TV Tuner Cards?

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Silverast Rubicyn
Sojourner

TV Tuner Cards?

Postby Silverast Rubicyn » Tue May 27, 2008 6:39 pm

Anyone familiar with these?

I used to have an old ATI TV Wonder that I enjoyed using for years, however it wasnt compatible with Vista when I upgraded last year. I just happened to buy a new one from Newegg ...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6815116015

and while setup in Vista with MCE was extremely simple, I couldn't get it to detect any analong cable channels, nor any OTA HD channels. I figured the card was defective and RMA'd it for a refund ... but I wanted to ask a few questions before I go purchase another one.

I have digital cable service (Time Warner in NYC to be exact). Now I know the card can't receive digital cable channels, but shouldnt the cable line still carry analog cable (for now anyway) that it could pick up and let me watch/record?

Also, can anyone recommend one thats good and they've had experience with?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give!

-Talsor/Ed
Kifle
Sojourner

Re: TV Tuner Cards?

Postby Kifle » Tue May 27, 2008 11:39 pm

Hey, Ed. It all depends on the company whether or not they send analog (certain channel ranges) + digital. A lot of companies are switching to pure digital though, so you would have to contact your company to see if they are still offering analog service. As far as recommending a good card, I'm not very experienced in that area as I've never built a media center PC -- usually deal with business and home computers. But, if nobody else chimes in I'd be happy to help you research and see what I can find for you.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Wed May 28, 2008 11:22 pm

Don't forget that next February all broadcast will be entirely digital.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed May 28, 2008 11:33 pm

Yasden wrote:Don't forget that next February all broadcast will be entirely digital.

Isn't that by location? But yeah, buying a card to work with analog cable would be a bad investment at this point.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Marthammor
Staff Member - Areas
Location: On a Rocky Tor Overlooking a Storm-Ridden Landscape

Postby Marthammor » Thu May 29, 2008 3:34 am

Yasden wrote:Don't forget that next February all broadcast will be entirely digital.

Which only applies if you still get your TV signal from an antenna. Satellite and cable aren't affected by the change as they don't use any of the airwave space the FCC is opening up for other use.

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”