Pathfinder RPG

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Pathfinder RPG

Postby Shevarash » Tue May 27, 2008 2:15 pm

Paizo Publishing is in the process of releasing an updated version of D&D 3.5 as an alternative to the new 4th edition rules coming out next month. They're currently doing an open alpha test of the game - you can download a pdf of their rulebook for free - and I have to say that it looks pretty nice. It's not finished by any means, but they've made some pretty interesting tweaks and come up with good solutions for old 3.x problems.

I'm curious if any of you are involved in this already, and what you think of their changes if so. Anyways, here's the link to read about it and download the pdf:

http://paizo.com/store/games/roleplayingGames/p/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Re: Pathfinder RPG

Postby Eilistraee » Tue May 27, 2008 2:25 pm

I've been playing in their first adventure path, the Rise of the Runelords. We're considering adopting the Paizo system to participate in the test, but we haven't yet. I will say though that the adventure is very well done, and Paizo has an excellent track record for quality and accountability. They'd been publishing Dragon Magazine for WotC for several years, and put out some very fine content.

I do agree however that the 3.Paizo system looks pretty good at a quick overview glance.
Eilistraee
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue May 27, 2008 3:25 pm

Haven't tried it, but I did play through the first part of the 4.0 teaser adventure yesterday. I like the system... but it's not D&D. Maybe I said the same thing when 3.0 came out, I don't remember. But the game they've created, while fun and intuitive, completely abandons almost every convention that we've grown accustomed to in a Dungeons and Dragons product. It's very tabletop-MMO.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue May 27, 2008 3:45 pm

That's the impression I've gotten as well, although I haven't be following 4.0 that closely since it's introduction. Despite it's flaws, there's an elegance to the foundation level mechanics of 3.x that's hard to beat. I'm glad Paizo is doing something with it.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue May 27, 2008 4:15 pm

8)

I have my 4.0 books on order and I can't wait to get them. What Wizards has done with D&D is phenomenal. I'm sure people have had their reservations about new editions coming out and I've heard a lot of what Ragorn said: declaring the new edition as not D&D. If you page back through the editions, you'll notice a lot of sweeping changes all the way back to its roots in Chainmail as a miniature battle game. Remember when they threw out Thac0? The saving throw system in 2nd edition was pretty bizarre: save versus Rod anybody? The 4th edition game does take a lot of ideas from MMO's, but then again, where did the MMO's get their roots to begin with?
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue May 27, 2008 4:21 pm

Yayaril wrote: but then again, where did the MMO's get their roots to begin with?

MUDS? :P
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Wed May 28, 2008 7:09 am

ok, so you said it so I have to ask. It's been on my attributes for an extremely long amount of time and I have completely never understood what it did. What the heck is save vs rod for? Like the way my imagination perceives it, a person with high svr is protected against staff attacks and other rod type weapons :P.

Ahha, I guess i never took the time to look up the help saving throws, but it seems i'm correct. That's really quite silly to be saved from a certain type of weapon because of a stat.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Thu May 29, 2008 7:08 pm

I just like the new artwork they've been generating since 3.0, and how the book pages are designed to look like old book pages and stuff. I think that's neat! =)

Sorry, I don't really get into the rules systems anymore, I just use the content and imagery to feed fuel my flying bus to Imagination Land!
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:43 pm

Just downloaded the beta book. I have to say this looks pretty sweet. Once I reconfig the battle system to restore THAC0 I might try to run something with it.
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

Gura: ..btw, being a dick is my god given right as an evil.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:22 pm

Xisiqomelir wrote:Just downloaded the beta book. I have to say this looks pretty sweet. Once I reconfig the battle system to restore THAC0 I might try to run something with it.

Err... why would you want to restore THAC0?
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:25 am

D&D 4.0 = WoW on Paper
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:21 am

Sarvis wrote:
Xisiqomelir wrote:Just downloaded the beta book. I have to say this looks pretty sweet. Once I reconfig the battle system to restore THAC0 I might try to run something with it.

Err... why would you want to restore THAC0?

Gotta keep it real.

Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:12 pm

kwirl wrote:D&D 4.0 = WoW on Paper

No Daz, every character class having internal healing potion secreting organs is a Good Thing for the game!

It's also great that all the character classes now sound like City of Heroes archetypes. What the hell is a "Controller" and what does it have to do with the price of bat guano and sulphur?

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Xisiqomelir wrote:

No Daz, every character class having internal healing potion secreting organs is a Good Thing for the game!

It's also great that all the character classes now sound like City of Heroes archetypes. What the hell is a "Controller" and what does it have to do with the price of bat guano and sulphur?

The nice thing is that nobody gets stuck Playing The Cleric anymore. And on the DM side, encounters are about 500 times easier to build and balance with the new monster level/CR system. It's much easier to pit the party against a huge horde of slavering zombies without the monsters either rolling the party or being completely ineffective.

Like I said elsewhere... 4th edition doesn't feel like D&D, but it's still a fun engine.

But I HATE marking targets. That's ripped straight from Warcraft, and I can just see the big red floating arrow in my mind whenever someone says "and the target is marked."
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:36 pm

Ragorn wrote:
Xisiqomelir wrote:

The nice thing is that nobody gets stuck Playing The Cleric anymore. And on the DM side, encounters are about 500 times easier to build and balance with the new monster level/CR system. It's much easier to pit the party against a huge horde of slavering zombies without the monsters either rolling the party or being completely ineffective.

Like I said elsewhere... 4th edition doesn't feel like D&D, but it's still a fun engine.

But I HATE marking targets. That's ripped straight from Warcraft, and I can just see the big red floating arrow in my mind whenever someone says "and the target is marked."

What's wrong with "Playing the Cleric?" It's better than "Playing the Ranger" aka "Sitting at 3w." ;)

Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:42 pm

Ordered a feeler pack of stuff, including some random junk since I have no clue where all my tabletop gear went to. New DM screen, new dice, bunch of Pathfinder Chronicles books about Golarion, new gaming mat, character sheets and item cards. I bought the campaign setting from Amazon instead of Paizo though, since they had it for $30 instead of $50.

Going to have a solid read of everything then try and scrounge up players to start in Feb. If this turns out great, I'll have successfully avoided every WOT¢ "D&D" product!

Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:21 pm

SEX SEX SEX

Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:25 pm

Nice!
Lathander
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Lathander » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:33 am

You should have seen the 10% coupon for the holiday. By the way, the code is holiday09.

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”