen due to storm crown feats when fighting multiple mobs. usually end the fight with full mana

at low levels, you never get hit except from a ranged mob. remember th is game has spell queue'ng. lightning, queue up and drop a quicksand between you adnt eh mobs running, back up a tick. rinse and repeat.

of all the chars, this one was the easiest 1-20 for me. i tried 6 different classes.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri May 23, 2008 7:15 pm

Dalar wrote:How are you 34 and never seen 8 mobs around? The waterways in Old Taranatia is a sick place to grind. They're beasts in PvE and PvP.

I said 8 mobs in a group... not around. They're mostly in groups of 3 max maybe 4 if there's a roamer. I'm 40 now. Gathering them up is a pain in the ass for a clothie solo.

Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Sun May 25, 2008 10:07 am

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=30396

wehre he's talking about 'blocking'...hold down X. drains stamina, but keeps you alive. since tempest of set use NO stamina for their offense it's pretty handy
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Tue May 27, 2008 4:03 am

Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue May 27, 2008 5:07 pm

I'm impressed. I can't handle that many as a Guardian. I can destroy 2 easily at a time, but 3+ I have to rest after.

Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Wed May 28, 2008 3:29 am

i expect a nerf to ToS and PoM very, very soon to something like this

one has to wonder what the point of beta testing anymore is when they either a) dont see or b) ignore things like this

priests the most powerful pve/pvp class in game....reminds me sooo much of daoc launch, and how albions 'smite cleric' was nerfed within two months to not even be a viable spec anymore

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”