AoC

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Kifle
Sojourner

AoC

Postby Kifle » Fri May 09, 2008 8:24 pm

Think the thread we were talking about this in was deleted -- either that or I don't care enough to look that hard. Anyway, the wife just suprised me with a collectors edition pre-order, so bitches be ridin' mammoths and shit soon. Hit me up on the 17th if you're gonna be playing.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Teyaha
Sojourner

Re: AoC

Postby Teyaha » Fri May 09, 2008 8:49 pm

the old thread is archived

i'm a little concerned with how badly buggy the open beta client was. AoC is one of the only closed beta's i'm not a part of (prob cause i'm not european...dunno. i'm in nearly everything else coming to the states in the next 12 months) so i cant say if the upcoming retail client will be that bad, but my dual core 2 extreme, 9600 gtx2 SLI systems (one on vista 64, theother on xp 32) had pretty even performance - craptastic

tabula rasa was in the same boat this close to their launch, and their buggy client was one of the factors that drove people away at retail (along with the total absence of anything to do post 30)

although i cant give too many details due to nda's i can say that at this point the WAR closed beta client is a lot farther ahead than what AoC showed us last week. i can only hope that the rumors of it being a 'debugging' version of the client is true (no funcom dev has confirmed this)

i do recommend that folks look into their rigs for either game however.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri May 09, 2008 9:09 pm

Hrm, I'm still running on a single core a64 3700+ (2.2ghz), 7800gt (with some heat issues), and 2gig corsair. It ran Assassins Creed and Bioshock pretty well (except some overheating at times). It's no SLI system or anything, but I think it should be able to run new games at least on average settings (except crisis which I haven't tried yet).

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Oghma
Staff Member - Admin

Postby Oghma » Fri May 09, 2008 9:17 pm

Teyaha wrote:the old thread is archived

i'm a little concerned with how badly buggy the open beta client was. AoC is one of the only closed beta's i'm not a part of (prob cause i'm not european...dunno. i'm in nearly everything else coming to the states in the next 12 months) so i cant say if the upcoming retail client will be that bad, but my dual core 2 extreme, 9600 gtx2 SLI systems (one on vista 64, theother on xp 32) had pretty even performance - craptastic

tabula rasa was in the same boat this close to their launch, and their buggy client was one of the factors that drove people away at retail (along with the total absence of anything to do post 30)

although i cant give too many details due to nda's i can say that at this point the WAR closed beta client is a lot farther ahead than what AoC showed us last week. i can only hope that the rumors of it being a 'debugging' version of the client is true (no funcom dev has confirmed this)

i do recommend that folks look into their rigs for either game however.

How do I get into this beta testing lifestyle?
Oghma The Lord of Knowledge, God of Bards
[ Administrator ] of TorilMUD
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Fri May 09, 2008 9:37 pm

starts with being disabled, which eventually leads to having no life. this in turn gives the epic reward "too much free time" :(
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sat May 10, 2008 1:05 am

Rabble crew is going to be there. None of the Toril people except me will be on that weekend I think.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sat May 10, 2008 8:10 am

Dalar wrote:Rabble crew is going to be there. None of the Toril people except me will be on that weekend I think.

Let me know what server you guys are on.

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sun May 11, 2008 1:04 am

I never play MMOs at launch, I'd rather wait out the bugs and shit. I've been burned too many times paying $15 a month for three months of unusable "public open beta." Give me two or three months and I might check it out with yous guys.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Sun May 11, 2008 3:17 am

so true

so far, the only bug-free launches in the states have been city of heroes and WoW. WoW had server issues related to being overrun (they actually stopped selling WoW boxes from december 15th 2004 until february 1st 2005 because of this), but no game or class-crippling bugs like just about everything else since then.

city of heroes was quite a pain-free launch too.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sun May 11, 2008 8:09 pm

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=81753

Registration for customers with pre-order keys has now opened on http://register.ageofconan.com. Registering with a valid pre-order key (such as the Rhino or Mammoth key) is the unique way to be eligible to purchase Early Access for 5€/5$. This fee includes 10 days of game-time as well as the digital download of the client. Hurry though, because the Early Access is only available while supply lasts!

Note that pre-order items such as the Rhino and Mammoth is not available on Early Access accounts. Once an Early Access account is upgraded with the retail key, the virtual item can be claimed. The originally planned level capping of the Early Access has been removed.

The launch date for early access in Europe has been moved forward! Both the US and EU servers open on the 17th of May (5pm GMT). This date used to be the 20th for the EU servers, thus European players are now getting 6 days of early access until the regular launch on May 23rd!

1. No preorder level cap
2. May 17th, 9am PST
3. Fuck yea

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sun May 11, 2008 10:27 pm

I'm excited.

Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Mon May 12, 2008 12:00 am

Funcom has some of the most famously bad launches in gaming history, this won't be any different. AO actually turned into a nice game after a bit of work but the first few months were.....hard. I still think I'm waiting for Cry Gaia, heard some bleh things from my old AO crew who are beta'in AoC atm. If yer expecting WOW you are gonna be in for some culture shock :p
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon May 12, 2008 4:33 am

How bleh is bleh? I'm expecting blood and gore.

Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Mon May 12, 2008 5:18 am

which is the core issue - how long before the novelty of bewbies, blood and gore wears off and the core problems with the game can no longer be ignored?
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Mon May 12, 2008 5:27 am

Eh, it will be a different game, and that's really all I'm looking for. If it's not what I'm looking for, then, well, I'm only out a dinner date with my wife -- and she got a game for herself, so... I'm not really out anything.

Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon May 12, 2008 7:11 am

Yea I'm not looking for the next WoW. I had a blast playing 1-20 in lotro and 1-50+ in EQ2. WoW and Toril were just an addicting bore I couldn't break for a while.

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Mon May 12, 2008 7:55 am

Dalar wrote:Yea I'm not looking for the next WoW. I had a blast playing 1-20 in lotro and 1-50+ in EQ2. WoW and Toril were just an addicting bore I couldn't break for a while.

My sentiments exactly. These games are just a way to kill time between my wife, kids, and job search :)

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon May 12, 2008 2:09 pm

I only play WoW to fill hours, and it's the best game to do that at the moment. I have no interest in finding the "perfect game." WoW is as close to perfectly balanced as you're ever going to find in an MMO, and it's a given that any other game is going to fall short by comparison. Still, I'm just looking for something different, and maybe a game where the PvP is more than tightly controlled battlegrounds, arena win traders, and world PvP gank squads.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Mon May 12, 2008 10:06 pm

Mmm. Downloading the early access client now.

Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue May 13, 2008 12:34 am

Remember to patch on the 14th again after you've finished downloading. There was a major patch today for closed beta (that i'm not part of :( )

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue May 13, 2008 1:30 am

How large is the patch? You'd figure they'd make you download a patched version in the first place...

Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Tue May 13, 2008 3:11 am

Ragorn wrote:I only play WoW to fill hours, and it's the best game to do that at the moment. I have no interest in finding the "perfect game." WoW is as close to perfectly balanced as you're ever going to find in an MMO, and it's a given that any other game is going to fall short by comparison. Still, I'm just looking for something different, and maybe a game where the PvP is more than tightly controlled battlegrounds, arena win traders, and world PvP gank squads.

AoC will probably be a good diversion until warhammer launches. warhammer has some of the best pvp i've seen since DAoC.

when i say pvp i dont mean pk. if you just want pk there are several dozen free korean mmorpg's with pk. some have 'blood' servers, where your victims drop an item or two they have equipped when you pop 'em.

by pvp i mean organized or even solo pvp with a point - rewards, territory, prestige.

although not wellfare epics like WoW has recently instituted, it's still very well done
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue May 13, 2008 5:33 am

From what I hear, Warhammer isn't that great atm either. It's all hype for both games atm.

Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Tue May 13, 2008 5:46 am

true, if we are comparing either game to WoW both end up on the shallow end

but comparing what i'm experiencing in WAR closed beta to what i saw in open beta last week in AoC: evaluating client stability, graphics, accessibility, UI feedback, and only some direct comparisons when it comes to pve content warhammer is a lot farther along in closed beta than AoC was in open beta so close to it's launch. this bodes well for WAR as they have a few months to evaluate what AoC does right, does wrong and time to address any likenesses in their game

i cant go into specifics - mythic and EA are rather diligent about sniffing out people who break NDA's and i'd like to be able to beta test their future products - but i wasnt wrong with Tabula Rasa in saying it wasnt ready for prime time. just based on what i saw last week in AoC, they need another month or two to have a stable and accessible client ready before launch day, and not patch it on launch day which has been the norm lately
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue May 13, 2008 9:19 am

The pvp videos I saw made the pvp in warhammer look like ass. It really detracted from the game and I really hope they change the dynamics of the gameplay.

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue May 13, 2008 10:37 am

Hey Dartan, what classes do you think will be most needed? I'm guessing the hybrids are all going to suck off the bat, is this true?

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue May 13, 2008 5:04 pm

Healers, as always.
- Ragorn
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue May 13, 2008 5:15 pm

Well Teyaha, you were right about TR, but anyone who played until 30 could have told you that. AoC has much more hype atm as well.

As for classes, I have no clue. I'm going Tempest of Set for the whole dps then heal aspect. Priest of Mitra is heal then dps apparently.

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue May 13, 2008 5:17 pm

I really should have played the beta. I guess I could waste a few hours and figure out what the fun yet not completely useless classes are.

Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Wed May 14, 2008 12:20 am

aoc necros are being bashed as weak to start with

that could mean either a) they are weak overall (read: locks when WoW launched) or they make up for it by being ass kickers later on in life

here's to hoping that both aoc and war launch with a FUNCTIONING end-game. seems to me lately too many of these companies are using pvp as an excuse to be lazy asses in putting end game group oriented pve content at launch. pvp is great and all, but for a game you gotta pay monthly for i usually expect some form of pve as well
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Wed May 14, 2008 12:28 am

Dalar wrote:Well Teyaha, you were right about TR, but anyone who played until 30 could have told you that. AoC has much more hype atm as well.

As for classes, I have no clue. I'm going Tempest of Set for the whole dps then heal aspect. Priest of Mitra is heal then dps apparently.

the problem with TR was that many of us closed beta testers were pointing out not only the typical bugs and flaws, but the total lack of any end game even PLANNED starting around may '07. closed beta is funny - you can have real points to make about what the game is lacking to be competitive or point out glaring bugs, and be shot down by fanboi's with 'it's a beta'. they actually used that line on the tr closed beta forums right up to the day before they were taken down and the game launched. sad.

the game wasnt supposed to have any pvp. they say they added pvp due to 'popular request', but the closed beta testers werent asking for it at the time. i think they put pvp in as an excuse to drag ass on putting in something else to do post 30

but that wasnt the only one. i also bashed LOTRO's closed beta for the fact that loremasters were an incomplete class, there was nothing to do end game at launch once you finished all of the book quests, monster play wasnt ready for prime-time and the 'sticky' ui was going to annoy a lot of people (the ui doesnt feel responsive when you hit a hotkey or even click - it's like there's a half second lag before an action starts. unfortunately it is still like this). and of course their lack of true SLI support at launch.

on the flip side in the city of heroes closed beta i was one of the few who actually saw the potential in scrappers and how they would eventually become the true tank/mage class in that game, and lambasted the overal trivial nature it was to herd up 500 mobs your level and kill them at once. 4 months after launch scrappers were fotm. a year after launch scrappers were nerfed in effectiveness by over 30% and in 2007 when city of villains launched ALL characters were nerfed by over 2/3's. the ability to enhance your powers to 300% beyond base was nerfed to 100% max. that's shit that should have been taken care of back when the closed beta testers pointed it out. coh is a damn fun and fine game, although to this day still extremely shallow in content.

i'm really hoping aoc and war buck this trend. WoW sold a crapton just based on the license, but also the game was well polished at release even with it's overrun servers gagging on their hampsters. if tabula rasa had put as much thought in the rest of the game as they did the quest giver in valverde that cusses and gives the quest 'kick crusty in the jimmy' the game would have done a lot better than it is. i'm extremely glad war decided to add an additional year to it's dev time, it was NOT ready to compete even with something like maple story last fall and it's on much better footing now. i'm biased of course having played daoc from launch until new frontiers raped all the fun out of RvR, so i may be looking at the war closed beta through slightly rose-colored glasses as mythic seems to have realized that sweeping ra changes and a total revamp of all rvr content two years after launch while also adding a pve grind required to be competitive was r-tarded and dont plan to repeat that mistake
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed May 14, 2008 2:24 pm

Teyaha wrote:on the flip side in the city of heroes closed beta i was one of the few who actually saw the potential in scrappers and how they would eventually become the true tank/mage class in that game, and lambasted the overal trivial nature it was to herd up 500 mobs your level and kill them at once. 4 months after launch scrappers were fotm. a year after launch scrappers were nerfed in effectiveness by over 30% and in 2007 when city of villains launched ALL characters were nerfed by over 2/3's. the ability to enhance your powers to 300% beyond base was nerfed to 100% max. that's shit that should have been taken care of back when the closed beta testers pointed it out. coh is a damn fun and fine game, although to this day still extremely shallow in content.

To be fair, every AT has been the FOTM at one point or another. Fire/Device Blasters were huge before I2 (the Smoke Grenade fix). /Fire Tankers were universal during I3 and I4, after the Tanker damage upgrade but before ED and the Defense nerf. Ill/Rad and Ill/Kin Controllers have always been popular solo characters. D3 Defenders got big after the Dark Miasma overhaul, and Kin/Elec was really popular until the endurance drain nerfs. When I last played Villian side, SM/Elec and EM/Elec Brutes were huge, as were Bot/Dark Masterminds.

That's one of the reasons I liked CoH so much. They rebalanced the entire game in almost every new issue, which opened up entirely new character concepts that just weren't viable before. Duris does the same thing, classes rise and fall dramatically as time goes on. Toril is just the opposite... casters have always been good, melee has always sucked.
- Ragorn
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed May 14, 2008 10:03 pm

Teyaha wrote:aoc necros are being bashed as weak to start with

that could mean either a) they are weak overall (read: locks when WoW launched) or they make up for it by being ass kickers later on in life

here's to hoping that both aoc and war launch with a FUNCTIONING end-game. seems to me lately too many of these companies are using pvp as an excuse to be lazy asses in putting end game group oriented pve content at launch. pvp is great and all, but for a game you gotta pay monthly for i usually expect some form of pve as well

I have faith that a good PvP system can keep a game alive for a much longer time than PvE. I prefer you guys not use WoW as a point of comparison for PvP because it is horrible. Try CS, DOTA etc.

Also, Teyaha/Tanji, do you guys know anything about where people are going serverwise? I've heard rumors of 2nd from the top.

Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Wed May 14, 2008 11:39 pm

you cant really compare pvp in an mmorpg to pvp in cs or dota - it's really not the same. one cant even really compare hellgate to an mmorpg

the only western mmorpg to do pvp right has been dark age of camelot. besides being built for pvp exclusively (there was NO end game pve and nothing to gain item wise once you hit 50 because the game, at 50, was about earning realm points to spend on realm abilities that further enhanced your character - a far better concept than just shitty gear imo) it gave you a solid reason to pvp - while at the same time they launched with a co-op server with no pvp between the factions and anyone could group with anyone, and a ffa pvp where you could kill anyone just about anywhere

mythic destroyed that game when the gave them trials of atlantis (some would say with the first expansion: shrouded isles which gave a high end raid keep with some stupidly powerful drops) which introduced a pve grind game, and gear that gave a massive advantage in pvp. i cant remember the exact name of the artifact, but my minstrel had a dagger that would proc little red skull head demons that would dps my targets and HEAL me at the same time. the dagger would proc 4-5 per minute on average. i one fight i had 6 up. needless to say, my minstrel was pretty deadly with that thing.

they then further hosed the pvp game by redesingning the frontiers forcing everyone to group to even have a chance, and with new gear and spellcrafting possibilities that gave casters the ability to one-shot people from beyond clip range in most cases.

now they are planning to introduce pure classic servers - daoc without any expansions - and the feedback from the playerbase they have left has been overwhelmingly positive

it's in mmorpg's that most dev's use pvp now as an excuse to skimp on pve and pve ai. one only has to try korean f2p grinder #234634 to see that in action.

but i cant really compare mmorpg's to a game like Warcraft III and CS. you cant exactly get 48 vs. 48 sieges in those games nor build up a persistant avatar that you can constantly upgrade on the same level as you do in mmorpg's.

i have no idea on what server people are gravitating towards, i dont have any time to dedicate to aoc atm - not until some of my contractual obligations in some current alpha's expires end of this summer. i hope they expire in time for WAR, i've already got a few people lined up for that game coming from WoW.

as for city of heroes - my board name on the scrapper forum was JupiterMoon. in the beginning of the game (and during closed alpha) people whinged that scrappers sucked because they were too squishy and were melee oriented. myself and another guy named TheConfessor made a series of movies right when issue 1 hit showing us soloing arch villains. scrappers exploded - as did the nerf cries. they overdid it imo.

i have 5 level 50 masterminds in villains now. i would have to say that right now there is no greater pve power in that game than a thugs/traps mastermind. i solo'd a +2 positron EB with my thugs/traps and didnt lose a single minion and i solo the nemesis tv farm missions with a full team of 8 sitting at the entrance soaking up xp in about 15 mins flat. sort of takes the fun out of it at times, and at other times it's oddly satisfying. the power of that mastermind combo blows away even my level 50 ill/rad, fire/rad, fire/kin and ill/kin controllers. pvp is another story though.
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Thu May 15, 2008 7:18 am

i hope you all got your pre-order codes already

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=93019
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu May 15, 2008 5:20 pm

Kifle/Ragorn, gonna be rolling on Doomsayer. PM me for my messengers if you want to join us. Gonna be a small casual crew of 20ish as usual.

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu May 15, 2008 5:51 pm

I soloed my Stone/Elec brute to 50, finished every mission and story arc, downed every EB along the way without help. Took down Recluse, Posi, Sister, everyone. Only EB I had any trouble with was the mission where you have to kill the dude in the cave and there are whirlwinds knocking you around the room (Mako maybe?)... that one took mass inspirations. Once I hit 50 and started slotting sets, I respecced for a little more AOE, and can easily herd up entire Rikti missions and solo with easy.

That was the thing about that game... anyone who could competently build a character had no challenge.

I'm getting tired of WoW, so I might join the AoC launch. Who knows.
- Ragorn
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Fri May 16, 2008 12:15 am

US Servers (Early Access 17th of May)

PvE Servers

Set
Dagoth
Zug
Omm
Derketo
Thog
Wiccana
Gwahlur (recommended Oceanic)
Anu
PvP Servers

Tyranny
Bane
Deathwisper
Bloodspire (recommended Oceanic)
Doomsayer
RP-PvP Server

Cimmeria
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri May 16, 2008 1:14 am

Ragorn wrote:I'm getting tired of WoW, so I might join the AoC launch. Who knows.

Come to the dark side, Rags!

Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Fri May 16, 2008 2:07 am

I'll see what I can find, although a lot of my old friends from AO are euro's. And any pet class Funcom makes will be semi-godly later in life, its the way they work, always.

Looks like Dagon is gonna be one of them.
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Fri May 16, 2008 11:44 pm

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sun May 18, 2008 8:15 pm

Eh, for some reason my computer doesn't like the game, so I'll be playing on a wuss server (which I heard isn't going to be much of a difference at high levels anyway). It's pretty fun so far. My little necro is a bit of a paper bag, but deals some hefty aoe damage. The pets are almost totally useless (except for sacrificing). Cool thing is they seem like toril necros in that you can have multiple pets (I've had 5 at one time so far).

Overall, it'll be a fun distraction until warhammer.

Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Tue May 20, 2008 9:19 am

so now that (i would assume anyway) you folks have been playing the final release version of the client, what are your impressions? what rigs are you running it on and how is the performance.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue May 20, 2008 11:43 am

Teyaha wrote:so now that (i would assume anyway) you folks have been playing the final release version of the client, what are your impressions? what rigs are you running it on and how is the performance.

2gig ram, old ide 120gig wd hd, 7800gt (underclocked for heat issues), amd64 3700+ (2.2ghz), playing windowed mode at 1024x768 res and low settings. I get around 17fps which gets pretty choppy during pvp and high traffic areas. The textures load really slowly as well. Sometimes the quest mobs load under the ground. I think this has more to do with my HD and vid card than anything, but my RAM is pretty old and I'm not too sure all of the sticks are working properly.

My wife is running on an A64x2 (can't remember the speed), 8600gs (or gst), 2gigs ram, 160gig sata2 seagate HD and playing full screen 1280x1024 med settings. She gets around 20-30fps and has a lot less issues with choppiness.

Anyway, there are definately some balance issues to work out with the damage reduction shields for pvp (dots are horrible in pvp because of this), and the utility pets are pretty worthless so far. I imagine the pets will be upgraded soon as the devs are already pretty active in the necro forum. The feat trees seem decent for the other classes, but the reanimation tree is usless for necros as it only minimally (read: negligable) upgrades a lot of things. The self healing feats aren't very usefull as they only heal about 40 or so hps per fight. Also, the mana consumption is pretty horrid and the regen system needs a bit of work during combat.

But, I'm pretty confident these issues will be worked on rather quickly (a few months probably), so I'm not too worried. It doesn't really detract from the game right now, but if they are still issues in a couple of months, I don't see myself sticking with the class. Regardless of the issues, though, it is still pretty damn fun. The combat system is really inventive and refreshing for an mmo. The classes all seem very different from other mmos, which is also nice to see (so glad it's not trying to be wow). The quest/map system is the best I've ever seen (completely makes sites like thottbot useless). The skills progression is nice as well as it adds more variability within each class along with feat trees. They took the main quest-line idea from lotr and made it actually fun and not an annoyance. I haven't tried any instances yet as I'm only 26... I tried the pvp and the battlegrounds seem pretty fun if I didn't get the choppiness.

All in all, very happy with the game so far and will give it time to mature into a final product within the next year. I'm really crossing my fingers that the graphics issues (choppiness) is not clientside, but if it is I'll spring for a 9k series nvidia card and possibly a MB upgrade so I can transfer my data to my larger, unused sata drive that's sitting in my closet. The necro class has the potential to be the best fucking class in any mmo (read: fun) that I've every played (wow, eq2, lotr). Imagine having 8 pets engulfing a mob while you cover the area in green and black hellfire then walking away from the new corpse with your army trailing behind you. Shit is sick.

Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Tue May 20, 2008 5:42 pm

a lot of the alpha tests i'm involved with are closed for the next few weeks so i have some free time. picked up the game today at best buy. got there 10 mins after opening and it was the last copy. that's interesting.

anyway, it's installing now. the open beta client was a buggy PoS on my main machine (quad core 3.0ghz, dual 8800 gtx 768mb, 1TB raptor RAID 0, 4gb RAM, Vista 32 - cause SLI drivers dont work in 64 yet) but if they werent just blowing smoke up the communitys' ass about it beig a 'debug client' it should run well. this machine gets 20k 3dmarks putting it in the top 10 percentile, just to head off the vista 32 pundits.

so far i havent seen anyone comment about performance with a machine as beefy as mine with a res as high as i usually play - 1920x1200. al of the 'i run at max settings getting 30-45 fps' turn out to be running at a 1200x or lower res. i'll keep you posted.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue May 20, 2008 8:08 pm

Teyaha. there's been a noted display driver issue with the nvidia 8000 series cards. You might not be affected as you probably use driver cleaner and update often. The fix is just to uninstal your drivers/drivercleaner(sweeper)/safemode do it again/then reinstall. Guess it's been giving people quite the boost in fps and ability to play above lower settings. I'm going to have to break down and get a new cpu and vid card.

Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed May 21, 2008 12:13 am

Holy shit. I don't think AoC supports SLI? I"m not sure, but my friend has a similar rig and he disabled SLI and ran driver cleaner to get his fps up.

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed May 21, 2008 12:30 am

Nah, SLI works in AoC, it was just a problem with residual reg entries from previous nvidia drivers. You should tell him to switch back to SLI since he cleaned his drivers.

Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed May 21, 2008 2:42 am

Roomate picked it up today so I'm gonna install it when he finishes and start up. I hope this POS machine can handle it (1.66ghz intel core duo, 2gigs of ram, craptop not made for gaming). Any class suggestions. Dark Templar looks cool.
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Wed May 21, 2008 4:31 am

Kifle wrote:Teyaha. there's been a noted display driver issue with the nvidia 8000 series cards. You might not be affected as you probably use driver cleaner and update often. The fix is just to uninstal your drivers/drivercleaner(sweeper)/safemode do it again/then reinstall. Guess it's been giving people quite the boost in fps and ability to play above lower settings. I'm going to have to break down and get a new cpu and vid card.

the 8 series of nvidia cards have been lemons overall. eq2 still doesnt fully support them and many other games have the same issue

no problems here. can almost run at full settings and get a playable framerate with other players in the area. almost.

the real issue is finding a class. they all feel vanilla at low levels, and they all have issues with 2 mobs at a time - something the game throws at you a lot

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”